I am afraid of what I will look like when I hit my goals?

Options
So I was thinking about what I would possibly look like when I eventualy reach my goal of losing 150lbs and I am a little scared of what I will see in the mirror. After being overweight my entire life and having 2 kids I know my skin is not going to tighten up to the point I will look like a underwear model so the only picture that keeps coming to mind is me surounded by rolls of hanging loose skin. As I think about that I wonder if I am going to like myself any better looking like that. How is everyone eles feeling?

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time and see what happens. It won't do you any good to obsess over this now. Lose the weight at a reasonable rate, add strength training, and keep hoping for the best. Don't let this fear get in the way. And best of luck!
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    We all worry about this and there's only one way to know for sure- see ya in the "Success Stories" girlfriend!!!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If you work out while losing weight, your skin will tighten up considerably. Consider the people on the biggest loser, though it's an extreme situation and the contest is crazy and cruel, they are not sheathed in hanging skin, why would you be?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Focus on your health rather than your appearance. You'll feel so much better when the weight is off and will extend your life expectancy to be a part of your kids lives for a very long time :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Meh, you can always cover up with clothing/underclothing. However, you can't cover up being fat. You can't cover up being winded by a set of stairs. You can't cover up dying of a heart attack at 40. There are zero downsides to losing the weight, only upsides.

Edit: I just noticed that you're still in your 20s. You have an excellent chance of looking just fine when you get done. There is nothing to worry about. The only thing there is to worry about is remaining 150lbs overweight and the way this will destroy your health and eventually your life.
  • dancindoc508
    dancindoc508 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was afraid of this too, she just did A LOT of strength training while losing the weight. If you lose the weight over time and not too dramatically or quickly you should be okay. You will always have some extra skin but it won't be as dramatic as you think. You are probably picturing the images of people after gastric bypass surgery. Like an earlier post said, you will increase your life expectancy and feel much healthier, that will make you feel much better in the long run.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have some areas that I am not "happy" with but let me tell you I can deal with them over being 76lbs heavier still! I am much happier now than I've ever been. I've done it...I feel good! I am not perfect...I do not like everything I see in the mirror but I didn't like everything I saw in the mirror when I was slim and young either. Change your thinking to being HEALHTY and not so much what you will look like in the end. Health is by far the most important thing!
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can tell you after losing almost 90 lbs myself, I have sagging breasts, I have stretch marks, and some hanging skin. But along my long journey I have learned to love myself and I feel beautiful. I can look past my flaws and know that I am healthy and strong. Keep fighting and work on loving urself! U will do it!
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    From someone that has lost 145 pounds so far I do have lots of excess skin.
    I was obese my whole life and held most of my weight in my stomach.
    I strengthed trained the entire two years it's been now.
    I will need plastic surgery.

I do not regret it.
    I hate looking down and seeing my folds of skin however I feel so much better physically.

This process is about getting healthy and not about your looks.

Best of luck to you on your journey.
  • rae27_au
    rae27_au Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a bit scary thinking about it, but I'm sure it's gotta be better than overweight ( she says fingers crossed at twice your age). I know I'm gonna be saggy baggy as I just have to look at my post pregnancy stretch marked belly, but I think it will still be better and definitely healthier - I've just started but I already am feeling better. And the younger you loose the weight the more elasticity your skin has :flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hey--you're in your twenties--you should be just fine. I'm a lot older than you and I have lost over 55 pounds. I am still a bit saggy but lifting does help a LOT to tighten things up (and I look way better than I did before). I just started lifting in November and I am already a lot more solid (I was pretty squishy for a time). Getting good fats is important to the integrity of your skin. Try not to lose faster than 2 pounds a week for the first 50 pounds and then switch to 1 pound a week after that. If you are losing too fast, it means that you are likely going to have deficits in essential nutrients and that will be reflected in your skin.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That is one of the things that keep me up at night. But, I have diabetes and I would rather have saggy skin than a heart attack.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've got over 20 years on you, lost 100 pounds total and for sure am happier with my body now!! Did lots of weights, toning, sculpting etc..and skins pretty decent. .not flawless by any means, but am I happier now with it...fluck yes!! I say cross that bridge when you get there, good luck! !
  • eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    I was thinner before so I already know what I'll look like. Regarding the hanging and loose skin, as long as you lose the weight slowly and properly, (eating lots of veggies helps with elasticity), moisturize your skin every day, tone your muscles by incorporating weights with your daily exercise and you should do fine.

One thing for sure is that you will FEEL a lot better, you will look younger and your mental state will be in much better place. Just concern yourself with the health part, everything else will follow.

Good luck!
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I have a lot of stretch marks from being overweight my whole life. I know my skin will be dragging on the floor.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    It seems like some people have issues with skin, others don't. It probably boils down to genetics. I'm eating well & lifting, and definitely have some skin issues already. Whatever. I feel & look a million times better. When I first started losing, I'd fret about skin, like many others. Trust me, as you lose it becomes less of a worry. You'll be fine :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Meh, you can always cover up with clothing/underclothing. However, you can't cover up being fat. You can't cover up being winded by a set of stairs. You can't cover up dying of a heart attack at 40. There are zero downsides to losing the weight, only upsides.

Edit: I just noticed that you're still in your 20s. You have an excellent chance of looking just fine when you get done. There is nothing to worry about. The only thing there is to worry about is remaining 150lbs overweight and the way this will destroy your health and eventually your life.

QFT
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'd be more afraid of what I'd look like if I continued to gain weight at the rate I was. :frown:

You're gonna look and FEEL better without those 150 extra pounds, no matter what. Your body will thank you for taking off the weight and adopting a healthier lifestyle. Just do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

this
    also, lose slow, the slower you go, the more time skin has to adapt. remember that skin is very thin, the sagging skin is usually some fat + extra skin, if you go down to athletic body fat, there won't be a lot of sagging. moisturize every day, any cheap moisturizer will do, apply with gentle massage
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 188 pounds and do have excess skin. It really comes down to dressing well. Do the right things while losing the weight...eat well, drink water, strength train. When we start on this weight loss journey...we have what we have...whilst yes the skin annoys me at times and yes ill never have the body of a model...i do have the opportunity to be the best me i can be...and thats all we can really aim for :)