Spinning question- for the ladies only pls

atynk
atynk Posts: 400 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So i ride my bike or take a spinning class 3x a week. I have the padded shorts but yet i go numb down there, and sometimes it is super painful. I try to rest most of my weight on my butt, but still even after spinning at least 2x a week for 8 months i have pain.
Has anyone else had this problem? ideas for solutions??

Replies

• themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    My sister teaches spin, and she's been trying to get me to take her class. She always tells me I need to get the padded shorts and a gel seat... Maybe that'll help
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Check your form. Are you tucking your tailbone under when you're seated? Try to imagine lengthening your tailbone over the seat.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Mmmmmmm. I know I had problems for the first few weeks but after that it seemed easier. In addition to the padded shorts and gel seat, I put a lamswool cover over the seat and that made it more bearable.
    Hopefully the pain will go away. It's not fun if you're hurting!!!!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    I use a gel seat. I've only been spinning for about 6 months and I only do it once a week. The pain in the beginning was ridiculous but I no longer have any pain.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    The angle of the seat has something to do with that. I doubt you can adjust the angle on the spin bike but I might be wrong. Angle it so the nose is down just a bit and same for you your bike. Too far down will keep you sliding toward the nose of the saddle. This should bring you some relief. The shorts primary function is to reduce chafing, the fact that they add a little cushion is nice but not really what it was designed for so they really don't help with the problem you're having but I would definitely keep using them. Some shorts do a better job of cushioning everything than others. The more time you spend on the saddle, the more your body will get used to it and adjust. Standing off the saddle for a minute really does wonders in letting the blood flow back to where it should be but that's really hard to do in the middle of a spin class. Good luck.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    HawkeyeGuy Posts: 183
    Ok, you know every guy that's an MFP member has clicked and read this! Next, let me say, I'm impressed. Anyone who has the sheer willpower to crank through spin class, even when in pain / numb, gets credit in my book.

I am an avid road biker, and this is a common problem for guys as well...though we're talking different 'down there's'. First thing to remember, gel and soft foam isn't always better...firmer seats, and well conditioned "sit bones" are key. But, it sounds like you have the conditioning part down. So, two things come into play: 1. Fit, and 2. Personal 'Geometry". #1 is simple to fix, #2 isn't.

#1 is simply grabbing your instructor 10 min before class and having him / her work through your bike with them. Getting your extension and back angle right is half the battle. (This will help save your knees as well.) Jot down the settings for your bars, seat post and seat, and see if that helps.

#2 is all about you! Everybody's 'special region' is a little bit different, and no single style saddle is going to fit everyone. (I've been through 4 different saddles at around $200 a piece to keep my 'little buddy' from going numb on long rides.) It may just mean that no matter how many adjustments you make, that saddle just isn't going to work for your girl parts. You might want to ask the gym (since you're obviously a damn dedicated member) to replace a few of the bikes with different saddles. Unfortunately, this may be your only solution. There's only one reason your 'spot' should go numb...and this is NOT it!!!
  • petalpusher1957
    petalpusher1957 Posts: 3 Member
    Padded shorts and Gel seats, and possibly form. I've been spinning for over a year, and never got numb, sometimes ouchie at first. You need to change something;)
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    I spin and cycle. I have never used padded shorts or a gel seat in spin, but always padded shorts on my bike. I had a little soreness when I first started and still get some if I haven't been riding for a while and start up again. I think it is your improper form that is causing the numbness. Form is SO important, most instructors will point out if you have bad form, but some don't.
This discussion has been closed.