Bodybuilders? Heart rate fat burning zone for keeping muscle

Options
I do not personally know any bodybuilders so I have nobody to talk to when I have questions. I am slowly figuring out how to build muscle and not lose it by doing cardio. 2 years ago I was completely out of shape to the point where it concerned me. I started exercising. Started off riding a bike then moved into running. I was able to drop weight like crazy. But I did not look athletic. I did look like a marathon runner. 6 months ago I cut the cardio way down stepped the strength training way up. This is when I learned about staying in the heart rate/fat burning zone during cardio as to not burn muscle (which is what I was doing for the last year and a half).

What I am trying to figure out is, is the heart rate/fat burning zone what I am really supposed to be watching? What is a good cardio routine that a bodybuilder actually uses?

Thanks for the help.

Scotty.

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    what burns muscle is not using your type II muscle while eating at a calorie deficit.

Cardio had nothing to do with your muscle loss. It was not doing any sort of training to work your more powerful muscle fibre types for years that lost it.

When the body is in calorie deficit, it sheds all kinds of mass. And it's VERY much a case of "if you don't use it, you lose it". Not using powerful lean mass and you don't have food energy to maintain it? Well kiss it goodbye.

Eat at maintainence, and start lifting iron. It will come back.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider HIIT cardio. That seems to be popular amongst bodybuilders, especially when they are competing.

Here's a link to a podcast episode that talks about it in pretty decent detail: http://www.brinkzone.com/general-fitness-info/brinkzone-radio-covers-hiit-training/
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I run a mile and a half 2x a week. HIITS everyday before my workout. 60 sec 7mph, 60 sec brisk walk...for 10 min. After my lift session I do stairs at 55-60spm. Slow dog walks too. I try to stay around the 135-155 bpm.