Going gluten and fruit free

Options
So I went and visited my doctor today and while there I explain that I see a personal trainer and workout five times a week and for the most part I eat pretty good but I only lose two pounds a month. Recently I had a bad case of strep that made me lose eight pounds some of that was muscle mass. He told me to kickstart the weight loss I could for a few days eliminate gluten and fruit. Has anyone done that before? What did you eat since I love bread?

Replies

• misssbluiz
    misssbluiz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Cutting out gluten won't necessarily make you lose weight. And cutting out fruit? Lots of vitamins, minerals and nutrients in them. You should never cut out any food unless it a medical reason where you have to.. not to lose weight.

Keeping the same number of calories, whether you have gluten and fruit or not won't make a difference.

I'm not sure why a doctor would tell you to cut out fruit. Don't take nutrition advice from a doctor... see a dietician or nutritionist.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with fruit?
  • zbareket
    zbareket Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ... eliminate gluten and fruit. Has anyone done that before? What did you eat since I love bread?

Ah. Bread... I gain weight just thinking about it... I love bread too, and to avoid going cold turkey, I substituted for sprouted wheat bread. Sure, it's not as good as baguette or caraway rye, but it's better than nothing (also it has a built-in feature of reduced temptation...). I also love pasta, and there are various gluten-free pastas that are not bad at all. I definitely noticed that it's easier to lose weight without gluten.

Gluten is quite hard on the digestive system. For me, a gluten-free, high-fiber and protein diet seems to do the trick.

As for avoiding fruit: although we all know the benefits of fruits and vegetables, the sugar content of fruits is quite high (not so with veggies). My assumption is that the Dr meant to avoid fruits only during the "kickstart" period, not long term. No gluten and reduced sugar will help set you on a "downward weight slope."

Good luck!
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I dont eat gluten or most fruit, but thats due to food intolerences and not through dislike of them. I LOVE fruit, but my tummy does not!

I generally do low carb and I find I loose weight best on this, but I think thats generally a combination of smart food choices and exercise. Im sure if you ate gluten in the form of complex carbs & some delicious fruit along with a sensible diet you would loose weight.
    Im not sure why a doctor would recommend that without a medical reason??
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    unless you are gluten intolerant, giving up gluten wont do a darn thing. Giving up simple carbs, maybe. Fruit has fiber. I wouldn't give up fiber. So basically, this all sounds like bad advice. Second opinion!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Cutting out gluten won't necessarily make you lose weight. And cutting out fruit? Lots of vitamins, minerals and nutrients in them. You should never cut out any food unless it a medical reason where you have to.. not to lose weight.

Keeping the same number of calories, whether you have gluten and fruit or not won't make a difference.

I'm not sure why a doctor would tell you to cut out fruit. Don't take nutrition advice from a doctor... see a dietician or nutritionist.

It's not long term like three days max
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Is your doctor a nutritionist? What's your calorie goal? Maybe you're not eating enough?
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    i'd recommend kicking gluten for good.
  • TheRagnarok
    Options
    Not so sure about the fruit, it can have rather a lot of sugar in it. Are you going to eat gluten free bread or no bread at all? The bottom line probably is that unless it harms you, experimenting on what your own body responds to is a good thing.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    He may think cutting out fruit and gluten is an easy way to cut calories and thus "kickstart" weight loss.
    Not saying I agree with him.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You could go completely gluten free and still be eating more or less the same macronutrients as before. (Ask me how to gain weight eating brown rice pasta! I'm great at it) I don't see where this would make any difference to your body, especially over a short time frame.

Maybe what he was trying to suggest is an Atkins-like approach? During the beginning "induction" period of the Atkins diet you eat less than 20 grams "net" carbs per day. (Subtract number of fiber grams from number of carbs to get net carbs, more or less.) When you are eating this low carb, fruit can easily push you over your daily total. This does result in weight loss in my experience, but in my experience it also comes right back on and leads to post Atkins freedom binge.
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have allergies...no wheat, or most fruit for me. Tummy feels way better.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. If you don't have celiac or a gluten sensitivity, gluten is not bad for you. Reduce consumption if you want, but all you're basically doing is cutting calories.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. I am intolerant and since finding this out and eliminating almost all gluten my weight loss didn't speed up. I don't eat much gluten free processed junk either. Check out low glycemic index type foods. That might be a better thing to try. Maybe try the lower Glycemic index type fruits. Just a thought.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. If you don't have celiac or a gluten sensitivity, gluten is not bad for you. Reduce consumption if you want, but all you're basically doing is cutting calories.

No it's two pounds a month and I'm 24 so it should be like at least 1-2 pounds a week.

I thought I had food allergies since the scale wasn't budging but that came back fine and I even went to see a metobalosm doctor to check for thyroid or slow metabolism and all that and that was fine. No, I could never give up carbs or fruit for good it's an addiction. When at first I was thinking I had a gluten allergy (runs in my extended family) I tried seeing what would happen if I gave up gluten (glad I went to an allergist) didn't know what I was suppose to be looking for
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    OP, maybe you can open up your diary so we can see what's going on?
  • jennifermsteller
    jennifermsteller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    He sounds like he may be loosely recommending Phase One of the South Beach Diet, which generally limits you to lean meats, vegetables, low fat dairy, and eggs. No fruit, no carbs at all during this stage which is for 2 weeks.

The goal is to kick-start weight loss, but also to reduce your body's cravings for sugar and other carbs.

When my husband and I did it, he lost 10 pounds the first week and I lost 4 (keep in mind I was small to begin with, and was just doing it more as a cleanse and to be supportive). The first couple of days were HARD, because you don't realize how much bread and pasta just fill up your tummy till you're trying to fill it up with V8, celery sticks, cottage cheese, turkey slices, etc. But your stomach size eventually adjusts, and you do kick the addiction to sugar.

I'm not as much of a fan of the program because of the use of artificial sweeteners. I'm into REAL FOOD, so the same can be accomplished following a regimen like that of the Paleo diet. Just eat real, unprocessed food (which automatically excludes pasta and bread). It is higher in fat, but fats that help us feel full and satisfied, and that our body knows what to do with. This website has the basics on how to go Paleo: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-101/

Good luck!
  • leantonedliz
    Options
    FRUIT IS GOOD AND NATURAL. Eliminate crap aka processed stuff. Eat whole foods (fruits, veg, eggs, whole grains, etc.) and minimally processed things like greek yogurt and whole wheat bread. You should definitely not eliminate fruit, it's full of healthy and satiating fiber and vitamins and minerals your body NEEDS. I don't think it would be harmful to go gluten free, but stay away from those gluten free processed snacks, they're not any healthier and often leave you hungrier because they contain more added sugar to make up for flavor.
  • criscreative
    Options
    I am also starting this. I have the same problem as you and I am going to try the gluten free/ or at least minimal gluten intake and see how it goes. I got the Wheat Belly cookbook out of my library and it is an interesting read and the recipes are ones I would easily make and like. I have a friend who used this and she lost weight eating gluten free and felt really good. I would love to hear how it goes for you. I know a lot of people who have chosen to go gluten free and have had a lot of issues with their bodies lessen due to the change. It is in no way unhealthy to eat gluten free so if it helps you or me lose and maintain a healthy weight then it is good. I may not be able to go completely gluten free but I plan on trying to make 1/2 of my week's meal that way just as I make vegetarian meals on certain days. Good Luck!