love love LOVE IT!

MireyGal76
MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
Ok, so I don't know if this is success, chit chat, or fitness and exercise... but I'm picking fitness and exercise.

I'm posting this because I have to share my love for a sport, and hope that maybe my newfound passion incites someone else to try it and maybe love it too.

I have blogged this (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MireyGal76/view/a-year-of-new-found-passion-and-still-loving-it-my-boxing-story-508115) so feel free to look there for a before and after pics...

But what it wont show is the before and after on my heart.

In Sep 2011, my husband and I officially split, but we were living in the same home (house sharing / aka "Nesting") so that the kids could get used to us being "separate" without having to lose their home and school at the same time. It was painful and horrible and the worst time of my life.

Because my ex worked shift work, we created a schedule based on when he worked early... and it resulted in the following schedule. I slept at home Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and I slept elsewhere Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.

That "elsewhere" ranged from: my parent's place, a futon in my sis' dining room, a futon on my co-worker's sunroom; another friend's couch... wherever there was a place. I lived out of my car. I had no safe place, and when I needed to cry, I would find a parking lot by the river.

I was losing my mind... my ex was being "difficult" and we were in mediation, and I was literally losing my mind.

AND THAT'S WHEN I FOUND BOXING

BRINGIT-1.jpg

Boxing gave me:
- strength I never knew I had
- an outlet for my pain
- an outlet for my anger
- a kick *kitten* body
- a realization that I can TOTALLY do ANYTHING I set my mind to
- muscles in places I never knew existed
- and the ability to eat... A LOT OF FOODS...

And joy.

I found joy in boxing.
I come home every Thursday night and I am on fire! Energized! Full of life! Full of strength!

TL/DR

I would TOTALLY recommend this to anyone... don't be afraid to try it. Don't be afraid to look or feel foolish... because by golly, it is freaking INCREDIBLE!!!

oh... and you get to hit people. without getting in trouble.

how cool is that?

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Thank you for sharing this!! I also love boxing; kickboxing, actually, is my true love, athletically speaking. I miss it tremendously and hope to be able to train with a heavy bag again soon.

<3 you, Sandy!! xoxoxo
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    fantastic...I would LOVE to try it!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Thanks for sharing, Sandy! Love the shot.

Boxing isn't my thing (yet?), but I can completely appreciate all the elements you described.
    Bring it on!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    That is awesome! And I was thinking today how I wouldn't mind taking a boxing or MMA style class when I get fitter. :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    I feel the exact same way.

Thanks.

:flowerforyou:
  • MireyGal76
    That is awesome! And I was thinking today how I wouldn't mind taking a boxing or MMA style class when I get fitter. :)

Don't wait... Try now. People see amazing results and the beauty is that you push as hard as you can... And you just keep getting better! I could barely do ten body weight squats before resting... Now I can do every one the instructor dishes out.

I couldn't plank for more than 20s without falling to the ground... Now I can do a full set of plank exercises (sometimes 5mins worth).

You find your strength grows, and before you know it, you are where you envied others when you first started.

Just try it. :)
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    That is awesome! I have never tried boxing but imagine I would enjoy it. Thank you for sharing!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    IN for hitting people without repercussions!

Edited: because spell check hates me
  • MireyGal76
    IN for hitting people without repercussions!

Edited: because spell check hates me

Ahhh but I love ya! So it balances out in the end, no?
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    And as an added bonus... you get killer abs to go with the right-hook!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Boxing is almost as awesome as Mirey

hi MireyGal76
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    I'm glad it works for you. Personally I find the idea of hitting somebody, even with gloves on as a "sport", repulsive, so I'd never never never want to do it...but I can see that you got results.
  • I'm glad it works for you. Personally I find the idea of hitting somebody, even with gloves on as a "sport", repulsive, so I'd never never never want to do it...but I can see that you got results.

Then why bother posting in this thread? Bravo on telling someone what they enjoy is repulsive.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    I have been wanting to try this for years. Thanks for putting it back on my mind!! You are truly fantastic :smile: :drinker:
  • rachjenn
    rachjenn Posts: 87
    Inspiring! :)
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Sounds fun and you look great :)
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    A new boxing gym just opened up in my town, I can't wait to try it!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Great post.

Glad you've found something so empowering!
  • MireyGal76
    I'm glad it works for you. Personally I find the idea of hitting somebody, even with gloves on as a "sport", repulsive, so I'd never never never want to do it...but I can see that you got results.

Then why bother posting in this thread? Bravo on telling someone what they enjoy is repulsive.

That's ok. :) to each their own.. I don't take it personally.

And for the record, in training, we just body spar, so we hit only from shoulder to hip (no face). And no one bleeds.
    That said... I could train to compete. :)
  • MireyGal76
    Boxing is almost as awesome as Mirey

hi MireyGal76

Hi Taunto! :heart: