Nice bum!

Options
Does anyone have any good exercises that focuses on the bum? (No squats, lunges, etc....something easy on the knees). My bum is my one area I still hate even when its completely covered up, so its what Ive been working on the most.

Total mom butt over here! :(:sad:

Replies

• diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Why no squats?

Barring that, deadlifts and power cleans.
  • PrimalSiren
    PrimalSiren Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm totally there with you. I do a lot of step ups on a chair and it seems to be helping out quite a bit.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    Why no squats?

Squats kill my knees and then im useless. I dont know if its a "too fat" thing or if its a family history thing. But my father has bad joints as well (but hes also over weight??)

I dont know. I just know it feels like my bones grind. They pop. I hurt for days.
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hamstring curls are easy on the knees and can target the glutes as well. Those are the ones where you lie on your stomach on a bench with weights that are attached to a thing you hook behind your knees. You can also try donkey kicks and the like. 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels has those exercises in level 3. You can probably find the video on youtube.
  • Papojijo
    Papojijo Posts: 20
    Options
    Knees shouldn't be feeling any discomfort on squats unless you're repping like 2x bodyweight.. gotta fix that form
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Knees shouldn't be feeling any discomfort on squats unless you're repping like 2x bodyweight.. gotta fix that form

Sure they can, if you have knees that are already injured! It's not strictly about form if you have no cartilage, or arthritis or any number of other problems.
  • Papojijo
    Options
    ^ she didn't mention any injuries of that sort. talking about in her case
  • C12254
    Options
    Having my knees bent period shouldnt cause discomfort...but it does. I cant sit "criss cross" for more then a few minutes. Getting up off the floor also hurts my knees.

again- it could be my weight that is doing it- i dont know. i just know it hurts and i always hate myself when i attempt squats (and i try hard on form)
  • C12254
    Options
    i dont have any injuries...
    maybe i need to find things to strengthen my knees/joints. are there such exercises?
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i dont have any injuries...
    maybe i need to find things to strengthen my knees/joints. are there such exercises?

When you do your squats. Try putting the pressure on your heels instead of your toes. When I learned this technique I was able to do a lot of more squats without the knee pain.
  • Papojijo
    Options
    try stiff legged deadlifts
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming/cycling? Barring that there are some good squat programs which start easy enough that they would enable you to assess if it is simple weakness or physical damage to your knees.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

This or hyper extensions, KB swings, hip thrusts, glute bridges.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I understand, too many squats and my knees are shot too. But I have joint/cartilage issues. Try pelvic thrusts - Hard to describe but this is a really good demo video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDAVQcreQ6g. You can do a lot of variations like crossing or lifting your leg to make it harder.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This or hyper extensions, KB swings, hip thrusts, glute bridges.

Plus lunges (leg back ones) or hill sprints.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    squats and lunges are the best.. but if you don't want to do them then.. bicycling? step ups/stairs.. idk anything I think of involves benting knees x3
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Having my knees bent period shouldnt cause discomfort...but it does. I cant sit "criss cross" for more then a few minutes. Getting up off the floor also hurts my knees.

again- it could be my weight that is doing it- i dont know. i just know it hurts and i always hate myself when i attempt squats (and i try hard on form)

I don't know how much weight you have to lose, but you could try just waiting a bit longer to try doing squats / lunges again after you've lost more and see if it's less uncomfortable for you. And, in the meantime, you could try some strengthening exercises for the knees if you can find some. :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Why no squats?

Squats kill my knees and then im useless. I dont know if its a "too fat" thing or if its a family history thing. But my father has bad joints as well (but hes also over weight??)

I dont know. I just know it feels like my bones grind. They pop. I hurt for days.
    That may be becauses you're weak. I'm having the same problem. I'm stilll trying to figure out what's wrong with me. I started with waking up in the morning and doing 5 body squats and increasing it as I felt better. I did this every few days making sure to give my body a break and then started adding weight. I gotta say that pressure/pop/grinding feeling has significantly reduced starting yesterday and my knees are not hurting like they usually do (and I have arthritis). In fact yesterday I felt pretty damn good.

With that being said, if you have a pullup bar or something to hang from trying to bring your legs up straight in front of you and lowering them again is great for the middle and I would imagine the butt.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    From plank position, lift one leg off the ground & pulse it bringing it as high up as possible. Also, I know you mentioned your knees hurting but it may be possible to do this next move since it doesn't really require pressure on the knee. Get down on your hands & knees. Lift both knees off the ground & bring one leg back, straight, and as high as you can and pulse. IMO, these work great for working out the glute muscles but also for me, at least, it works out all my major muscles. I feel the burn in my shoulders, arms, quads, and glutes. Good luck!

Also for the knee issues, I'd see a doctor and see what's going on or if its just a weight issue. As you lose weight and get stronger, you may be able to do so without the pain. If their is no medical issue and not an issue of weight, your form is probably not right. I had major issues with my knees & back when I first started doing squats. I'd also try using the tip another posted about putting your weight on your heel rather then your toes. Might help. Good luck!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Straight legged deadlifts
    weighted glute bridges
    Donkey kicks