anybody tried a spinning class?

Options
A friend of mine have spinning a try and she said that afterwards even her face muscles were quivering! But she's going back for more, so she liked it.
I'm curious. Any spinning enthusiasts out there?

Replies

• prestonam
    prestonam Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love it! Its so hard but u kinda want to go back so u can be better its got a real competitive aspect to it. Im going to one tonight havnt been in about 2 months gonna be sooo hard but fun!
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but my gym always has a spin class going on and I can see through the glass windows all the people working their butts off and I just want to go in there and pour water on their sweaty heads, lol.
  • Joyyfull4u
    Joyyfull4u Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago and I couldn't sit down for a week. or so. I tried to go back again, but since I couldn't sit down it didn't work for me. I have not been back since. It is a good workout and you do sweat a lot, but I need to sit down. I couldn't sit in the bath tub to soak because I was in pain. I wish you the best if you decide to take the class.
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Going to spin tomorrow morning. I don't do it very often at all (I hate stationary biking at the best of times) and it is very intense but because you're in a class you tend to push yourself pretty hard. That's the part that I like! Last time I went I still had a pink face an hour later!!!
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing a spinning class tomorrow at 9.. I havent done one before....
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've tried it twice. I liked it but wow it's hard work! Not sure I'll go back but knowing me I probably will.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    spinning is fantastic cardio - but gets old fast if the instructor is crappy and plays unmotivating craptastic music.
  • Janeinoz63
    Janeinoz63 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Been doing spin / top ride for years!! When I started participating in the class I hated it but the instructor and others said it usually takes about 3 classes for you to warm up to the class ... yep once I got past the 3 classes I was hooked. I do however recommend getting a padded bike seat and or bike pants believe me it does help!! Enjoy the class! :smile:
  • susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    I've just started spin classes (again - tried a few before but moved house and gym)

I think spin is a bit like marmite - people either love it or hate it. Me - I'm a bit terrified when I start and it's a real challenge - but nothing else makes me drip sweat and I love the fact that it's a short workout!

My tips would be:
    Take plenty of water
    Take a towel/paper wipes
    Be prepared for a sore bum (it does wear off)
    Most important - Do what you can - it's your workout and the instructions are aimed at those who do it regularly - you'll know when you're working hard!
    Don't expect to keep up with the little old guy at the front (there nearly always is one, especially in the winter) as he will be an ex Tour de France competitor or similar - of course if you can then go for it!

Enjoy!

Sue :happy:
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Well I did the spinning class and yes it was awful... because my bottom hurt, but after a couple days, I was fine and I did a boot camp class today and we used the spin bikes and it was awesome... and I am going to to the spin class again tomorrow... it just takes a week or two to get used to it, and its well worth it :)
  • blondley
    blondley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tried out a class with a friend at a distant gym a few years ago. We did it in the dark (to take away from the pain). I really liked it, and I felt really accomplished once we were done! If any of the gyms around me offered it, I would definitely go to more classes.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to try it because it looks PAINFUL!!! My friend tried it once and she almost threw up!!! I'm into working out and sports and such...but not throwing up being on a bike!!!
  • StephGettinFit
    StephGettinFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love it! The butt pain goes away within a class or two! Absolutely love it!
  • eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    A friend of mine dragged me to a spin class at Equinox 3 years ago and I have loved it ever since. I swear after the first week of doing it 3 times, I actually felt my arm and leg muscles go lean (if there's a better description of the feeling I can't find it).
    I literally saw definition and I was addicted since then.

Go you will have fun and hope the instructor is great!