my weight.. before/after work outs.

Options
EKarma
EKarma Posts: 594 Member
Happy Friday MFPers! I wanted to get your guys' honest opinions about something that I have been thinking about..

Today was my weigh-in.. I didn't lose anything. Which I am happy about, as I do feel "skinnier" than I did last week.. So I go about my usual morning workout and take a shower.. Go to weigh myself and I've dropped 2.4 pounds in literally an hour and a half.. lol. But that's what happens to me.. I lose weight when I work out..

So, should I stick with my orginal reading this morning.. I did really good yesterday on my sodium and cals and I was really feeling good about my weigh in..

What would you do? Before or after your work out.. I'm telling you, I always weigh less when I work out.. Would this be "cheating"? I work out first thing in the morning.. idk..

OPINIONS!?

love and lihgt. xo

Replies

• rhstyles
    rhstyles Posts: 36
    Options
    Bump.....I was wondering the same thing...lol
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me to register all losses....because a loss is a loss. and it works! I have lost the added pressure of the fluctuations.

However, I did notice that I plateau longer. Lose 1 week, flat for 3. Lose 1 week, flat for 3. Not sure if its the timing (been at this 5 months), if its the method of tracking loss or if I'm just goofy when it comes to losing weight.

I'm going to try to go back to weekly weigh ins and see what that does.

I know this doesnt help much, but I hope it provides some insight!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If you usually weigh in before working out, then continue to do so to minimize the variables in your weight loss results. The weight loss you saw after working out was most likely just water weight due to sweating.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself in the same situation each time to get the true picture of any changes, as weighing yourself last week before workingout and this week after would be like comparing apples to oranges. Keep in mind that the most true weight is fist thing in the morning after you use the washroom. Most likely the difference after your workout is water loss which you will probably put back on by mid-day after you eat and/or drink something.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    I would def keep my pre workout weigh in. Your weight drops after workouts because you sweat out water weight but the second you rehydrate yourself you put that water weight back on.....make sense? Your weigh in pre workout will give you actual "fat" loss and not include any water weight loss. if you use post workout weigh in's then you are really kind of cheating yourself. You should also try to weigh yourself at the same time each time and wearing the same amount (or lack thereof) of clothing. This will give you the most accurate reading and will also show you true results.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    i would go with the pre-work out weigh in as tempting as the post-work out weigh in is...i hear ya. i get the same thing especially cause i run....all that water weight...very tempting. Enjoy how you feel and the sense of accomplishment in that! The weight loss will follow next week! :)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh-in once a week, every Friday morning right after I wake up.
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it cheating because afterall, you really do weigh that much at that time... so congrats on that!!

However, if you want consistency and to compare apples to apples, you should probably try to weigh in at the same bat time, same bat channel. For example, I usually weigh in in the morning after waking and urinating with no clothes on and before ingesting anything.

Hope that helps! Good luck!!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I'm gonna stick to pre-workouts.. But that post-workout number is so tempting! Man oh man.. I knew MFP would have the answer!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should weigh yourself in the same situation to avoid false positive and negative weight loss.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against all the others on this one. I would take the post work out weight this time and from now on. Here is the reason... Sometimes we need that extra push just to be able to get out there and do the workouts. I look at it this way. I am going to work out and after i am going to weigh myself and see " how hard i worked ". I use it as a gauge to see how my workout actually was. I dont think that its cheating. I think that its another way to push yourself. I personally weigh myself daily and after each workout. So really i weigh at least 2 time per day. Crazy, i know but it works for me. I always take the post workut weight and record it. That is my lowest weight that i have been. Dont care if its " honest " or not. Its something that i worked for. Good. luck and just try to limit the variables.
  • doll2002
    doll2002 Posts: 427
    Options
    What does BUMP means?
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    It doesnt matter which weigh in you register, what is important is that you compare your weight progress at the same time of day in the same conditions, that way you will know how you are doing.

The reason you weigh less after working out is because you are dehydrated. It may be worth drinking more during your workout. I've heard that for each pound you lose after a work out you need to re-hydrate by a litre, so you'd need 2.5 litres. Sounds a lot but might be worth trying.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning under the same circumstances. I wake up, go to the bathroom, walk downstairs naked, and hop on the scale. That is my weight that day. No exceptions. I think this is the most accurate way to track progress.

I might go to the bathroom again in the next 30 minutes and will hop on the scale to see the difference out of curiousity, but I don't log or record that weight.