1200 calories and feeling hungry

Options
sushico
sushico Posts: 14 Member
I'm just new to this site and I just started cutting back on the calories that I would normally eat. When I entered my goal weight, the site recommended that I eat a minimum of 1200 calories everyday. But recently i've been feeling hungry with the amount of food that i consume, which is mostly near 1200 calories. My question is, is this part of the adjusting process or should i increase my calorie intake per day?

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yep, increase your intake.
    1,200 cal seems to be the standard amount MFP recommends - it's a very low goal, though.
  • Dekitara
    Dekitara Posts: 11
    Options
    MFP recommended me 1200kCal. I wasn't hungry hungry, but my weight loss stalled. Upped to 1500, never hungry, losing steadily. Really it's better to work out your own BMR, MFP chronically underestimates.
  • CillitBang
    CillitBang Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I'm fairly new too and it seems to me that the site advises lots of women to eat 1200 calories a day. That's what's been recommended to me. I find it very hard to stick to that and I work out 6 days a week, partly to feel good and tone up but also to give myself more calories! I think I was nearly 300 over yesterday because I didn't work out :-O

I'm sorry, I don't know whether you should increase it or not...I'm interested to see what others advise you to do!
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    MFP seems to give everyone 1200. In the long term it's not sustainable and will leave you craving foods and bingeing.

This is a good calculator to work out more accurate calories

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What do you reckon your daily calorie intake was before you started logging? Because if it is a massive difference, then yes you will feel hungry. The best way is to gradually reduce your calorie defecit to let your body get used to it.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    That's the amount recommended if you don't have much to lose, are quite light anyway, and set it to sedentary. Are you exercising? If so you should be eating back your exercise calories otherwise you are not takinging 1200 net.

Once I hit 21lbs lost it put me down to 1210, which was not enough, so I upped it to 1280 (which it was before it reduced it). But I'm really hungry today so I might have to go down the TDEE/BMR route if I can work out what to do!
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Are you working out too? If so eat back your business, no fuel = no fire, poo workout, worse results, unhappy face. Its basic logic maths :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When you enter your weight loss goals (pounds per week) into this site it suggests a recommended 1lb a week loss.

If you ignore that recommendation you are very likely to end up with the minimum 1200 cals/day.

Weight loss is not a race and making yourself feel deprived and hungry is about the best way possible to get frustrated and give up. Try setting your goal to 1lb/week loss.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    increase the amount and look for a smaller weekly loss over a longer period of time.
    exercising will make you hungry cause you need the fuel to function just in everyday life.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's my strong personal feeling that no one should ever feel hungry, but that's just me.
    If you're consuming adequate calories, them maybe look at what it is you're consuming (too much alcohol, not enough protein, etc. etc.)

1200 is really low & not enough for most people, especially over a length of time.

Also on MFP, a lot of people enter they want to lose 2lbs per week. That is a 1,000 calorie per day deficit. It's doable, but difficult, especially if you are not extremely overweight (like at least twice as much as you want to weigh) or exercise a lot (like 2+ hours per day.)
    It's much more realistic, attainable, & sustainable to lose around 1/2lb per week. (I like to goal for 1lb a week but know it will end up being closer to 1/2.)

I don't know how tall you are or how much you weigh, etc., so I can't tell you what a good calorie goal for you would be, but generally if you ARE hungry, you should probably up your cals a bit & look at what you are consuming. You could be fuller on less cals depending what you eat. I noticed a difference when I upped my protein ratio 10% shortly after I began MFP, but different things work for everyone.
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    Just as a note, if you do up you may find that you put a little back on, ride it out and then weight will steadily start to come off. Just so you don't jump straight back down to 1200 cals. Looks at other people's diaries for inspiration on healthy eating too and make better choices with your foods so you feel fuller longer.

I have completely switched my morning routine and no longer live on sugary cereals. Much better to have Weetabix / shredded wheat with fruit or higher protein based breakfasts e.g. egg white omelettes / pancakes. Much more filling, lower cals, less sugar and less fat!

37642465.png
  • mazdauk
    Options
    By the way, even wanting to lose only 1lb a week MFP will set to 1200 if you're not very overweight or a small sedentary person!
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Are you working out too? If so eat back your business, no fuel = no fire, poo workout, worse results, unhappy face. Its basic logic maths :)

What is this "poo workout" of which you speak?
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    unless you are under the instruction of a Dr. avoid the 1200 realm. Ask for 1 lbs a week instead. Healthier plan.
  • mazdauk
    Options
    Asking for 1lb per week may still give 1200. It did me.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yeah it does for me too. I'm short & up until a couple months ago I spent a vast majority of my time in bed. (Bad health issues - no work or school either.)
  • DonttrythatwithME
    Options
    its originated in California, have you not head of it?
  • DonttrythatwithME
    Options

What is this "poo workout" of which you speak?

its originated in California, have you not head of it?
  • durshley
    durshley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1200 for about 5 weeks now (it's what MFP recommended for 1lb/week loss) as I've not been exercising, and I can easily get full on it if I eat the right foods. Was tough at the start, though.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    mine was set at 1400 when i lost alot of weight it asked me to recalculate and it put it down to 1200 im never hungry thou but if i do have days where i feel hungry i eat just listen to your body x