Anyone here with diagnoses of autoimmune and fighting?

Options
2»

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    One more thing on the thyroid...read somewhere that the thyroid is like the air conditioning/heating system of a house...if it's not working right, it affects the whole house...or in this case the body. A relative of mine was having a lot of trouble, & many thought the relative was just being a hypochondriac. Their own doctor, while grudgingly ordering a thyroid test, told the patient they just needed to go home & relax. A couple of days later they were scheduling emergency surgery, because the patient had HYPERthyroidism so bad, they had to remove it. Now they're on a measured dose of synthroid, for the surgery induced hypothyroidism, but levels are good & symptoms went away. So find a doctor who will take you seriously & test to make sure everything is ok & at a good level.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes Sharon. I had a similar experience. I once had a doctor who told my husband I was just stressed out but they would check the thyroid just to make me feel better about it. Lo and behold, they discovered my TSH was 10!!! Needless to say, I never went back to him. :))
  • XLombardX
    XLombardX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dysautonomia here with Orthostatic Hypotension, POTS and CFS (type symptoms) as the presentation. You have you go slowly, make lifestyle changes not just quick fixes.

I have all of the above, caused by some kind of mitochondrial cytopathy (i.e. my lab results show that my mitos aren't working very well, but I have no idea why). It also gives me hypothyroidism. It's really hard to have these autoimmune-type diseases and be trying to lose weight. "Jut exercise more!" is not good advice when over-exertion can put you back in bed for a few days. I push my energy envelope gently, and with the help of €300 per month supplements, prescribed by my doctor, I'm getting much better.

41692006.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • dieter999
    Options
    Good morning. This will be my first time posting and it seems I have found many kindred spirits here. I have fought a lifetime with autoimmune disease, but I'm still here at age 59. I had psoriasis and migraines as a child. Cushing's Syndrome and essential hypertension were diagnosed at UCLA when I was 18. When I could afford medical treatment after the 1980's, I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue , fibromyalgia, migraine, hypothyroidism, tremor, arthritis, gout (caused by my diuretics). Doctors lost sight of the Cushing's somehow, so I just placed that back into my medical record with my new doctor.

I have gained 5 pounds yearly since age 30 (when my CFS diagnosis came in) even though I ate right and exercised like a fiend. According to this site's plan, I should be allowed 1800 calories daily. If I at that, I would weigh 500+. I maintain and sometimes lose on 1200-1300, but I can't go less than that without autoimmune symptoms. I do not eat red meat, make green shakes, and am gluten free (helps with my edema), and my blood sugar is always low in spite of being fat--just not a sugarholic. In my late 20's, I ran 10-15 miles daily, hoping to run in my first marathon. Once the CFS kicked in, I tried the gym 3 hours, 3-4 times weekly. At age 59, all I can manage is walking my dog and occasionally ride a bike. And the pounds still creep up.

In closing...Please be sure your medications are not crippling you or making you more ill than you originally were. You have a right to research your meds, ask questions of your health care practitioners, refuse drugs, use nutritional supplements and alternative medicine. About 2 years ago I stopped taking statins, in spite of hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol) and a clogged carotid artery. They were literally crippling me (and so many others)...could not walk on some days without a cane. I wondered when I would need the wheelchair. I proved it was the statins and not the fibro by stopping and starting three times. My mobility is everything in the control of my hypertension...If I cannot walk, my blood pressure goes sky high, so I cannot lose my legs. I follow Dr. Steven Sinatra's advice (head of the University of Connecticut's cardiac department) on this. He also just appeared on Dr. Oz last week. Did you know the government wants to put children on it? It can kill, arrest brain development, and cripple them, too.

Wishing you all better health.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I got GBS in 2011 and spent 6 months in hospital. At least the disease is acute rather than chronic, so I have learned to walk again with canes. The nerve damage compromises my balance so I am limited with exercise choices.