Gained 2lbs in 2 days?

Options
I understand I may be about to get a slap around the old head for starting a topic that's probably appeared a hundred times, but I think everyones different so thought it'd be best to start one for my own situation.

I began my weight loss with a smoothie/liquid detox for a couple of days before moving on to a very low calorie diet. A couple of weeks ago I was only eating around the 500 calorie mark, my starting weight was 192 lbs and I'm only 5'5 so this low calorie stage was supposed to boost my weight loss in the first few weeks since I was very inactive because of a roller derby injury. I've recently increased a little and I'm regularly eating under the 1000 calorie mark.

I've lost 11 lbs so far, but in the past two days I've gained 2lbs, I would appreciate if no one mention the starvation mode issue, as I sincerely doubt that is an issue in this case since I've not increased my calories a large amount etc.

I'm looking for help/advice, my diary is open to the public so feel free to check it out...

Replies

• siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Regardless of calories or eating or anything else your weight can fluctuate by 5lbs a day. It could be down to a number of things, water retention to name just one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat more and dont weigh yourself every 2 days.....
  • whooter
    whooter Posts: 47
    Options

^^^^
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I understand I may be about to get a slap around the old head for starting a topic that's probably appeared a hundred times, c.

On the contrary!! I've never actually seen a thread like this before, this is all new to me!

wink, wink. Nudge nudge ;-)

J/k

Good luck reaching your goals, you'll do fine!
  • gublercullen
    Options

I'm slowly trying to increase my calories up to the recommended 1200, I just didn't want to do it too quickly in case my body had some kind of hissy fit haha. As far as the weighing myself every two days...I actually weigh myself every day, I'm absolutely terrible for it, all the women in my family are the same, it's like an addiction!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • gublercullen
    Options
    I understand I may be about to get a slap around the old head for starting a topic that's probably appeared a hundred times, c.

On the contrary!! I've never actually seen a thread like this before, this is all new to me!

wink, wink. Nudge nudge ;-)

J/k

Good luck reaching your goals, you'll do fine!

Hahaha very sly! Thanks for the support :P
  • gublercullen
    Options
    Nope.

Can I invite you to expand on that maybe just a little?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly trying to increase my calories up to the recommended 1200, I just didn't want to do it too quickly in case my body had some kind of hissy fit haha. As far as the weighing myself every two days...I actually weigh myself every day, I'm absolutely terrible for it, all the women in my family are the same, it's like an addiction!

i'm hoping you mean working your way up to NET 1200 cals, not just 1200?
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Can I invite you to expand on that maybe just a little?
    500 calories and then 1000 calories...that is just not enough and is unsustainable. it is also impossible to gain 2lbs in 2 days. little common sense here... up your calories NOW to at least NET 1200. That means, if you exercise, eat your calories back so you hit 1200 or at least around it.
  • geddyp
    geddyp Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    At 5'5, 140 lbs, my body needs 1440 calories so that my organs can function... I don't think 500 calories is enough for you, you will lose fast but then gain most of it back. Try the TDEE-15% calculation, worked for me :)

I too weight myself everyday but you have to expect your weight to go up and down daily.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it. weigh your self once a week onlly
    you also need more calories
    u a re 192
    u need 1920 calories or less.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just took a look at your diary... you are eating WAY too little. Seriously, 800kcal a day? Your body is going into starvation mode and retaining fat.

What kind of "hissy fit" will your body have? You are too paranoid. You need 1200 kcal a day minimum regardless of your goal. Remember it is 1200 NET. Hit 1200 min and you will start to lose weight.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    smoothie/liquid detox arent a good idea
  • zoe871
    zoe871 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It takes over 5000 calories to gain a pound, so unless you ate 10,000 in 2 days. Nope. It's just normal weight fluctuation.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    As a woman, your weight will fluctuate daily, best advice is to only weigh yourself once per week on the same scale and at the same time.

And I won't comment on the low calories because it won't be nice.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    500 calories is too l;ittle u will be in starvation mode
  • Sevio
    Sevio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Can be a number of things~ water retention, good old Aunty Flo coming to town....but I agree with everyone else you are definitely not eating enough. You may think it's working right now but in the long run; you are messing with your metabolism and that's just not healthy. Eating that low of calories is most likely going to make you feel tired, sluggish, headaches, etc.

Go and eat something! You didn't gain weight overnight; you certainly won't be taking it off overnight. It's a permanent journey that you have to stick with and BE PATIENT!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Can be a number of things~ water retention, good old Aunty Flo coming to town....but I agree with everyone else you are definitely not eating enough. You may think it's working right now but in the long run; you are messing with your metabolism and that's just not healthy.
    Go and eat something!

What this person said.

Additionally, you seem to think 1200 is a max and going underneath it is good. That is not the case. It is your goal - i.e. you should reach it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more!!!