How many Calories are acceptable on Cheat Days?

Options

Replies

• Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Or you could screw the cheat day and eat what you want in moderation... and eat more then 1200 calories.

this! i HATE the phrase 'cheat day'...

Totally agree with both of these! I've made a lifestyle where I can eat what I want and it isn't cheating. Hmmm...maybe that is why it is finally working!
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    Despite all the negative criticism, I find a "cheat" day very beneficial. One day a week where you can go out to eat and not read every little detail on a menu, have a beer without feeling guily, or eat the entire peice of cake. Since starting on MFP, I found what works for me through trial and error. My cheat day and rest day used to both be Saturday, but I learned that I really need to workout on cheat day so I can eat back a few more calories. I also found that "cheating" is different than "bingeing" and only eat to my maintenance calories on Saturdays --- so 1800 + the exercise calories. I also found it benefial to look at the entire week (MFP lets you see how many net calories you are under your weekly goal) and make sure I don't go over that total weekly calorie goal. I've been consistent with ~1.5 lbs lost per week once I discovered this. Good luck!
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I gave up my cheat days. I tracked a couple and they were 4000 - 5000. Total waste of time restricting myself any other days of the week!!
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Or you could screw the cheat day and eat what you want in moderation... and eat more then 1200 calories.

I don't have cheat days, but if I did, I would eat what I wanted with in reason.. no real calorie amount.

This.
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My "cheat" day is usually a re-arranging of calories. I will have toast & fruit spread for breakfast, then PIZZA for lunch and a more sensible dinner.

I try not to go more than a couple hundred over my 1200 net. I think it would be easier to control if the never-ending Winter would end <lol>
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Not a cheat day...reward day...when I reward myself I go all out. I do not track anything but my blood sugar and insuln amounts....

Why reward yourself with food?
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    well are you sure, 1200 calories a day is enough. With this amount of calorie intake I'll rather call cheat day as nutrition day.

^^Totally agree!
  • GAB219
    GAB219 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't have set "cheat" day but I do find myself eating more on the weekends and I do try to make it up by exercising more on those days too. When I know I may be eating over my daily calories, I try to stay within my weight maintenance calories. And if I go over that, I know I just have to put in extra half hour or so of exercise. I do eat what I want except I do keep it in moderation. I do not deprive myself because it just makes me want it more (learn that from past dieting).

Tonight, I'm going to a birthday party and I know I'll be eating over my calorie allowance. I'm watching what I'm eating throughout the day so I have extra for tonight and I'll be working my butt off tomorrow :)
  • RachelHoffman0709
    RachelHoffman0709 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I read a post the other day that said "Fitness is like a marriage, you can't cheat on it and expect it to work."
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My wife doesn't let me do cheat days. She says it would end everything.

YMMV.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    No "cheat" day. I eat what I want if it fits into my calorie goals. If it doesnt... I work out a little harder.
    Weekends are tough....and sometimes I go over due to eating out and such...but i always track it. I also try to keep under maintenance if I do go over.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Don't have cheat days.... I eat what I want (without going crazy) and just work it into my calories for the day. If I have to sacrifice somewhere else to have a brownie I do.

That being said, I NEVER eat out because it is too hard to control your calorie intake. If I DID have a "cheat day" though... I would try to keep it reasonable on the calorie front.... not going more than say 100 over your goal for the day... maybe work out harder to make up the difference.
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have to say I used to call them cheat days and i generally would go over about 2k in calories

Now more recently what I have found to be even better is rather then having cheat days as others call them cheat meals -- So for example ok so tonight i know i am gonna have tacos so since i know my taco meal runs me about 1445 calories - So I figure out what I am gonna eat the rest of the day generally try to make the earlier snacks/meals low calorie as possible maybe carrots for a few of the snacks so i am getting filled plus getting low calories and then I figure up the total calories I will use so say I knew I was going to 390 calories for my other snacks/meals during the day so i know i will end up at 1835 calories for the day - So instead of saying ok well i am going to cheat since I only have 1370 for the day ... So that day I did 25 minutes on the eliptical and 10 minutes of strength training so I would earn an extra 526 calories which resulted in me still having 61 calories left over for the day - So all you need to do is put in a little more exercise for the day and you dont have to worry about cheat days because you will have enough exercise calories to cover it
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My allowance is 1200 and i stick to it,

Even when you exercise?

Nah, i exercise every day, so my total is usually 1500/1600
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I gave up my cheat days. I tracked a couple and they were 4000 - 5000. Total waste of time restricting myself any other days of the week!!

Jesus Christ hahaha, the most ive ever got to is about 2500!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Jesus Christ hahaha, the most ive ever got to is about 2500!

2500 is a normal day!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" days, but I do eat less some days and work out more others to either make up for or plan for larger meals. In the end, I try to stay within calories for the week.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I make healthy choices most of the time and if I feel like having something more, I eat it in moderation or compensate during that week. It all evens out in the end.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" days, but I do eat less some days and work out more others to either make up for or plan for larger meals. In the end, I try to stay within calories for the week.

lol. I should have just read this and quoted it.