Late Afternoon Slip-Ups

Options
One week in and down 2 pounds, so I'm happy about that. I lost the weight the first few days and have stayed even the last 3 days because, I think, I always mess up late in the afternoon. Healthy breakfast, salad for lunch, feeling good until I get home and decide I'll have just a few chips to tide me over until dinner, a few chips turns into several servings and of course a slice of cheese would be good with that, and the road goes on forever and the party never ends. The goal for this week, then, is healthy snacks and throwing out potato chips.

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but maybe a salad for lunch isn't enough to tide you over until dinner? But even with a more satisfying lunch, lots of people get a little hungry in the afternoon, so a snack is a good thing. I agree that if you can't limit yourself with potato chips, get them out of the house. Or buy one single-serving bag on your way home from work, and when it's gone, it's gone. Something with protein would fill you up for longer, though. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese with fruit, something like that.

Also, how long are you home before dinner? If you only have an hour or two, it's easier to be patient or just have a small snack while waiting. But if it's hours and hours, you might really need something more substantial in between and need to portion out your daily calories accordingly.
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    i have the same problem, no matter what I eat for lunch. I think its just boredom
  • OhioViking79
    OhioViking79 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You know i was thinking about this yesterday too because when i came home, i had to wait an hour for dinner, and i was famished! So i ended up eating a cookie ... then one more cookie. I find it helps to meal plan and even make things up front, and also to have a snack right before i leave work so that i am fullish when i get home to cook. Greek yogurt, nuts or a serving of veggies should do it :smile:
    But yes, i can totaly relate!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Plan for a healthy snack, also try brushing your teeth or chewing a sugar-free gum.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Joe - I'm kind of new here too and still learning the ropes to a healthy lifestyle - so welcome aboard. I'me learning so much by reading the message boards here! The people are great and you'll get lots of support.

With regard to the chips - you know what to do. If you really enjoy them - I'd package them into serving size portions ahead of time. But if they're a problem for you - get rid of them!

I find myself eating a lot from around 5:00 on. I save calories for snacks in the evening - and I try to keep busy. Snacks are sugar-free jello or pudding with lite cool whip, two fruits, a piece of raisin bread toast - that usually does the trick. Used to have pop-corn, but it's to much sodium for me. I also keep myself occupied by reading the message boards and also planning my menu for the next day. And if I start to get bored I do puzzles of all types to keep my mind off food.

I wish you continued success!

Mary
  • Brads2ndLife
    Options
    One week in and down 2 pounds, so I'm happy about that. I lost the weight the first few days and have stayed even the last 3 days because, I think, I always mess up late in the afternoon. Healthy breakfast, salad for lunch, feeling good until I get home and decide I'll have just a few chips to tide me over until dinner, a few chips turns into several servings and of course a slice of cheese would be good with that, and the road goes on forever and the party never ends. The goal for this week, then, is healthy snacks and throwing out potato chips.

Potato chips aren't as bad as most of us think. Just moderate calorie, fat and salt levels compared to a lot of other processed food. Especially if you eat the thin ones. You might be able to fit a 42g bag of chips into your diet if you love them and plan for it. Without any negative effect at all.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible for eating whilst preparing my evening meal! The only thing which works for me is to (very selfishly) not have the stuff in the house!
  • joeneely71
    joeneely71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's me: eating while preparing dinner. Today was better, though; I'm done with dinner and still have 425 calories in case I want some dry popcorn or something similar while watching recorded episodes of 'Vikings' and/or 'Mad Men' on this unseasonably cold and windy evening. As for chips, I know they're not too bad if consumed in moderation . . . it's that moderation I sometimes have trouble with. Thanks to all, nice chatting with you.
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm an afternoon "slumper". I leave work around 3:30 and then spend the next 4 hours driving my daughter to double soccer practice. There are have been many times BK screamed my name while waiting for practice to end. So I needed a bag of tricks I could stash at work which for the most part need to be non-perishable. Beef jerky- if you don't need to worry about sodium. Cheese stick and or nuts. I also like PowerCrunch bars- lower in carbs than most bars and nice amount of protein.