Help! Green tea!

Options
Hello everyone!

So here's the issue i have. I heard green tea has amazing benefits for body so I am trying different kinds of green tea but it just tastes SO BITTER even with sugar. This morning i bought gunpowder kind. Any tip on how to "make green tea" so it doesn't taste so bitter? I really love green tea the way Marocain (Arab) people do.

Any tip would be REALLY appreciate it.

Thankyou in advance :D

Replies

• Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Firstly i wouldnt put sugar in the green tea as thats kinda counterproductive

Secondly..... You can get different flavours of green tea such as green tea with mint or green tea with lemon. Give them a shot!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    ew don't put sugar in green tea!!!
    Buy a flavoured one, mint is nice and so is lemon... infact buy any flavour just stop putting sugar in it lol
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Don't squeeze the tea bag,
  • Silber94
    Silber94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Boiling Water will make it taste more bitter, use Water that has about 70°-80°
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I cant drink green tea at all so i take it in power form in a tablet
    Ok its not as pure but.....hey! x x
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    green tea with blueberrys is my current favourite :) nothing going to help you out if you dont actually like the taste of it
  • KyraBellwain
    KyraBellwain Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know it's counter productive... I will try not squeezing the bag and adding mint or lemon. So far I only use sugar for tea/ coffee that 's 1 tsp a day or two. So i wanted to switch black tea/coffee to green tea. Thus i wouldn't mind 1 tsp a day of sugar if it made it taste good.

However, i will try the alternatives u all gave me before :D Ty!
  • KyraBellwain
    KyraBellwain Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Boiling Water will make it taste more bitter, use Water that has about 70°-80°

And that could be the issue. I tend to put tea in just after it stopped boiling OPS!
  • Turtle1794
    Options
    You could try to put honey in it, but green tea just has that taste. I don't put anything in mine, except ice to cool it down, and I just drink it, even though it's not the tastiest thing. Just one cup a day can help you! So put a dab of honey in it, think of the benefits, and drink up! :]
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea because I love it! You can get flavoured green teas. I believe Lipton is the brand that has a line of flavoured green teas (superfruit varieties). They are amazing!

I find if you steep it for too long it becomes bitter. I personally prefer loose leaf tea as I find it has a much better taste than the bags you can buy.

It is great if you add in a slice of lemon before you pour the water in.

Sometimes I also add in a flavoured decaf tea to give it a bit more flavour. There is a blueberry and a raspberry one from Stash that are amazing paired with green tea.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I honestly just got used to the taste. Now I drink it every day.
  • jotun87
    jotun87 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea every day...for a while I couldn't handle the bitter taste, but I got used to the flavor quickly. Some are worse than others...I drink Good Earth green tea with lemongrass. It's definitely the best I've tasted so far, and I've been drinking it for about 2 years.
  • weightwatcher_girl
    weightwatcher_girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've just started drinking green tea every day and I have a few different varieties: green tea with cranberry, green tea with orange and lotus flower, green tea with lemon, green tea with mint... they're all delicious, and as I don't really like green tea on its own it really helps. Try a flavoured variety :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Jasmine Green Tea can help with the bitterness, also. In many cases, letting it over-steep can be the cause of the bitterness.
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    it is bitter because you let it steep to long. :) also use honey. i drink Tons of green tea daily.
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are letting it seep too long. Also, like others have mentioned, there are flavored kinds. Just go to any grocery store and check them out.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Green tea shouldn't be bitter. It should be kind of sweet.
    It gets bitter when you steep it in water that is too hot, because then the leaves get burned.
    It's supposed to be made with water that is 70-80 degrees Celsius. So either let the boiled water cool off first or add about 1/4 of your cup cold water.
    Steep it for about 5 minutes.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    it is bitter because you let it steep to long. :) also use honey. i drink Tons of green tea daily.

Yes, I agree. I don't drink green tea because it was too bitter, but a friend of mine, who drinks a lot of tea said that 2 -3 minutes is all you need to steep green tea for.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love green tea. IMHO Gunpowder is too harsh a taste without some sort of mint leaf in there as well. I would add some dried spearmint and lemon grass to cut the bitterness. Sugar is going to defeat the purpose of drinking the tea. Also, be wary lf letting it steep for too long. That will give it an awful taste. If these things don't help then I would suggest going to a tea shop and having a more knowledgeable person help you pick out a green tea that might satisfy your pallet.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I'm not a green tea fan, same reason, no matter who or where I get it from. But, I found that STASH's Moroccan Mint Green Tea is delicious. It has Green tea, spearmint, lemongrass, and peppermint in it. If I recall, I got it from Walmart on a rare venture.
    For the existing tea that you have, try adding in some mint leaves (peppermint, spearmint, whatever you like), you can usually find them fresh in the produce section, if you don't have/want/can't find a full plant.