Anyone who HASN'T hit a plateau?

Options
I'm terrified of hitting a plateau.. I've been doing this for almost 3 months now... and have lost a total of 32 lbs.
I hear A LOT about plateaus.. just wondering if theres anyone who has done this for a good while and hasn't had one or anyone who completed their goal and never had one, or at least a major one...

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've never hit one in since July/August last year when I started. :)
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i hate both of you.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I haven't either, not a real one anyway.

I've gone as long as 3 weeks without a change on the scale but that always seemed to be from starting a new workout and was, I believe, water retention from extreme muscle soreness.

I've been at this sine 7/28/12.
  • HippieMomma86
    HippieMomma86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This time last year I lost 50lbs without one. Now I'm back because I put 26 of those 50lbs back on. I think I avoided them because I would go one day (usually Saturday) every week and not count calories. A lot of people say cheat days aren't right and yadda yadda, but I wasn't completing pigging out. I would still eat healthy, just more calories than my daily allowance. Just be aware that the more you lose or if you up your exercise, you'll need to eat more. I started my journey eating 1350 a day, before exercise, then towards the end I was eating 1500ish. Good luck!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My dietician says that if a plateau hits, it shouldn't last more than two weeks. If you have a week that you haven't lost weight or inches, that's fine. If after the second week you haven't gone anywhere, it might be time to eat a little more and exercise a little more. Not eating enough puts the body into starvation mode.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    i hate both of you.

:sad:
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I haven't (yet). But I have had a couple of periods where I have consciously decided to take a break from losing and concentrate on maintaining (eg Christmas or when I went on holiday) and then have gone back to trying to lose afterwards. Maybe this has pre-empted the plateaus?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    In about 11 months at a deficit (overall) I didn't hit a plateau. I had two planned "diet breaks" where I ate at maintenance for 2 weeks during that time. Other than those, my loss was pretty consistent, although not linear.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i hate both of you.

With love...but definitely ^this^
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I been at it for 14 weeks and havent hit a plateau; I find as long as you switch it up some you shouldn't hit a plateau! :)
  • steve6331
    Options
    Have been losing weight steadily since January.... As yet no plateau 78Lbs lost
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go 2 weeks without losing but I remember weeks where I ate really badly and was surprised I hadn't gained weight. Live by the sword die by the sword I guess lol
  • desampson
    Options
    I hit plateaus at 30,40, 45 and 50 lb goals. usually the plateau lasted 2 to 3 weeks... then I would loose like 4 to 5 lbs over night. very frustrating experience, but i just consider it a test of faith.
  • Nikki_WantsIt
    Nikki_WantsIt Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I hit plateaus at 30,40, 45 and 50 lb goals. usually the plateau lasted 2 to 3 weeks... then I would loose like 4 to 5 lbs over night. very frustrating experience, but i just consider it a test of faith.
    Exactly what it is..
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I did hit a plateau after about two months and got really unhappy about it. But then I reasoned that the plareau level was still better than where I started. I talked to my mfp friends, stayed on track, added some calories, and got back to losing slowly. I'm older and it's slower. Aargh.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I hit one for 6 weeks, but I was still losing inches and definitely gained noticeable muscle. When I upped calories by 400/day I started dropping weight again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!