Macaroni substitutes?

Options
I am trying to see if I can eliminate most manufactured carbohydrates from my diet, just as a bit of an experiment.

This includes bread, rice and pasta.

I have found a lot of different substitutes for bread, rice and some pastas, but macaroni pasta has be stumped. And really, with summer coming up, what other kind of pasta can you use in macaroni salad, or macaroni and cheese?

Any suggestions for a vegetable or something similar to macaroni?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why not try some other type of grain salad instead of macaroni salad. Quinoa and bulgar both make nice salads. I've seen recipes for using cauliflower in place of macaroni in mac-n-cheese dishes.
  • rfrqueen
    rfrqueen Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm thinking of cauliflower as a substitute for rice, but maybe if cooked and cut to the right size it could feel like macaroni-sized pasta!
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't totally replace pasta, but I do reduce it quite a bit. I cut pasta by at least half by replacing it with zucchini and cauliflower. As the other poster said, cauliflower is a great sub in mac an cheese. I would cook some large chopped zucchini and cauliflower for at least half the pasta in pasta salad and casseroles. For something like pasta with red sauce, I make a really chunky meaty, veggie filled sauce and either serve it with shredded, lightly cooked zucchini or a very small amount of pasta. I've found I actually crave the sauce more than the pasta (and I'm half Italian!)

Not sure if that helps since you are trying to eliminate refined carbs, but if you are merely trying to reduce them, these might be options for you.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    QUINOA!!! I found this awesome sounding quinoa spinach "mac" n cheese I'm going to try.

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2013/01/quinoa-spinach-mac-and-cheese/

It's also an awesome substitute for rice. Just make sure you read the prep directions and rinse/soak it if needed or it will taste bitter. Trader Joes has it pretty cheap at $3.50 a bag, most grocery stores are very limited and more expensive in quinoa selection. I have also found a huge bag at BJ's Wholesale already rinsed.