Cutting out alcohol

Options
I've noticed recently that I have been doing well in the week and then ruining it all by going out on the weekends and just completely not thinking. I'm a student in London so drinking is a pretty regular thing but I think it is hindering my results so I'm considering going teetotal.
I was just wondering if anyone else has abstained from alcohol? If so have you felt the benefits?/ Have you found anything you really enjoy to replace it whilst out?

Replies

• JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My problem wasn't the alcohol per say, but the two bad meals I'd eat to go with it (late night / 3am burger or fries, and then some crappy breakfast in the morning to help settle my tummy).

Maybe pick two nights a month to drink on, or limit yourself to a certain number of drinks per night. Also it may be worth remembering (maybe) that beer has a ton of cals, followed by wine, followed by spirits with regular soft drinks or juice and spirits with sparkling water or diet sodas will have the least cals.

Getting rid of alcohol was good for a bit, but I missed being able to go a social event and just do and drink whatever.
  • HippieMomma86
    HippieMomma86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose without cutting it out completely, but cutting back. I would only limit myself to 1 night a week of drinking, and I would have something healthy before to help curb the "drunk munchies" that happen after drinking a lot. As long as I ate right before drinking and the day after, and got right back to working out, it didn't seem to hinder my loss at all. Everything in moderation.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I cut it out about 10 days ago after my fiancée and I tended to drink at least a few wines every night, and have big nights on the weekends. It hasn't been long enough to recommend alternatives, cos I haven't sourced any yet, but benefit wise, I'm more alert, awake, less anxious (turns out wine gives me anxiety, who knew?) and I dropped 8lbs in 10 days, just like that. I know a lot of it is water weight, because drinking makes me retain fluid, but even losing that bloat is a good thing.

Heading out with friends tomorrow night so it will be interesting to see how I go. I can have one or two, but I'm thinking it will be easier to have none and not even get started.
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I cut out alcohol 21/2 years ago and really started working on fitness about 2 years ago. I have lost 65 lbs since then. The thing I notice is how great I feel, no hangovers, no excuses for not working out. No binge eating because I am not in the right state to stop myself.
    It has been something I do not regret. I still party and have fun, just sober and I can be out until 1 or 2 am and still get up and work out for an hour while my friends are sleeping off the effects of the party. Its the best of both worlds.

All I can say is try it, it can't hurt.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Do you stick to your calorie? If not then you wont progress.

You can drink and stay within, you just have to be smart.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Do you stick to your calorie? If not then you wont progress.

You can drink and stay within, you just have to be smart.

I don't know about this. I find that my belly is flabbier despite workouts and am still soft so I am cutting it out. Maybe it's a mental thing but I need to give it a try.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    alcohol can be good for you. like everything else, in moderation.

now, if you're having a ton of drinks on the weekends and therefore causing you to binge eat, then alcohol isn't the problem. it's how you consume alcohol that is thre problem.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I've noticed recently that I have been doing well in the week and then ruining it all by going out on the weekends and just completely not thinking. I'm a student in London so drinking is a pretty regular thing but I think it is hindering my results so I'm considering going teetotal.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has abstained from alcohol? If so have you felt the benefits?/ Have you found anything you really enjoy to replace it whilst out?

If its just calories you are worried about, check out this website: www.getdrunknotfat.com/
    They rank beers, wines and alcoholic beverages by their ratio of calories from alcohol.
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing this the last 40 days and I must say I have slipped maybe 3-4 x but compared to weekly and weekend drinking thats awesome...the next 60 days I am going to try to completely go without it... I do see a major difference in my hard work.... Try making small goals like for 2 weeks and keep increasing to see if you see a difference...
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've been able to go without drinking for short periods when I was buoyed by my weight loss success. Alcohol has so many calories that it's an obvious thing to cut out. But I like to drink. If I were going out, I'd have a beer (something that would make me full and would take a while to drink), followed by a couple of glasses of water, than another beer....

You're there to socialize. A couple of beers should be plenty to relax you. You don't need to get drunk or even tipsy.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my first round i was able to cut out drinking with the exception for only special occasions or like id have ONE drink ONCE a week. i had to pretty much cut out wine and beer because of calories and the fact that once you open a bottle of wine you only have so long to drink it lol. alcohol changes the way your body metabolizes things and can really slow your loss if youre drinking it regularly. even wine. its hard but worth it to limit it if youre on a time crunch.
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, I didn't drink for about 2 and half months solid. I didn't notice physical differences as much as the mental clarity and the obvious benefits to not experiencing a hangover in the morning.

After the 2.5 months of no alcohol, I started drinking again on occasion but the occasions have become fewer and farther between. Also, I've found that scheduling morning workouts keeps me from wanting to drink to the point of drunkenness.

It's all about priorities. I haven't quit drinking completely, but these days my workouts usually win over alcohol.
  • pongwiffy
    Options
    I've tried to cut out alcohol but I have a hard time not drinking in social settings. I usually have 3-5 beers when I do drink, and that's around 700 calories right there :( I try to keep reminding myself how many calories are in it but most of the time I'm too drunk to care lol.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I used to drink all the time,now I don't drink ever and it hasn't made any difference what so ever. My personal experience btw.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I asked a guy at work how he lost so much weight...he said he quit drinking beer.
    I thought I could never do it...but I got desperate, and I quit drinking beer.
    I lost 10 lbs in two weeks.
    I have probably had maybe 7 or 8 beers in two years.

I don't miss it at all.

Track your calories when you drink...if you are serious about getting in shape, you will cut it out.

If you have to look cool when you are hanging out at the pub, have a mineral water with a lime in it, and tell your friends it's a gin and tonic or something.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    No way-I just make sure I count every last drop in my given daily calories.
  • Sugalicious79
    Options
    I totally sympathize with you! I'm a social/binge drinker. I usually drink vodka so I never worried too much about the calories. Recently I had a couple of embarrassing drinking episodes so I decided no more hard alcohol. Well now I'm on this MFP adventure and beer has too many calories! I was at a bbq tonight and everyone was drinking beer so I joined in. I ended up having 4, that is like 500 calories! To make matters worst after I had my buzz on I ate some chocolate covered strawberries. Now I'm sitting here in a shame spiral. In the big picture I only went over my daily calories by 130 because I worked out a lot earlier in the day but still is every event where alcohol going to be a struggle?

I did add spicy V8 to my beers so at least I got some nutrients out of the deal.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm from Australia, the drinking capital of the world... so I feel you!

I find I just don't drink normally, or maybe have one or two very nice quality drinks. I love my wine, so I'll go out with my bf and have some really good wine (here in Japan) or in Sydney will go and have oysters and yummy stuff with a couple of glasses of wine.

You get over being a trash bag and realise how damaging it is to your body and that it isn't actually fun at all...

This is coming from a 21 year old too haha! Bingeing is yuck, can't believe I used to! I would drink once or maybe twice a month now.
  • mnavoy
    mnavoy Posts: 7
    Options
    I started limiting my drinking to once a week, and gradually I stopped drinking altogether (within the past few months). I have been really busy so that helps a lot (not going out a lot) and still drink every once in a while but I drink a lot less now. I don't even miss it! But I haven't really noticed a difference in my weight as a result of it.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I cut alcohol out when I decided to change my diet. Too many bad sugars and empty calories. Having said that, if I really want a drink I have one - a couple of glasses of nice red, champagne or a dirty martini but regular drinking has gone from my diet. I don't miss the hangovers either ;-)