Weight loss- How much did you lose and how fast?

Options
I am trying to lose 40 lbs in 3 months. I know it is not recommended- because of health concerns etc and the fact I will gain it back after. But I realize that. It's still my goal.
How much have you lost and how fast did you lose it?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I lost 27 lb in 5 months.

You don't have to gain the weight back when you lose it fast. You are just more likely to. The reason is that when you lose fast you need to eat a lower calorie amount than is sustainable long term so you don't teach yourself how eat normal amounts. You go from overeating to undereating. But if you are careful after the fast loss and keep in mind that although you can eat more than when you were losing, you can't go back to eating while you were gaining without again gaining. You can keep most of it off.

But most people don't do that.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight on December 27. I have lost 46 lbs so far (in about 4 months). I'm not eating unhealthily at all. Grant it, I started at 240 lbs (currently 194 lbs). I know that the more you weight the more you lose at the beginning. I am eating at 1200 calories per day (I do eat my exercise calories. I need the extra energy depending on the extremity of the work out). I am very mindful of my nutritional intake (protein, fiber, Vitamins, etc). I eat A LOT of protein (anywhere from 70 grams to 100 grams per day). You can lose the weight, be healthy about, and not gain it back. While I am far from returning to maintenance, I don't plan on going back to the way that I previously ate before (whatever I want in large amounts). I'm going to be mindful of what and how much I eat.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    it looks like my comment posted twice.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    30lbs in 3 months.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    113# in 1 year and 3 months.
  • cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    20lbs in 3 months
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    19 lbs in 8 weeks. swimming twice a week and fitness twice a week. I started with 1800cal a day, changed to 1700cal last week.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I started at 150 (I am 5'6") in Jan
    I weighed 139.8 this morning - soo three months...
    I am trying something new (eating breakfast) to see if I can get rid of the last of the flab (what is left of the belly)...
    I exercise for at least 30 min 5 times a week (the past 3 weeks) - before that I know I did at least 2-3 times per week...
    Mostly cardio but have been doing a few weeks of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (not daily)
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    50 pounds in 16 months
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in 12 weeks...and kept it off...until I got pregnant.. :P
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    26 pounds in two years. I took it slow.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    72 pounds in 15 months, have kept 57 of it off completely. Was probably too thin at that point, but would now like to lose about 7.
    Kaye
  • padackllins
    Options
    At the beginning of my journey, I went from well over 200lbs [about 230lbs I think] to 140lbs-ish in under a year. UK size 16 to a 10. :) I'm currently at just over 160lbs after a couple of years of being off the wagon but aiming for 140lbs. Initially I was aiming for that by the end of May but that probably isn't achieve so I'm extending it to the end of June. :)
  • acoons1990
    Options
    I lost 50 in the first six months, gained 5 lbs. back over the next six months (due to not having control of what I ate while studying abroad), and then lost another 26 in the six months after that. So a net loss of 71 pounds in a year and a half.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    See ticker.
    Started March 12, 2012. Thirteen and one half months. Seven pounds to go to original goal.
  • acoons1990
    Options
    I started out quite a bit overweight though... 250 pounds at 5' 11.5''. So losing was easier at the beginning.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Lost 25 in the last 2.5-3 months
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    When I started 2 years ago, I lost 30 lbs in 4 months, but the first 25 were all in the first 3 months. It seems like a lot looking back on it, but I had been eating terribly and never working out, and I drastically changed that to counting all my calories (which I think I was doing between 1200 and 1500 cals/day) and exercising almost every day.

I then plateued at around 140 lbs, kept most of it off until about a year later when I stopped exercising. Regained about 7 lbs, and then decided to get back on track. Lost those 7, and in addition I've now I've lost 12 more, and am only 3 lbs from my goal weight! Overall I'm at 42 lbs lost since January 2011.

So I'd say depending on your weight it's do-able. Just know that once you get into a healthy BMI range, it's a lot slower to lose though (at least for me!).
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    WOW these stats are very impressive and more importantly, ENCOURAGING! I just started yesterday (well, really today but went back and tracked what I ate yesterday - 700 calories OVER). I currently weigh 239.6 and am also on the 1200 calorie plan - goal is to lose 100lbs.

What types of exercises are you doing? Frequency? I'm pretty sedentary and think this will be my biggest challenge.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    since Jan 1, I have lost 36 lbs ... so almost 40 in 4 months. But I had 70 total to lose and I think that makes a big difference.

I eat between 1700 and 1900 cal a day.