How many calories should I really eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've seen that one; it's really cool but it says my total energy expenditure is 2339 and my BMR is 1328. I'm eating between 1400 and 1500 calories a day, have been for over a year, and have gained over 25 lbs...most of it fat. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

You may be eating too little - too much of a deficit. I lost a ton of weight netting too few calories a day so when I did eat more, my body held on to every single calorie I ate and turned it to fat. I gained back a lot of the weight I lost eating 1500 -1600 calories a day and burning 2800 calories on average at the gym. Try cutting just 500 calories a day from your TDEE and see if that helps. I did a metabolism reset, have been eating more and the scale has finally started moving again. Just my 2 cents :)
  • bigdgeek
    bigdgeek Posts: 88
    Options
    I've seen that one; it's really cool but it says my total energy expenditure is 2339 and my BMR is 1328. I'm eating between 1400 and 1500 calories a day, have been for over a year, and have gained over 25 lbs...most of it fat. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

You may be eating too little - too much of a deficit. I lost a ton of weight netting too few calories a day so when I did eat more, my body held on to every single calorie I ate and turned it to fat. I gained back a lot of the weight I lost eating 1500 -1600 calories a day and burning 2800 calories on average at the gym. Try cutting just 500 calories a day from your TDEE and see if that helps. I did a metabolism reset, have been eating more and the scale has finally started moving again. Just my 2 cents :)

That seems to be the general consensus on these threads; we'll see what the RMR results are. I think intellectually I do need to eat more to increase my metabolism, it's just hard to actually do it because I'm afraid of the initial weight gain.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It took me about 9 months to lose 32lbs and reach my goal. Please note that I messed up many times. If I was perfect every single day I'm sure the weight would've come off faster, but I would've been a miserable beast without some CHINESE FOOD or ice cream every now and then. But it's ok. I got right back on the horse and all is well.

I lose weight but eat Chinese food daily :laugh: