Foot numbness on eliptical trainer

Options
I've been experiencing dumbness in the feet after 15 minutes on the trainer. I don't get this on the recumbent bike however. Anyone experience this and what can I do to eliminate it?

Replies

• carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Stoopid feet...

Are your laces too tight?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I find lifting my feet now and again helps. I get numbness as well, mainly in my right foot however I have an old injury that never healed so I constantly have issues with numbness and pain in that foot.

Shifting your feet and lifting them now and again helps.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I too get this!! It improved when I bought better shoes, but it just delays it. If you find out a way to stop it let me know :wink:
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    happens to me as well. shifting your feet around will help. I don't know what causes it, but the shifting helps
  • Caitable
    Caitable Posts: 14
    Options
    I get this when my shoes are laced too tight :)
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've had that. Numbness is usually down to circulation. remember on the elliptical to keep your feet flat, don't go up on the toes. Also make sure your posture is good - your shoulders should be as level as possible while exercising rather than moving your body side to side to perform the motion. let your legs do the work. :-)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    new shoes fixed it for me. got some real light avia running shoes.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    makes me feel better to know that others experience this as well!
  • doober922
    doober922 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I read an article yesterday that stated one way to alleviate this is sit back on your heels so you are not placing your weight forward on your feet.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I get this too. Sometimes, I'm able to lift one foot at a time or wiggle my toes and get the numbness to go away. Other times, I'll get off for just like 20 seconds or so and move my feet around. It does the trick and I jump right back on.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to get this all the time. Seeing your post just made me think about it and I realize that I don't have the problem any more, and I do 60 minutes 3 days a week.

A couple of things might be making the difference: I got new training shoes. And I rarely go for more than 30 minutes on the same elliptical. I split my workouts between a "flatter" elliptical to one that has some pitch to it just to change things up. I also do high-intensity intervals for half of my workout--maybe those force the feet to change positions enough to avoid the numbness.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Dumbness?? hehehe
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am doing a fitness instructor course and I was teaching a client the elliptical, in the manual there was a NB about elliptical foot, I didn't even realise it was recognised ! just do a few ankle circles or flexion/extension of the ankle and it will quickly pass.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing dumbness in the feet after 15 minutes on the trainer. I don't get this on the recumbent bike however. Anyone experience this and what can I do to eliminate it?

ME TOO! I hate it. Sometimes going backwards for a few seconds helps, and sometimes by the end of my workout, I am lifting my feet a tad as I make a rotation, sort of like I am stepping.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    haha i get this too. Kicks in after about 10-15 minutes or so. Thought I was the only one. If I wear my barefoot shoes (vibram 5 fingers) it doesnt happen, but any other lace up running shoes it always does....I probably tie them too tight I guess.
  • btbs25
    btbs25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would have this problem if I put my feet all the way to the top of the pedal (or whatever it is called) but since I moved my feet back I haven't had the problem anymore.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I get this too. Sometimes, I'm able to lift one foot at a time or wiggle my toes and get the numbness to go away. Other times, I'll get off for just like 20 seconds or so and move my feet around. It does the trick and I jump right back on.

This is exactly what I do, it's the best solution I've found. 20-30 seconds is all it takes, and it stays away for 15 minutes or so.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    yup...everytime. I have to really think about how i'm moving my feet and make sure I'm doing a heal to toe motion - otherwise I'm more up on the balls of my feet and they go numb...
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    my toes usually go numb on the elliptical. I just ignore it:)
  • Desire090902
    Desire090902 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This has always happened to me! I could never figure out why and the only thing that makes it go away is wiggling my toes. Glad to know I'm not the only one.