Strength / Weight Training Help?

Options
2»

Replies

• wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    This young lady is an olympic lifter and routinely puts (more than) her own body weight overhead. Does she look bulky?

Photo%2Bon%2B2011-04-13%2Bat%2B20.16%2B%25234.jpg

mqdefault.jpg
  • sunshine5512
    sunshine5512 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No she doesn't. She looks hot!!! Lol
    Ok you guys have me convinced. My boyfriend has a set of adjustable up to 35 lb weights at his house. How about that weight size? Better than the 5 or 10? I'm gonna give that a try and look up the new rules of lifting for women. Thank you guys for your help.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    This young lady is an olympic lifter and routinely puts (more than) her own body weight overhead. Does she look bulky?

mqdefault.jpg

Holy cow, racktastic pic lol
  • jlcarcajc4
    jlcarcajc4 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. Just google "body weight workout" and you'll find a myriad of workout routines and exercises that'll let you get a total body workout without a single piece of equipment. :)
    [/quote]

I'm doing Body by you which is body weight, is this just as effective? I don't have the money for a gym membership or money to buy barbells/weights.
  • jlcarcajc4
    jlcarcajc4 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. Just google "body weight workout" and you'll find a myriad of workout routines and exercises that'll let you get a total body workout without a single piece of equipment. :)

I'm doing Body by you which is body weight, is this just as effective? I don't have the money for a gym membership or money to buy barbells/weights.

sorry, was trying to "quote" properly but obviously I haven't figured it out yet. :tongue:
  • KimPratt222
    KimPratt222 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

mqdefault.jpg

EXACTLY!!!!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You might want to chek out this girls website:

http://muffintop-less.tumblr.com/

She lifts heavy...I don't see any major muscle mass or bulkiness on her! :) Website has lots of great info on it.

YEAH!! That girl is freaking HOT!!

Honestly I spent years doing nothing but stupid DVDs (like Jillian) and spent countless hours on the elliptical and all it got me was flabby and skinny. It wasn't until I started weight training that I saw REAL results. I'm 110 pounds, hardly bulky. :wink:
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    No she doesn't. She looks hot!!! Lol
    Ok you guys have me convinced. My boyfriend has a set of adjustable up to 35 lb weights at his house. How about that weight size? Better than the 5 or 10? I'm gonna give that a try and look up the new rules of lifting for women. Thank you guys for your help.

Better than 5-10lbs, but probably not enough, and not nearly as good as a barbell.
    Stronglifts is simple (5 exercises), short (3 a day, working out every other day), and easy (you start with an empty bar for most exercises), and I've seen more results in 6 weeks of doing that than I did in years of running 1/2 marathons.

And by "enough", we mean you should lift heavy, and by "heavy" we mean that, in less than 10 reps, you should be thinking, "there is no way in hell I could do 2 more reps at this weight". Better is hitting that in 5 reps. That's what I mean by "heavy" -- which is heavy *for you*.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    In fact, there is a Stronglifts for women group here on MFP.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    Maybe ask some of them how they find it, and if it's working for them.