Multiple Food Allergies - looking for friends!

Options
Hi Everyone!

I've been on MFP for a little over 2 years but just started really losing weight since January of this year. I have a little bit of a problem, though - I have multiple food "sensitivities" and a few allergies, and I'm looking for supportive friends who are going through the same thing. I am allergic to gluten/wheat and peanuts and extremely sensitive/intolerant to dairy, soy, and nuts. It's a very challenging way to live - I would love to hear what has helped others cope with food allergies, and not just the food aspect but also the social aspect; eating out, parties, etc.

Please add me or reply :)

-Becky

Replies

• jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh I've so been there Becky! There is light at the end of the tunnel but I'm afraid it takes a lot of effort and you have to be prepared to cook all your own meals - it's actually what triggered my love of cooking (eventually!) I'm pleased to say I've managed to reintroduce almost all of the foods I was intolerant to (not the grapefruit allergy though) but its been a long haul and I do still have to keep a mental note and watch for any signs I've slipped!

Feel free to add me - not sure i know enough about all of your intolerances but I can certainly offer a helping hand :)
  • rosehippy77
    rosehippy77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Snap! Everything same except the soya.
    My allergies are - Nuts (all kinds) Eggs, Apples, Pears, peaches, plums, nectarines, cherries, raisins (but not grapes strangely)
    Dairy intolerant, although I stupidly seem to persist in eating cheese!
    Gluten intolerant, I let the odd thing in now and again, and regret it next morning, I never seem to learn!
    I've been tested for celiac but it was negative.

I'm really becoming bored with eating the same stuff over and over again!

I have to dash, bathtime for the kids, feel free to add me!
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky! Not quite as limited as yourself but I am vegan (no meat, dairy, or eggs) and my boyfriend is celiac, so most of the things we make and eat have to be both gluten and dairy free if that helps =) and I understand what an erm... adventure! cooking under such restrictions can be.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky - I am oat/rice/gluten/corn/dairy/nut (all types) and vegetable oil free. And I have kids that are dairy/corn/soy/gluten/nut free.... we have some experience in this area.

We cook all our meals, and if we are going to a party/dinner, we make sure to plan ahead. Either eat before we go, or take something with us, or know where we are going to check out the menu before we go etc. Its a lot of work, but we do what we have to do.
  • beckystahnke
    beckystahnke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has added me so far!! I'm amazed to see what other people are allergic to - I thought mine were hard, but things like apples and corn, I hardly think twice about them. Thanks for the support!
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hey there! So glad I found this. I am dealthy (anaphylactic shock reaction) allergic to all nuts, peanuts, soy, potatoes, peas and oranges. I'd love to offer each other some support. Super new to thses allergies and it's a daunting journey!
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to grapefruit. I've got all the other intolerances under control now but it was a long a haul and total dedication to frustrating exclusion diets and food recording. Mine were tomatoes, white wine, citric acid, citrus fruits, vinegar, wheat - try buying ANYTHING that doesn't contain citric acid!
    Currently the allergies are manifested in my skin - I'm anaphylactic allergic to linalool (a lavender concentrated component) limonene, parfum, and a particular blue dye. I have to watch for these in foods too as celery contains limonene.

I think I've got it easy compared to many of you here! Hope my experiences can offer some help, specially in the early days for people - it can be very depressing but it is possible to lead a normal life with a few adjustments :)
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to: chocolate, fish, sea food, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, yellow colouring. these are anaphylaxis allergies. I used to get incredibly ill when i had dairy, eggs, meat, chicken, but after switching to grass feed organic beef, and organic eggs etc and going to naet treatments I can have these now. anything that comes out of a box or package i usually pay for in hives or being sick.
  • jasminsong
    jasminsong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jasmin, and am allergic to wheat, dairy, soy and sensitive to too much sugar. I'm also allergic to shell fish, coconut oil and a few other things. I have found that the only time I ever really lose weight is when I eliminate those foods out of my diet and exercise at least 5 days a week. I know exactly what you're going through. I went to weight watchers for about 6 weeks, and just quit because they are not focused on food allergies at all. I'm back here to count calories, log my activities and foods. And of course, I'm eliminating those foods completely. What's the use of dieting if the foods you eat are causing inflammation and other allergic reactions, right? You have my support. I found that glutino bread and whole foods sandwich white breads are tasty. There are lots of tips and tricks to eating tasty hypoallergenic foods. lol. Feel free to send me a friend request, and we can support each other. I'd like to lose 40 pounds.
  • jewelsbehm
    jewelsbehm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Julie and I'm just beginning my journey to figure out my food allegies and sensitivities. Turns out I'm allergic to pork. I don't eat beef or chicken, so now pork is out, too. Thank God fish and turkey were okay.

The test for food sensitivities showed that I'm sensitive to amaranth, asparagus, avocado, carrots, cauliflower, cocoa, coffee, lettuce, malt, mustard, nutrasweet, oranges, oregano, poppy seeds, black pepper, safflower, sesame, teff, tumeric, baker's and brewer's yeast, and all dairy. The gluten test wasn't positive, but then I've been gluten-free since February, so that wasn't a surprise. I'm still going to keep it from my diet because I do react to it when I eat it. I'm also suspicious of bananas and have removed those, too.

I'm starting week two of eliminating all of these food from my diet and boy, what a week! Lots of challenges but at least physically, I'm finally at a point where I'm starting to feel good. And I lost a little weight, where I had been a little stalled. I have yet to eat out or at someone else's house and am trying to figure out how to handle it and other situations. Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend. I'd love to help support others and learn from each other!
  • pwicke
    pwicke Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi! I have similar allergies and I find feel better when I watch my diet. Oreo's may taste good, but I pay!

There is also a food allergy sub board on here, you should search for it!!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to and do not eat gluten, dairy, yeast (eliminated beer, gluten-free breads, etc.) kidney beans and cinnamon.

It is a lot of work for sure to avoid these items. I have entire spreadsheets of foods/snacks that I can eat that I have researched. LOL As far as social events, I always make sure I have food in my purse. I try to keep protein (jerky, protein bars) and dessert (gluten-free cookies). If I am going out to a restaurant, I call ahead and work out a gluten/dairy free meal with the restaurant. If I can't call ahead, I tell the waitress that I have allergies and ask for substitutions. I find that restaurants are not surprised and are happy to work with me (I think they are seeing this a lot more these days).

Most of the chain restaurants make special menus available online where they list allergens and nutrition facts. Whenever possible, I suggest the restaurant for social outings so I can pick one that I know I can work with. Then I figure out ahead what I plan to order and pre-log it in MFP so I can breeze off the event feeling confident that I can order and avoid my allergies and stay within my calories.

These days, some menus even note the allergens with symbols. Or you can ask and they will bring an allergy menu to your table (like Red Robin, Chili's and Applebees).

Living with allergies can be challenging but you can work through it with some effort and planning. Feel free to add me!
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Black pepper and all raw vegetables, except lettuce are my allergy triggers. I have an epi pen for pepper and the others cause my ears, lips and mouth to itch and swell. MSG is a big one for me also, causes severe diarrhea almost instantly. I am also lactose intolerant and have problems with corn, especially popcorn. I am in my sixties and it took me a lot of years to figure out what caused my health problems, so it is great to see young people that already know they have allergies and food sensitivities.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    People always wonder what I eat, when I'm gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant (mostly milk that gives me issues - cheese and yogurt are ok in moderation), allergic to shellfish, and don't eat a lot of carbs. I don't even think about it anymore and enjoy all the foods I eat!! It's different when I choose not to eat something, vs thinking I CAN'T have something. I choose not to eat soy or legumes (including peanuts). It just takes planning ahead and making most of my own meals, which I am happy to do.

PS - my little sister grew up with a ton of food allergies/intolerances - wheat, corn, nuts, chicken, eggs, dairy (all!), chocolate, citrus, strawberries, tomatoes, well water, etc. So it wasn't a huge change for me as an adult, I learned to read labels young. Mostly, I try not to buy things with labels, so no ingredient lists!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    By the way, I have been learning about what causes food allergies in the first place. A lot of time it is "leaky gut" syndrome. Especially when I see someone allergic/sensitive to healthy foods that are not part of highly processed foods (like asparagus or turkey) it seems likely that leaky gut is the cause.

You can google leaky gut, but the basic idea is that damage to the intestines cause separate in the walls so that food particles leak out into the blood stream. The body sees these as foreign objects and mounts an immune response. Hence the allergies/sensitivity. Which means that if you avoid those foods and eat other foods, as the new foods leak you will just develop sensitivity to those new foods. Endless cycle.

The way out of the cycle is to heal the gut. Then avoid the sensitive foods long enough for the body's immune response to settle down, then they can be incorporated again.

I am completing a leaky gut test right now (involves saliva samples over a day at different times then sent off to a lab). If you want to read a great book about it, I recommend "Accidentally Overweight" by Dr. Libby Weaver.
  • jewelsbehm
    jewelsbehm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    By the way, I have been learning about what causes food allergies in the first place. A lot of time it is "leaky gut" syndrome. Especially when I see someone allergic/sensitive to healthy foods that are not part of highly processed foods (like asparagus or turkey) it seems likely that leaky gut is the cause.

You can google leaky gut, but the basic idea is that damage to the intestines cause separate in the walls so that food particles leak out into the blood stream. The body sees these as foreign objects and mounts an immune response. Hence the allergies/sensitivity. Which means that if you avoid those foods and eat other foods, as the new foods leak you will just develop sensitivity to those new foods. Endless cycle.

The way out of the cycle is to heal the gut. Then avoid the sensitive foods long enough for the body's immune response to settle down, then they can be incorporated again.

I am completing a leaky gut test right now (involves saliva samples over a day at different times then sent off to a lab). If you want to read a great book about it, I recommend "Accidentally Overweight" by Dr. Libby Weaver.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Just looked it up and it sounds really interesting. Looking forward to diving into it!
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of "leaky gut." Interesting.

I am sure that isn't the cause of all food allergies, though. I have never consumed even one tiny amount of fish or shellfish (I've been a vegetarian my entire life), but have anaphylactic reactions to both groups of foods. I have certainly been AROUND fish and shellfish, though, and have likely breathed in the aerosolized protein particles, which is what caused my allergies (One cannot be allergic to something to which he/she has never been exposed; I've been exposed to my allergens, but not in the traditional manner). Now, my allergies to fish and shellfish have become so serious that I have anaphylactic reactions after both dermal and inhalation exposures. The proteins to which I am allergic are not in my gut at all, but are instead on my skin or in my lungs.

I am so sorry to read that so many others have severe food allergies, as well. It certainly makes eating out difficult! I cannot eat in any restaurants that serve fish or shellfish, which is pretty much every restaurant, unless I give EXTREMELY detailed instructions, trust that the kitchen and wait staff will take my allergies seriously, wear a mask, and risk needing to use an Epi-pen (and visit the ER, of course). Not fun.

It used to be easier than it is now. It used to be that I knew to avoid fish and shellfish, as well as anything remotely resembling Asian food. NOW, however, I cannot even trust that orange juice, baby food, margarine, and numerous other foods are safe (DHA is added in the form of tuna oil). Again, not fun.

Again, I am so sorry.
  • helenrs87
    helenrs87 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm not sure exactly if I have food allergies, but I have eczema. My doctor has been very unhelpful with this but looking more into it, many say it is commonly caused by 'leaky gut', and that eczema is essentially an allegic response to undigested food entering your bloodstream. The main offenders are wheat, dairy, nightshades etc. The diet recommends cutting out all foods you're sensitive to for 4-6 weeks, reintroducing them one by one and watching for a reaction. If a reaction occurs then you have to remove them for 6 months to a year.

I cannot afford allergy testing so the list of things I'm giving up to try and cover all bases is huge. How do you guys know you're allergic to something? Do you have severe reactions to these? Anaphylaxsis, angiodema etc? Other people keep saying to me 'once you introduce something you're body doesn't agree with you'll know about it'. Some people have said it on here too, 'I'll pay for it the next day'. What warning signs are these? I guess as my symptoms are mild I'm not aware of small changes in my condition, but it'll be easier to deal if I don't wait for it to get worse. Did you all get allergy tested? And if so, where from (anyone in the UK?)

If you're looking into leaky gut as a cause, it's worth researching candidiasis too (a common cause of leaky gut) and intestinal parasites.

I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting through this diet, so please add me if you have any advice/help or are going through a similar thing. I could really use the support :)
  • StaceyShapesUp
    Options
    I feel all of your pain...my mum has heaps of allergies too...yeast (THE worst one in my opinion as it's in everything..even stuff you wouldn't think it would be in), dairy, eggs, soy, shellfish, caffeine, soy, lentils...you name it! Every shop in the supermarket is a task..I have to read every single label for her. And yes she is very limited to what she can eat..thank god she can cook everything she eats from scratch or she'd be screwed!

I myself am intolerant to dairy and yeast...only intolerant cause it makes my stomach swell like im almost ready to give birth lol so this new "diet" im on I cut out all bread and have tortillas with no yeast instead and no milk except a lil bit of yogurt in the mornings on my cereal.

Anyway..feel your pain...it is hard to diet whilst suffering from these allergies..but it does get easier once you establish things you CAN eat and work around that to also lose weight.
  • laurajosie
    laurajosie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I empathize with all of you! I have anaphylactic tree nut reactions (but peanuts are okay, except most peanuts are shelled in the same processing plant with tree nuts), celiac disease, and lactose intolerance (I can handle some milk as long as I am careful). I also think I have a reaction to tapioca, but I'm not completely sure about that one, because it seems like I can handle gluten-free tapioca based bread okay but if I use tapioca starch (definitely labeled gluten-free, so it's not cross contamination) or tapioca pearls my stomach reacts. And I also just plain hate chicken so I'm limited that way too, plus I had my gallbladder out so I have to be careful of eating enough, but not too much, fat at the right times.

I think the biggest challenge for me with food allergies is trying to track everything I eat, when I make most of what I eat myself. It's just such a pain whenever I try a new recipe to figure out the nutritional information, because even though I get most of my recipes from Clean Eating and Cooking Light I often do substitutions to make it something I can actually eat. Not to mention that half of the foods in pretty much every workout "diet" plan I've ever seen have nuts, chicken, and healthy whole-wheat items so I can never just follow the food plan directly.