not sure how many calories i should be eating? Help!

Options
MFP has me eating 1200 calories and since I am still nursing my 15 month old it takes away an extra 200 calories(has me eating 1400 total). I workout 5-6 days a week 30-45 minutes. I would like to lose around 10-15 pounds but want to make sure I stil have nutirents to be able to provide for my nursling. Should I eat 1200 or 1400 calories? What about the amount of calories I burn working out?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I would set your goal to 0.5lbs per week. Without a lot to lose you shouldn't try to lose it too quickly especially if you are nursing.

Eat the calories it gives for 0.5lbs per week, plus your nursing calories plus your exercise calories (2/3 of them if you going based on MFP calorie burns).
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Add 500 calories per day to your goal to feed the baby.

Set your daily caloric intake goal after reading this thread, which very simply explains how you can go about losing weight. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

1200 or even 1400 is, I'm sorry to say, way too little for a nursing mom. Feed that baby!!
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

1200 or even 1400 is, I'm sorry to say, way too little for a nursing mom. Feed that baby!!

This!! 100% agree. Now is not the time to drastically cut calories. Your body is doing a lot of work!
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    There's no single answer to how many calories a nursing mom needs. But in general, most women who are breastfeeding need about 500 calories more than moms who aren't – that's a total of 2,000 to 2,500 calories per day.
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_diet-for-a-healthy-breastfeeding-mom_3565.bc

You will lose by breastfeeding alone, too...
    I would DEF listen to your body, no matter what you decide to limit your intake to though.
    Healthy choices will make a difference but still feed you and baby, too...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Oh my...
    Add 500 calories per day to your goal to feed the baby.

Set your daily caloric intake goal after reading this thread, which very simply explains how you can go about losing weight. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

This.
  • ajschust27
    ajschust27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Might be wise to consult a doctor on this question.
  • wizard1733
    wizard1733 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That helps alot!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE...take a 15% cut from that and that should be fine. You are a nursing mom and your body needs more calories and nutrients.
  • prisan512
    prisan512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said. And consulting with a doctor isn't always the best either since many doctors believe eating 1200 calories a day, which is unleahty for anyone. Do your calculations on this page that I will post, and do not select higher than a 15% cut, and also I would say you are doing moderate to strenuous workout. Do the math yourself, and do what's right for you and your baby.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • caleo2006
    caleo2006 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! I agree that 1200 is definitely not enough. I joined MFP shortly after I had my baby and followed their guidelines for what I should eat and I am very sad to say that my milk dried up in the process. I was NOT eating anywhere close to what I should have. I wish I had focused more on just exercising and eating when hungry rather than counting calories, because I was hungry and cranky all the time from not eating properly. You have an advantage with breastfeeding, because you will burn 300+ calories a day just doing that alone. So I say eat and exercise. You will find the weight will come off!