5k Running advice needed.

Options
I'm on the last week of c25k, so I can run for 30 minutes. I generally run on the treadmill at 4.5 mph. So distance wise, right now I am able to go 2.25 miles.

Here's my problem, I have a 5k race on May 4 (2 weeks away). Would it be possible for me to work up from 2.25 to 3.1 miles in that time, or would that be too much too fast?

If you think it's possible, what's the best way to go about it?

Replies

• melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your 5k course will feel different than a treadmill. I would suggest fitting in some runs outdoors, if possible. For your treadmill runs, try to increase the speed one tenth at a time during your workouts, while still staying at a pace you can sustain (so maybe try to get to 5.0?).

It's so much more important that you finish the race than meet a specific speed. Push yourself, but don't worry if it takes you more than the suggested 30 minutes! I recently ran in a 5k and didn't meet my goal, but I signed up for another so I can keep reaching new goals. Good luck, and enjoy it!!
  • RachelHoffman0709
    RachelHoffman0709 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is much different than running outside. I would recommend going outside and just jog as far as you can go. Don't worry about how fast you are going, actually I would make an effort to run slower. Make sure you have good shoes. Pay attention to your body, you can run through annoyance, but if it hurts you need to stop.
  • jvancrazy44
    jvancrazy44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you will be fine, you def need to run outside
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I think you should be fine. When you run a 5K you kind of suck energy out of the crowd and the feel of the group. Its amazing to me how much more energy/stamina I have running a organized run than when I run on my own or with a friend.
  • ttesta20
    ttesta20 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Defeinitely squeeze in some outdoor runs before that day, just to get used to the feeling of it. Even better if you can run the actual course as practice too! Road running and treadmill running are pretty different - you have a lot more environmental factors outdoors, especially in the Spring when there's pollen and people are mowing their grass etc. Give your body time to adjust to it and you will be much better off.

Also, keep in mind that on race day, your adrenaline will be heightened, whether you feel it or not. I wasn't sure how my first 5k would go either, but it's so exhilarating being there with a bunch of fellow runners! I ended up finishing my first 5k a whole 5 minutes faster than my previous best time. Best of luck! You will do just fine!
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What they said. Also, if you are doing the treadmill on zero resistance, try the random program with hills that come and go, most 5K paths aren't flat, so that will help the treadmill mimic the out doors a little more. But the fact is the sidewalk/path isn't moving outside, your speed is likely to be a little slower.

Finishing is more important that time. Once you set that first time in a 5K, you can then work toward beating it.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Going from 2.25 - 3.1 miles is nothing. You will be fine.
  • CallieRettig
    Options
    Avid runner here: I agree, you need to get outside and experience with different terrain. Honestly, as far as mileage goes, you are there. I am mostly a 10k/half marathoner and more recently a marathoner, and in all training plans you never actually run your race distance. To put it in perspective, for my half marathon trainer, my highest workout was 10 miles. I completed the half marathon (13.1 miles) in 1:56. You got it girl, just get on some different surfaces and don't over do it :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. You can probably do it already. Once you get the feel down of running past the point of comfort, you can go much further than you realize. Plus, the energy of the race atmosphere will certinly pull you along. I would suggest getting some outdoor running in in advance of the race though, just so you know what you are in for. Since it's your first 5K, don't focus on trying to finish the race in any specific time, just focus on finishing and enjoy your accomplishment!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible! I was on the last week of c25k and when I noticed my time was nearly up, I realized my body felt really good, So I thought I'd run a few more minutes, then I looked down and saw I was already really close to 3 miles, why not just finish then? And before I knew it I had run my first 5k on the treadmill!

You're already so close, just make the decision to add on a bit more and a bit more.. and a bit more. Like others said, treadmill running is very different from outside running. There is wind! and gentle inclines that feel like mountains to my untrained legs. Give it a go if the weather is nice where you are. You might find that you love it, and never want to return to the hamster wheel again!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I don't run outside by myself because I'm genuinely afraid to (I have a good reason). I do have a friend who will run with me outside so we plan on getting together a few times before the race.

I really don't care how long it takes for me to run the 5k, I just want to be able to do the full distance without walking.

If I increased my distance to get up to 3.1 miles, that would be increasing my distance by 38% over two weeks. That's a lot more than the 10% increase per week that's usually recommended.

ETA: Wow, I got a lot of replies while I was typing this post! Thank you everyone. This one was only in response to the first two replies, though. :)
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    You WILL run faster outside. You definitely should get out and run some. If you have someone that will run with you, it will help take your mind off of wanting to stop.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You really need to get outside, (just saw you don't feel safe) Can you go to a schools track? usually they let you do that with no problems.

When you do the 5k. Start off a little slow. usually there is a water break in the middle. Take advantage of this if you need to and slow to a walk or stop for a few moments.

It will be crazy on that last little bit when everyone is yelling and screaming for you. Enjoy!
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    And if you need any extra motivational help - a friend recently sent me this as a get-up-and-go text and I've been repeating it to myself while running:

"Yes, you can still breathe. No, your legs aren't that tired. Keep going."
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I also want to second the getting outside and running. I trained myself to run on a treadmill during 2012 winter and was amazed at how much faster and more stamina I had running outside once spring arrived.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If I increased my distance to get up to 3.1 miles, that would be increasing my distance by 38% over two weeks. That's a lot more than the 10% increase per week that's usually recommended.

I know it sounds like a lot, but trust us, it isn't. Building that foundation is the most important part and you have already done that by running for 30 minutes. After that, the miles come easy. Get those mental road blocks out of your head and you will be fine.
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    I did C25K last fall and was always slower than the app's 10:00/mile pace (I'm more like an 11:00/mile). I finished C25K the week before I did a FIVE MILE mud run. You really do run on adrenaline during race day. Definitely try to increase your distance or at least try to run for longer times (say 35-40 minutes) before your 5K and you'll be fine! Good luck!
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you will be absolutely fine running 5k. If you can run 30 minutes, you can run for 40 or even longer. Just pace yourself and don't worry too much about the time. .

However, like others say, you really do need to get out of the gym. Even if you find a friend who will cycle alongside you, or what about park run?

Running on a treadmill is so different, and you won't have any experience of hills, wind, uneven terrain.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do 3.1 miles, it just may not be as quick as you'd like. And that's ok! Who cares if your 5k takes you 45 minutes instead of 30? The fact will be, you finished it. Over the next couple of weeks just try to increase your distance and don't worry about time.
  • Emmykelley03
    Options
    During a race you should try your best to never stop and walk. Slow down as much as you need to, but at least keep a jog going. If you want to get into a running pace again I use the 10 step rule. 10 steps fast 10 steps at a slower pace. It usually quickens your pace all together. Also, try to stay closely behind someone your pace, then try and pass them up in the end. :) Good Luck!