Sugar

Options
I just switched my food settings to show carbs, fat and sugar. For breakfast I had two pieces of toast, a bowl of weight control oatmeal and a cup of milk. I'm already almost at my sugar limit for the entire day!!! What's the deal, is this really acurate??

Replies

• areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I just switched my food settings to show carbs, fat and sugar. For breakfast I had two pieces of toast, a bowl of weight control oatmeal and a cup of milk. I'm already almost at my sugar limit for the entire day!!! What's the deal, is this really acurate??
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem! I go over my sugar every day. I am eating healthy so I have kind of just ignored it.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    found a great article on sugar, carbs, and fiber. I feel like this article could be an eye opener for some who tend to separate carbs, sugar, and fiber. If you read and truely understand this article it can be a huge help in gaining the upper hand on how your body burns fuel.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045000.asp

afaurot, it all depends on what types of sugars you are consuming. The sugar in fruits and vegetables is a LOT better for you then table sugar and soft drinks. The article can explain why. But just be aware, most of the stuff you ate (with the possible exception of some added sugar in the oatmeal) sounds like reasonable sugar, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just don't go over by a crazy amount, and don't start eating candy bars or twinkies. :tongue:
  • sitarami
    sitarami Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Banks,
    This article is chocked full of info! Thanks.:glasses:
  • philsdana
    Options
    I agree with Banks1850. My husband and I have been using myfitnesspal now since Sept and have both lost almost 20 lbs each. However my husband is now considered diabetic, but very low not needing medication, which I thought would change things. We recently attended a nutrition class and it's basically for everyone who wants to start eating healthy and losing or maintaining healthy weight. You want to look at the total carbs instead of breaking down the fiber and sugar seperately (it's all combined in the total carb number). For someone that is on a 1200 cal diet, they should be consuming 154g total carbs, 63g protein, and 35g fat a day. A 1500 diet is 194g carbs, 80g protein, and 45g fat. A 1800 cal diet is 222g carbs, 88g protein, and 60g fat. Like banks1850 said you need to be looking at the good carbs, not high sugary foods or soda. To our surprise the nutrition teacher said that you don't need to cut out sugar to maintain good sugar levels, you just need to follow the plan as I listed. Since we attended the class a week and 1/2 ago, my husband has since lost another 4 lbs and I've lost 2. It's amazing how good we eat now. We still have 1 meal a week where we don't think about anything.
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Thanks for the article! This has some really great information in it!!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    found a great article on sugar, carbs, and fiber. I feel like this article could be an eye opener for some who tend to separate carbs, sugar, and fiber. If you read and truely understand this article it can be a huge help in gaining the upper hand on how your body burns fuel.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045000.asp

afaurot, it all depends on what types of sugars you are consuming. The sugar in fruits and vegetables is a LOT better for you then table sugar and soft drinks. The article can explain why. But just be aware, most of the stuff you ate (with the possible exception of some added sugar in the oatmeal) sounds like reasonable sugar, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just don't go over by a crazy amount, and don't start eating candy bars or twinkies. :tongue:

Guy likes chickpeas - they are in the top 9 twice :laugh: