Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us

Options
124»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,062 Member
    Options
    "One thing I can say, the Moss book has a TON of substance and facts, and is pretty convincing about the ways the food industry manipulate the food to make it the most appealing."

Duh....If I'm selling something and I want to make a profit I am CERTAINLY going to make it as appealing as I can. That is a far cry from having the purpose of making America obese!!!

Suggest you read the book olDave.

On Amazon, 88% give it a 4+ out of 5.

Some of the top comments are ...

“ Anyone who wants to know what you're eating and what's really in there should read this book. ”

“ The depth of research is excellent and the technical data is presented in a very readable style which makes the book a pleasure to read. ”

“ And you're gonna learn about some pretty deceptive practices to make moms/parents feel good about the mostly sugar water that gets targeted to kids. ”

I think you and others would have a different opinion if you read the book you are so quick to dismiss.

Whether he or anyone else in this thread reads the book is irrelevant. I am amazed that you got past the age of nine without knowing that chips and coke and candy bars and McDonalds and all the processed foods in the grocery store should not be the staples of your diet. Come on, are you really that naive?

You don't need a $39 book to tell you this stuff. If it comes in a box with Barney on it, don't give it to your kids!

If it comes with a toy as incentive to buy it, don't buy it!

Didn't your parents tell you this stuff? Or your grandparents say, "No, you don't need that second KoolAid, one is enough." This isn't rocket surgery! Especially on a fitness site, where people are pretty savvy about food.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    Whether he or anyone else in this thread reads the book is irrelevant. I am amazed that you got past the age of nine without knowing that chips and coke and candy bars and McDonalds and all the processed foods in the grocery store should not be the staples of your diet. Come on, are you really that naive?

What if your daily calorie allotment is 4000 like me, why should i be forced to fill up my other 2500 (based on the average person here intaking 1500 calorie a day) calories with boring *kitten* vegetables? Why cant i have my staple chocolate bar before my workout?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,062 Member
    Options

What if your daily calorie allotment is 4000 like me, why should i be forced to fill up my other 2500 (based on the average person here intaking 1500 calorie a day) calories with boring *kitten* vegetables? Why cant i have my staple chocolate bar before my workout?

Your chocolate bar is not your main source of cals.

Don't take that out of context "chips and coke and candy bars and McDonalds and all the processed foods in the grocery store should not be the staples of your diet."

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Your belief that the "Food Giants" hooked us is false. You willingly CHOSE to eat the food

Try reading it; you might be surprised. I've just started reading it and the only reason that I am not surprised is that I've been researching nutrition and food politics for a long time. Each one of us is absolutely responsible for our own behaviour, but if you believe that there isn't intense effort put into making food more addictive, you are living in a fantasy world.

Cocoa Puffs et al are labeled heart healthy, and they are anything but. Don't you think food processors should be held accountable when they LIE to consumers and do everything they can to make their franken food as addictive as possible and then market those foods specifically to children? I do. Not to mention the manipilation of government agencies to promote the healthfulness of all this processed garbage.

However, I'm not on board with dietary fat being bad in general, but the fats in processed foods are indeed the worst possible kind: canola, corn and soy.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    Don't take that out of context "chips and coke and candy bars and McDonalds and all the processed foods in the grocery store should not be the staples of your diet."

Then dont make blanket statements. Simply say "one should not take in the bulk of their calories from "chips, coke, candy bars, McDonalds and all the processed foods in the grocery store " There are quite a few physically active people on this site who can and infact do work in so called "dirty" foods in daily life due to their higher caloric requirments.
  • Grabbit5
    Grabbit5 Posts: 9
    Options
    I seriously doubt that companies sit around contemplating ways to destroy it's customers by making them obese. They are out to make a profit...plain and simple.

When I read things like the OP, it's just another example of people looking for something to fear. The producers of books and "documentaries" that promote mass hysteria are guilty of playing on the natural tendency of people to find something to worry about.

Sigh.

Really?

Clearly the food industry makes a profit by selling more food. And they sell more food by making the nation fat. The too are too closely linked.

I DO think they sit around all day trying to figure out a way to get us to buy more of their product because I can't resist it.

The nation is getting fat at an alarming rate. The food industry acknowledged their contribution in 1999 and portions tried to self-regulate, but failed due to the huge profit motive on the other side. Read the first chapter.

No one that has commented has even addressed the fact that it is the kids that are targeted first - it is hard to preach a healthy lifestyle to them. And to anyone that says that parents can dictate what their kids eat, especially once they go into school, is being overly idealistic.

couldn't agree more. the majority of food companies are about profit - not nutrition. this is not a conspiracy theory, it's simple fact that money is the top goal when a company is in SALES. it seems a little surprising that people are quick to say that this is playing the blame-game. it's not. It's a matter of being responsible to your body. it's a matter of educating yourself about what labels really mean. it's opening your eyes after decades of being told that chemical *kitten*-storms are "part of this balanced breakfast."

we all say that we know that whole foods are best, but why are these multi-million dollar companies still in business? because there are people still buying and eating this garbage. it is a real problem and it needs to be talked about more.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options

You don't need a $39 book to tell you this stuff. If it comes in a box with Barney on it, don't give it to your kids!

If it comes with a toy as incentive to buy it, don't buy it!

Didn't your parents tell you this stuff? Or your grandparents say, "No, you don't need that second KoolAid, one is enough." This isn't rocket surgery! Especially on a fitness site, where people are pretty savvy about food.

I am happy to debate with you, but please keep it respectful. I spent $12 on the book - Kindle edition. Anyone that reads it would come away believing it was well researched and factual. Criticizing an author without reading their book and saying that it can't be factual because he wrote it to sell books is pretty cynical. At 480 pages, with lots of facts, it contains a lot of content for the price.

Want to know about me at 9? When I was 9 I ate Life cereal for breakfast - I thought it was healthy. It was iron fortified. Vitamins, minerals, and Mikey even liked it. Commercial said it was "supposed to be good for you".

In elementary school I learned about the food pyramid. Starches at the base. Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta - all good for you.

It took me a while to unlearn what I knew at 9.

I know what I need to eat to keep my weight under control and how to exercise to stay healthy. I believe it is each person's responsibility to keep themselves healthy,, eat the right foods, exercise regularly, get regular checkups, etc. That's all about the individual.

But when obesity rates rise across the population of the US and many parts of the world, I think there are causes that go beyond individual people not taking individual responsibility for their health. And I think understanding those reasons is important. This book gives a pretty compelling explanation.

Speaking of being healthy - I'm off for a run. Peace.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Brian...which is it? Individual responsibility or the food companies making us victims due to their brainwashing and manufacturing processes?

You stated....

"I know what I need to eat to keep my weight under control and how to exercise to stay healthy. I believe it is each person's responsibility to keep themselves healthy,, eat the right foods, exercise regularly, get regular checkups, etc. That's all about the individual."

"But when obesity rates rise across the population of the US and many parts of the world, I think there are causes that go beyond individual people not taking individual responsibility for their health. And I think understanding those reasons is important. This book gives a pretty compelling explanation."

You seem to be contradicting yourself. If you preach " it is each person's responsibility to keep themselves healthy", then it's no longer a matter of what the food companies do. You can't have it both ways. Even if some of the population finds it difficult or even impossible to stop overeating due to food company practices, THEY still bear responsibility for their lifestyle. If they are compulsive eaters they need to figure out why they are compulsive eaters. There always have been outside influences to human behavior and there always will be. Just because something tastes REALLY GOOD doesn't mean that the maker of the food should be found at fault when people actually eat it.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    come on guys, one thing is still true. so many people gave in this that today it is hard to find food without sugar and stuff in it.

Trust me I buy only food without added sugar etc.. but even roasted pepper in glass containers have added sugars for some reason!

I stick to a one ingredient grocery list, but I find it shamefull that in 2013 I cannot buy a basic tomato sauce without added sugar and salt. I can do it myself, I often doo, but groceries should be an option when buying these things, not an enemy trying to "hide" everything (ok not hidden but still a pain in the *kitten* to look for every single time).

This is so true and applies here in the UK too. I learned that when I looked at the nutritional labels, finding foods without any added 'extra's' was actually almost impossible. From sugars and salt, to chemicals I can't pronounce. Why? The more a food is processed the higher the profit. Finally I decided that if I was going to give my body only what it needed, not what the food companies say it needs I would have to change my whole approach. Apart from Greek yogurt, cheese, pate and canned sardines in tomato sauce (which apart from tuna is the only canned food I eat) all my groceries have one ingredient, and that is what it is supposed to be. I had to look to simple foods and make things myself. As I don't eat carbs, or very few under 25g a day, or milk, wheat or grains, it took a bit of research and finding out what things I could make. Now, if my late grandmother came into my kitchen with the exception of new more modern labeling, she would recognize everything I use. So a very simple meat, poultry, fish, meat, produce, dairy shop, into a much healthier family, and the ability to stick a finger up at the food industry.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I completely agree- I'm a marketing professor and have studied the persuasive "techniques", the food companies have used. I always argue with my friends who say "We all have free choice, just don't eat the junk food." While I agree, we do have free choice, most of us don't realize what we're up against. Advertisers are now using sociologists, psychologists, and anthropologists to study human behavior so closely that we are not even aware of most of the techniques that are being used to persuade us. In my opinion, with all the salt, sugar, and even texture, these foods can be highly addictive.

100% agree. Addiction is part of the problem, and the biggest part in my opinion. I quit eating carbs almost 15 months ago for health reasons. Initially the cravings were hell. I wanted bread, potato's rice, chips, fries and going through the carb flu or withdrawal was horrendous. I persisted for my own sake, and finally got to a place where I didn't want those things.

When I go to the grocery store each week, I see the food items I used to buy each week, baked goods, pizza, frozen ready meals, and thanks to research know what is in them. How many people not on MFP who don't think about nutrition know exactly what is in the ready meal, the cereal box? In the UK advertizing high sugar 'unhealthy' foods are prohibited if aimed at children. Why should our innocent children be subject to all of this? Then of course mom is the next target of the advertisers with the 'nag factor'. Our kids see something high in fat, sugar and chemicals made to look amazing and they nag poor tired, rushed, stressed mom. I know I have been there. My children are teenagers now, but taking them as tots shopping would mean either a fractious child because they were told no, or a shopping cart filled with foods that offer little if any nutrition to a growing child.

I truly wish I knew then what I know now. Guilt is something I think I will always feel. My children can have whatever they choose at school, I have no say in that, but I certainly do have a say at home, and nutrition is top of my agenda. My kids have beautiful clear skin, shiny hair, they are slim and growing well. Maybe if I had the knowledge earlier, they could have been even healthier. I guess that is something I will never know, But I am trying very hard to make it right now, :-)
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Brian...which is it? Individual responsibility or the food companies making us victims due to their brainwashing and manufacturing processes?

You stated....

"I know what I need to eat to keep my weight under control and how to exercise to stay healthy. I believe it is each person's responsibility to keep themselves healthy,, eat the right foods, exercise regularly, get regular checkups, etc. That's all about the individual."

"But when obesity rates rise across the population of the US and many parts of the world, I think there are causes that go beyond individual people not taking individual responsibility for their health. And I think understanding those reasons is important. This book gives a pretty compelling explanation."

You seem to be contradicting yourself. If you preach " it is each person's responsibility to keep themselves healthy", then it's no longer a matter of what the food companies do. You can't have it both ways. Even if some of the population finds it difficult or even impossible to stop overeating due to food company practices, THEY still bear responsibility for their lifestyle. If they are compulsive eaters they need to figure out why they are compulsive eaters. There always have been outside influences to human behavior and there always will be. Just because something tastes REALLY GOOD doesn't mean that the maker of the food should be found at fault when people actually eat it.

The foot industry is making it harder for people to maintain a healthy weight. And the more they do the harder they make it. And the harder they make it the more people get fat, and the more expensive is the health care system.

As an individual you can't throw in the towel and say "I give up". People can eat healthy and maintain their weight, it just takes effort. Maybe it takes some of us MORE effort than it should because of the food manipulation. But we can and must do it. You, me, all of us. It's our health, it's our quality of life. Many people in this thread understand this and use it as a reason that we can't hold the food industry responsible.

But that an individual has the responsibility to eat right, does not release the food industry from responsibility for deceptive advertising and practices deliberately designed to try to make people fat. Left to their devices I fear ever more effective methods to alter the properties of food and more and more people getting fatter and fatter as a result. Even if some of us are able to maintain our weight, it is bad for society, bad for health care costs, and not fair to those with limited access to healthier foods.

I don't have the answers - but at least let's get the "heart healthy" logo off of breakfast cereal. Let's stop advertising designed to get kids to eat and drink sugary foods. And let's increase the knowledge of what the food industry is doing to the food so that people know that the reason they can't stop eating a bag of potato chips is because the chips were created with bliss point methods that are going to make it near impossible to stop even if you are full. Maybe then they'll say no to the first one, which may be the only way to avoid eating too many!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I read the first chapter of Salt Sugar Fat a while back and look forward to more of it.
    We can disagree about politics, but a primary role of the government is to represent the public interest. The epidemic of obesity in the US and other first world countries is at least partly (and I would contend significantly) due to an ethically abhorrent manipulation of the food supply by corporate interests that is contrary to the public interest. We as consumers should be demanding changes from food manufacturers and the government should assist in this effort by sponsoring and publicizing solid scientific and medical research. I believe in individual freedom and am not in favor of government mandating a reduction in choices, but it is important for us both as individuals and as a society that we are able to make informed choices.

You'll be happy to know then that "while most people support nutrition guidelines to help Americans make better choices along with the posting of calorie counts on restaurant menus, nearly six in ten of those surveyed opposed unhealthy food taxes and three-quarters of respondents were against government restrictions on what people can purchase."

Obesity survey suggests many Americans don't know fat can cause cancer, infertility
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57562421/obesity-survey-suggests-many-americans-dont-know-fat-can-cause-cancer-infertility/

It would appear though there is a correlation between people that mind being regulated and people that mind staying informed. "60 percent of those who benefit from the home-mortgage interest deduction didn't think they had ever used a government social program. Fifty-three percent of those with student loans didn't think they had used one. Among Social Security beneficiaries, 44 percent thought themselves unsullied by the touch of government, and among Medicare beneficiaries, 39 percent said the same."

The invisible welfare state of the top one percent
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/post/the-invisible-welfare-state-of-the-top-one-percent/2011/08/25/gIQANQRemR_blog.html

Again, ""I don't demand that the government does this for me. I don't feel like I need the government," said a Minnesota resident, who counts on an earned-income tax credit and has signed up his children for free meals at school. How about Social Security? And Medicare? Can he imagine retiring without government help? "I don’t think so," he said. "No. I don’t know. Not the way we expect to live as Americans.""

Even Critics of Safety Net Increasingly Depend on It
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/us/even-critics-of-safety-net-increasingly-depend-on-it.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

Most consumers will not "be demanding changes from food manufacturers". They expect it to be resolved by way of some silver lining, an emotional hope that springs from desperation. These people do not foremost base their outlook on life on "informed choices". And when they acquire knowledge, it may not change their views. That's what motivated reasoning is about. In other words, "rather than search rationally for information that either confirms or disconfirms a particular belief, people actually seek out information that confirms what they already believe."

Motivated reasoning
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivated_reasoning

Such a scenario is likely not what libertarian optimists and others have in mind when they talk about personal responsibility and the nanny state! This by the way ties in with dealing with the food industry in a review of Robert Lustig's Fat Chance.

"Dr. Lustig closes with specific calls to action in the form of new regulation of bad foods. He defends against critics who call this the “Nanny State”, explaining that other public health menaces are restricted and controlled, such as tobacco and alcohol."

Book review of “Fat Chance” by Robert H. Lustig, MD
    http://currentmedicine.tv/2013/other-categories/op-ed/book-review-of-fat-chance-by-robert-h-lustig-md/
  • drcherokee
    Options
    "Even Critics of Safety Net Increasingly Depend on It"

Has our society become ADDICTED to too many safety nets?
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi again Brian,

You stated.....

"But that an individual has the responsibility to eat right, does not release the food industry from responsibility for deceptive advertising and practices deliberately designed to try to make people fat."

Therein lies my main point of contention. You are saying that food companies are trying to make people fat. I say that they simply are trying to make a profit. The fact that some compulsive eaters in society become fat, is simply a by-product. It's NOT a design of the food companies to "make people fat".

Then you said.....

"I don't have the answers - but at least let's get the "heart healthy" logo off of breakfast cereal. Let's stop advertising designed to get kids to eat and drink sugary foods. And let's increase the knowledge of what the food industry is doing to the food so that people know that the reason they can't stop eating a bag of potato chips is because the chips were created with bliss point methods that are going to make it near impossible to stop even if you are full. Maybe then they'll say no to the first one, which may be the only way to avoid eating too many! "

There have been shysters and hucksters that try to sell people things under false pretenses throughout history just to make a buck. Today is no different. We are not going to stop unethical behavior by the food companies...or anyone else. It's part of the rich fabric of life. The old saying that "There is a sucker born every minute." is what gives fodder to those who would sell us a bill of goods. That includes some food companies. But to try and blame them for those in society that aren't smart enough...or don't care enough...to avoid falling for their schemes is not logical. People believe what they WANT to believe...plain and simple.

There is one place where you and I can find common ground though. I agree that we should try to expose the hucksters any way we can so that people can make informed decisions.

Peace.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Every company looking to make a profit "targets" people. Could we correlate that people who are into technology (video games, phones, etc.) are also more prone to being fat/obese?

While the food giants do make foods with added sugar, etc., it's comes down to the responsibility of the individual. If it's kids, then as a parent it's their responsibility to educate them on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thank you for spreading the word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    All too familiar..... the tobacco industry.....