Sushi?

Options
TeachTheGirl
TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
I hate to admit, but I've never had sushi before. I'm actually kind of intimidated by it.

What would people recommend for a sushi virgin? Things to avoid? (I have NO idea what the calorie counts are on this type of food, but I'm contemplating ordering some for dinner and hoping I have room to fit a fair selection in!)

Replies

• HeatherDominik
    Options
    IMO- a good starter is a Cali roll- not really "sushi" because it isn't raw fish. But it would get you used to the texture/style. Salmon is a strong flavor, so is yellowtail, as well as eel... So i wouldn't dive in with those lol. Spicy tuna is really good too.=) Good luck! Get addicted!
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my favorite! I would start with rolls as opposed to sashimi. California rolls and shrimp tempura rolls aren't very scary because crab and shrimp are things you probably eat already. I would try rolls with tuna, salmon, and avocado. When I'm trying to eat fewer carbs, I go for sashimi and miso soup, but I would start with some rolls if you're not used to sushi.
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I never use to like Sushi, I would try it every now and then and always hated it. That is until I found the roll I liked - soft shell crab roll!!!:love: Delish:wink: Its cooked and when dipped in a bit of wasabi and light soy sauce the texture and flavors are amazing. I would stay away from anything raw until you get use to it and beware of those restaurant that add way too much cream cheese or other sauces.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I know it's not fresh fish sushi, but I am absolutely in love with a spicy asparagus roll.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato rolls, tempura rolls, smoked eel, shrimp, smoked salmon, crabstick -- all are cooked

Many find the salmon & tuna as easy starter sushi. Quality can make a difference in taste, so just like with steaks, restaurant quality is different from supermarket.

There are a lot of different types of sushi, just like there are plenty of types of sandwiches, so plenty of options to try!
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for sashimi over sushi since it has no rice. The protein + carb mix on sushi wreaks havoc on my tummy. I try to limit my raw fish intake to about once a month or every 2 months. It's pretty high calorie (which I was surprised to learn), and I worry about toxins in the fish. Actually..... if I was nursing, I would avoid it for the reason of the toxins. But there's lots of great options at a typical Japanese restaurant aside from sushi/sashimi.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you're anywhere near a Wegmans, try their Skinny California Roll. 100 calories for the pack, and a great intro to sushi, especially if you don't love rice (like me).
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try some variety and find out what you like. They certainly have dishes with different samples.
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    I tried sushi a number of times and disliked it each time. I had just been trying a number of different "rolls." Finally, in a last-ditch effort, my husband had me try some nigiri, which is the slice of fish on a pillow of rice that you can then dip into your wasabi/soy mixture. I LOVE that, and determined that I just don't like the flavor/texture of the seaweed wrapper, so if you don't like eating it one way, try another type of preparation. :)
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    If you want to try a variety look for a Rainbow Roll. It's a California roll with sashimi and avocado wrapped around it. It's very colorful and fun and you can try several different flavors. You'll typically get salmon, tuna, snapper, and halibut or other white fish.

Sushi does have a lot of carbs as do the usual sides so plan ahead. As a "sometime food" you can do a lot worse.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Anything tempura with spicy mayo you'll like as a virgin. They're not the healthiest ones out there but they're worth every calorie.

This here is a Volcano Roll
    Volcano-Roll_zps58741c83.jpg

This here is one with spicy mayo
    sushi_zps06d6a1cb.jpg

And this one's just for more ideas!
    assortedsushi_zpsbc9a8aa1.jpg
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Dang - now I want sushi. Those pictures look so good!
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Cr01502 - that was sooo mean. Those looked oh so good. Now I am dying for fancy sushi tonight even if it does put me way over my calorie count.

Beginner rolls: salmon avocado, tuna avocado, california, rainbow, shrimp tempura and spider roll are all good suggestions. Eel has a VERY strong taste and even afterdecades of eating sushi and trying it periodically I do not like it.

If you can find toro (fatty tuna) try it as nigiri (the piece of fish on a bed of rice) - it is not a "fishy" tasting sushi and melts like butter in your mouth. Yum.

Also a fat boy salad is delicious which is basically avacodo and tuna chunks in a bowl or on a plate with just a little soy sauce or sesame dressing dressing.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    California roll for sure.
    I love the stuff
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Be aware that the names of fancy rolls vary by restaurants (though I think california and spider rolls seem to be very consistent). The volcano roll at my local place is nothing like the volcano roll in the picture.
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    As far as "healthy" sushi, I've read to steer clear of "tempura" which means fried, and anything spicy, because the spicy sauce is mayonaise based. They also say one roll with a cup of soup is a great balance.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I prefer sashami, yellowtail, if available.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    and be warned I swear they put something addicting in sushi. YUM Its expensive so I only get it a handful of times a year but man I love some sushi. You got good advice about the california roll. Also it might take a couple tries to see if you really like it. I had it as a teenager and didn't like it until like a year later.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I adore sushi.

I recommend starting with a California roll (as others have mentioned). There's nothing raw in it and it's relatively mild in flavor. I've managed to get several people hooked on sushi, just by having them try a California roll.

Oh the tasty things you can try!!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Anything tempura with spicy mayo you'll like as a virgin. They're not the healthiest ones out there but they're worth every calorie.

This here is a Volcano Roll
    Volcano-Roll_zps58741c83.jpg

This here is one with spicy mayo
    sushi_zps06d6a1cb.jpg

And this one's just for more ideas!
    assortedsushi_zpsbc9a8aa1.jpg

I WOULD KILL FOR A VOLCANO ROLL RIGHT NOW!!!!