Share your HIIT workouts

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know why you guys are fighting about this. There are as many opinions of what HIIT is as there are of what weight lifting routine you should be doing, or how to improve marathon times, or what color the sky is. What YOUR interpretation of HIIT is might be different that someone else.
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    I do my HIIT on the elliptical. 2 minute intervals (1:30 rest light or moderate effort and 30 sec of all out) repeat 14-16 times. Last between 28-32 mins
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a big hill in my backyard. I sprint up it as fast as I can, then walk down. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If your high intensity portion last more than 30 sec, then it's not truly high intensity. Think that a lion or tiger is chasing you and you have to out run it.

I have seen HIIT workouts that have it at 60 seconds hard 120 seconds low...

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/04/high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-best-cardio-to-burn-fat/

check out the link, last paragraph even has elliptical as an example HIIT workout.
    The hard portion should be all out. If someone goes all out for 1 min then they are not really going all out. Not even a world class sprinter can run as hard or as fast as they can for 1 min. The hard portions of HIIT is not just going harder of faster than usual.

From what i have read, you dont go 100% for the 30 seconds or 60 seconds, its just supposed to be intense. At most 85% of your maximum heart rate.

For the record, im not fighting, nor want to argue... just looking for clarity. If im wrong, I would like to know.
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    30 minute HIIT

3 minutes fast warm up walk

30 seconds sprint
    90 second fast walk
    45 second sprint
    90 second fast walk
    1 minute sprint

Repeat until theres 3-5 minutes to cool down.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    HIIT can be any intervals you want, at max intensity.

Tabata HIIT - one of the first people to develop the strategy goes like this:

(using a percieved rate of exertion from 1-10, where 1 is lying on the couch, 10 is red-faced, can't breathe, can't talk, can't go one minute more at that intensity) So for most people a 4-5 would be an easy jog where you can still have a conversation with the guy next to you and a 8-9 would be all-out sprint pace, cannot talk, heart rate is ABOVE target. A 6-7 would be fast, heart at least at top range of target, you can talk, but you don't want to.

For 8 minutes, do 20 seconds at 8-9, 10 seconds at 4-5, repeat 15 times, then do 30 seconds at 8-9, then do 2-3 for 1 minute to recover, and take in water.

Repeat the 9 minute total sequence at least once, and doing 3-4 total 9 minute sequences is a killer, but great exercise. Each sequence, you want to keep the same speeds as in the first sequence, but you should expect to be more tired each one and have your heart rate higher each one as you never give it a chance to fully recover.

The main point of HIIT is to improve your ANAEROBIC system, so heart rate needs to be outside of target. If you use a HRM it is easiest, but can also use rate of perceived exertion like I explained above.

I find this difficult to do on a treadmill unless it is a very nice, expensive gym model that changes speeds quickly. And outside it is difficult to be precise on the timing because you can't safely stare at your watch while running, so I do it on a spin bike.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a new method of HIIT - I use this a lot, and it burns major calories, plus is great for your heart & lungs, but be prepared to be so hungry you would eat a horse after.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If your high intensity portion last more than 30 sec, then it's not truly high intensity. Think that a lion or tiger is chasing you and you have to out run it.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/04/high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-best-cardio-to-burn-fat/

check out the link, last paragraph even has elliptical as an example HIIT workout.
    The hard portion should be all out. If someone goes all out for 1 min then they are not really going all out. Not even a world class sprinter can run as hard or as fast as they can for 1 min. The hard portions of HIIT is not just going harder of faster than usual.

From what i have read, you dont go 100% for the 30 seconds or 60 seconds, its just supposed to be intense. At most 85% of your maximum heart rate.

For the record, im not fighting, nor want to argue... just looking for clarity. If im wrong, I would like to know.
    Here is some good info on HIIT from Layne Norton who is a natural bodybuilder and holds a PhD in Nutritional science.
    http://fit-universe.com/layne-norton-faq-part-i.html
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just started adding in HIIT in place of jogging in hopes to increase my agility for indoor soccer This is what im working with right now:

5 min warm up walk 4mph
    8 one min sprints @ 10mph w/ one min walks in between @ 4mph
    5 min cool down @ 4mph and 4 incline

On my sprints it takes about 20 secs for the treadmill to catch up to 10mph from 4mph so I'm only going all out for 30-40 secs. 10mph is also the highest the treadmill I use goes. Do they make ones that go faster? One mis step @ 10mph and im toast...
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I break mine down into 20 one-minute segments. First 3 are warmup (each progressively faster) then 8 sequences of alternating minutes of fast running and brisk walking, and finally 2 minutes of walking to cool off.

Trying to increase the speed by about 0.1 MPH every other workout as a build up my stamina and health.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    HIIT can be any intervals you want, at max intensity.

Tabata HIIT - one of the first people to develop the strategy goes like this:

(using a percieved rate of exertion from 1-10, where 1 is lying on the couch, 10 is red-faced, can't breathe, can't talk, can't go one minute more at that intensity) So for most people a 4-5 would be an easy jog where you can still have a conversation with the guy next to you and a 8-9 would be all-out sprint pace, cannot talk, heart rate is ABOVE target. A 6-7 would be fast, heart at least at top range of target, you can talk, but you don't want to.

For 8 minutes, do 20 seconds at 8-9, 10 seconds at 4-5, repeat 15 times, then do 30 seconds at 8-9, then do 2-3 for 1 minute to recover, and take in water.

Repeat the 9 minute total sequence at least once, and doing 3-4 total 9 minute sequences is a killer, but great exercise. Each sequence, you want to keep the same speeds as in the first sequence, but you should expect to be more tired each one and have your heart rate higher each one as you never give it a chance to fully recover.

The main point of HIIT is to improve your ANAEROBIC system, so heart rate needs to be outside of target. If you use a HRM it is easiest, but can also use rate of perceived exertion like I explained above.

I find this difficult to do on a treadmill unless it is a very nice, expensive gym model that changes speeds quickly. And outside it is difficult to be precise on the timing because you can't safely stare at your watch while running, so I do it on a spin bike.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a new method of HIIT - I use this a lot, and it burns major calories, plus is great for your heart & lungs, but be prepared to be so hungry you would eat a horse after.

Thanks for this. I used to do Spin classes and I know that that was the workout that got my heart rate the highest by far. I was thinking this might be the way to go. Since spin bikes are pretty expensive, I may need to look into joining a gym...
  • katziz
    katziz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hope it works out for me. I'll have to check out those sites.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I am interested too!
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Running outside

2 minute warm up
    8 sets of 15 second all out sprints followed by 45 second jog at about 9 min/mile.
    20 minute jog at about 9 min/mile
    5 sets of 1 minute all out sprints (as fast as possible) followed by 1 minute jog at about 9 min/mile.
    5 minute + cool down jog at about 9 min/mile.

45 minutes + total.

From here (explains the reasoning) -

http://www.trimmedandtoned.com/a-hiit-workout-routine-to-burn-belly-fat-fast
  • OhLibra
    OhLibra Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Most social networking and fitness related sites are blocked at work, which is why I was requesting specifics. I will check some of these suggestions out at home later.

I have always done some interval training on my treadmill, but I'm not sure if it would qualify as HIIT. When you all say "fast", how fast are we talking? Do you do them on the treadmill? I am afraid to go TOO fast on the treadmill because if I bonk, I could seriously get hurt. I find running on the treadmill any faster than 7.5 MPH to be very hard. Not from a cardio standpoint, but from a "holy crap, I am going to fall off of this thing" standpoint.

I had that fear factor, too...I knew cardio wise I could go fast, but the fear of falling held me back. Now I can sprint at more than 10mph (for a short time, lol!). Here's one of my favorites:

0-5:00 jog at 5mp
    5-6:00 sprint at 8mph
    6-7:00 recover at 5mph
    repeat above sprint/recover two more times
    11-11:45 sprint at 9mph
    11:45-12:45 recover at 5mph
    16:15-16:45 sprint at 10mph
    16:45-17:45 recover at 5mph
    cool down for above five minutes at 3.5-4mph

Obviously adjust your speed to suit your fitness level and fear factor level, haha! Try it out and see if you like it:)
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I do two different versions, both on the elliptical.

90 seconds as hard as I can go, 2 minutes recovery. Resistance is usually 15/8, repeat 6 times.

Or

1 minute at each level from resistance 9-14, until I am on a full out exertion for the last minute, repeat 4 times.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Sprint 40 yards
    Rest 30-60 seconds
    Repeat.

Keep it simple.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options

it's 170% VO2MAX is the standard definition. Or in other words, far beyond what you can possibly hope to maintain for any length of time.

You try and hit that on a elliptical. Not going to happen straight up because there is zero chance you can move an elliptical that hard if you tried.

edit: hell, even treadmill for that matter. most peoples all out 'sprint' is far slower than trained athletes jog. 10mph is marathon cardio pace baby!!! thats a 24second 100m sprint.. Thats in the area of what preschool children can run. By definition of what hiit is, a 24second 100m sprint is NOT going high intensity. Thats a snail pace.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The real key to HIIT workouts is the "intensity" part. You should be duplicating the fight or flight effect so as to push yourself to near-injury, explosive, insane levels of sheer bloodthirsty, frenzied intervals. Most people have no idea how to get themselves into that state and so it "doesn't seem to work for them". For most people HIIT means "I might break a sweat sometimes". In order for it to work you should be utterly drenched in sweat with your heartbeat at about 100% - 1110% of your maximum heart rate (at least). That's what HIIT requires so it isn't as though less intensity won't do "anything" but it won't give you the anticipated effect of getting your metabolism JACKED!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info everyone. I am learning a lot. So here's my next question...

From what I understand, HIIT will help to increase your aerobic endurance, increase your metabolism and provide long term fat burning benefits...correct? For those of you that say you need to go all out over 100% max HR to achieve results, do you think that you see benefits that increase marginally with intensity, or is an all or nothing, you didn't get your HR up high enough so you just wasted your time kind of thing?