Poverty and Poor Nutrition

Options

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    poverty=obesity=doing it right.

sorry, but drain on the system due to medical bills or not, your country is doing something right and you are privaleged to live in a place where the poor are overweight.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think being low on money means you should have poor nutrition. With proper planning and shopping you can eat healthy for cheap.

My grocery bill has actually gone down since I started eating better and all I buy are beans, fruits and vegetables for the most part.

You can eat healthy on a low budget. Shop sales, plan meals around sales, etc. You don't have to resort to fast food just because you don't have a lot of money.

My food bill costs have gone down as well. Fast food is not cheap. It is cheaper to cook from scratch and healthier. Also more people have to pay attention to serving sizes. Buy in bulk and watch serving sizes. It may take more of an effort, but even for those working 3 jobs it is certainly worth the effort and we and our families should be worth the extra effort.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I believe the kind of "poverty" that is being discussed here is a bit different then what you all are talking about. Sure there is "we can't afford Sarah's baby shower gift, so wish her our best, but we will be unable to attend brunch" and clipping coupons to feed the family, and then there is "looks like we can't eat today, but if I can find some change in the couch cushion, we can buy a package of Ramen noodles for $1.

A few months ago...I had to buy a package of Ramen noodles...and five double cheeseburgers from McDonalds...cut them into half, and split the food. For five dollars...I made over ten meals. You just can't do that with fresh produce. Thankfully, I am in a better position now...and while still technically "in poverty", I am eating very healthy. I think the studies are just talking about the extreme situations.

For those extreme situations...it IS hard to eat healthy. Mac and Cheese at Aldi's...35 cents. Ramen noodles...25 cents....cheeseburger....a dollar....

That's the congruency that I see...

A double cheeseburger has 440cals. So 2,200 cals for the burgers and 400ish for the ramen. 10 meals would be 260ish per meal, not many people will be getting obese on that, unless they are eating all 10 meals in a day and still then 2600cals isn't that much depending on bodyweight
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options
    It's also an issue of access. In some areas there just aren't proper grocery stores where you can get fresh produce and healthy foods. And if those type of foods are available in the corner stores, they're much more expensive than the processed foods. It also may be difficult for people to get to the grocery stores because of time or financial constraints, so they just stick with the convenience/fast foods in their area.

agreed...people need to understand that not everyone's lives are the same. So much single-perspective opinions on this site I have noticed...
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options
    I believe the kind of "poverty" that is being discussed here is a bit different then what you all are talking about. Sure there is "we can't afford Sarah's baby shower gift, so wish her our best, but we will be unable to attend brunch" and clipping coupons to feed the family, and then there is "looks like we can't eat today, but if I can find some change in the couch cushion, we can buy a package of Ramen noodles for $1.

A few months ago...I had to buy a package of Ramen noodles...and five double cheeseburgers from McDonalds...cut them into half, and split the food. For five dollars...I made over ten meals. You just can't do that with fresh produce. Thankfully, I am in a better position now...and while still technically "in poverty", I am eating very healthy. I think the studies are just talking about the extreme situations.

For those extreme situations...it IS hard to eat healthy. Mac and Cheese at Aldi's...35 cents. Ramen noodles...25 cents....cheeseburger....a dollar....

A double cheeseburger has 440cals. So 2,200 cals for the burgers and 400ish for the ramen. 10 meals would be 260ish per meal, not many people will be getting obese on that, unless they are eating all 10 meals in a day and still then 2600cals isn't that much depending on bodyweight

Ok this is true....but an unstable income might mean starvation one day...then completely binging the next, could it not?

Unstable eating habits...and the sodium content alone could really negatively affect one's weight.
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options
    And then you have people like me.....who have a wheat intolerance. Sometimes I am forced to eat wheat otherwise I would starve....my body doesn't process it correctly and I gain weight like crazy.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Poverty is not an excuse for poor nutrition. Poor nutrition is about lack of education &/or personal choices.

I've been very poor and managed to eat perfectly clean 100% of the time. There are inexpensive healthy choices.
  • cincigina
    cincigina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think being low on money means you should have poor nutrition. With proper planning and shopping you can eat healthy for cheap.

My grocery bill has actually gone down since I started eating better and all I buy are beans, fruits and vegetables for the most part.

You can eat healthy on a low budget. Shop sales, plan meals around sales, etc. You don't have to resort to fast food just because you don't have a lot of money.

My food bill costs have gone down as well. Fast food is not cheap. It is cheaper to cook from scratch and healthier. Also more people have to pay attention to serving sizes. Buy in bulk and watch serving sizes. It may take more of an effort, but even for those working 3 jobs it is certainly worth the effort and we and our families should be worth the extra effort.

This was what I was trying to say..but you said it better. And with less rambling
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

But it's so much easier to just call people lazy.

People who have never been there don't realize that people choose to feed their families Ramen (12 packages for $1 in my area) because they can't afford the $1.50 head of lettuce because it won't go as far. In rural areas (I am in West Virginia) there aren't a lot of fresh veggies to choose from and what is available is expensive compared to the cheap frozen or packaged options. $3 will buy you three frozen dinners or one head of cabbage. It is expensive to feed my three person family healthy food. It's not like these are people living off the government either. These are people who work for a living, but the cost of living has gone up while their income hasn't and they are making the tough choices.
  • Acg67
    Options

Ok this is true....but an unstable income might mean starvation one day...then completely binging the next, could it not?

Unstable eating habits...and the sodium content alone could really negatively affect one's weight.

Sodium doesn't make you fat, but can increase weight if you're holding onto more water.

It certainly could, it would depend on how the starvation and binge days avg out to see if you'd actually eat enough on the binge days to overcome the starvation days that you'd become obese
  • KathrynNicole86
    Options
    There are so many variables in these situations. It's completely ignorant for people to say "poverty is NO excuse". You're seriously saying...that EVERY. SINGLE. poor person in the world should be able to eat healthy?

You have no idea what every little aspect of every single impoverished person's life is like. Open your minds people...just a little.

Geesh. I think I'm done with this topic....too many "I am right because I'm right" going on for my tastes. We are put on this earth to expand eachother's minds just a little. Not the opposite.

I agree that most people living in poverty could eat in a healthy manner, however, we must acknowledge that there ARE situations where it just might be out of that person's control.

Enjoy the rest of your discussion...have a great weekend to all!
  • cincigina
    cincigina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables in these situations. It's completely ignorant for people to say "poverty is NO excuse". You're seriously saying...that EVERY. SINGLE. poor person in the world should be able to eat healthy?

You have no idea what every little aspect of every single impoverished person's life is like. Open your minds people...just a little.

Geesh. I think I'm done with this topic....too many "I am right because I'm right" going on for my tastes. We are put on this earth to expand eachother's minds just a little. Not the opposite.

I agree that most people living in poverty could eat in a healthy manner, however, we must acknowledge that there ARE situations where it just might be out of that person's control.

You've made several great points. I think everyone makes comments based on their own experiences. That is what defines their perspective. I've actually appreciated this topic. Several people have made points I didn't even think of initially (because I was commenting based on my experiences). It is helpful to see other people's perspectives, simply to expand your horizons and see the world through other people's eyes. Thanks for your comments and enjoy your weekend as well.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I was dead broke and had no job after Katrina I didn't gain weight. (I gained weight because I ate to much junk after I could afford food) I think you can eat boxed mac and cheese for cheap or you can eat veggies for the same price. I think we have to explore the social issues here instead of the economic ones.The poor are less educated and less motivated in many instances.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When it comes to grocery shopping I have to write a list. Once my list is complete I hightlight the most important items that I can't do without. Normally those highlighted items are ingredients that can be used to make a wide range of meals. When I get to the store it's all about the best price, not always the lowest, and sales sales sales.I might have chicken on my list but if pork is on sale for 99 cents a pound I'll buy the pork instead of the chicken. I also normally shop at Aldi's which tends to have food a lot cheaper than other places. If I have any money left over out of my grocery shopping budget I move on to the un-highlighted items. I end up getting a lot of nutritious ingredients that can be cooked into many different items and less, if any, of the pre-made items. That normally means I spend a good couple of hours in my kitchen on Sundays cooking/baking various things for the week but it's much easier on my budget to make everything from scratch then to buy things pre-made.

I do the prioritized list thing too. I also try to add everything up as I put it in the cart, but I generally end up making two rounds of the grocery store - one to get the things on my list and then one to put back the items I don't absolutely have to have in order to get my total where it needs to be. I also can't eat as many fruits/vegetables as I'd like and it makes me sad. Losing weight was easy when we had money because I could could have fruit for breakfast, salads for lunch, and veggies with my dinner. I was full and happy and satisfied. This time it's considerably more difficult.

And, Acg67, I don't understand why you're trying to argue this. There are numerous studies that show a correlation between poverty and poor nutrition and/or obesity. It isn't an opinion. It simply IS.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    poverty=obesity=doing it right.

sorry, but drain on the system due to medical bills or not, your country is doing something right and you are privaleged to live in a place where the poor are overweight.

Yes, what a privilege heart disease & diabetes is! Malnourished & overfed is awesome!

Ignorant.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I personally think it boils down to people who cook..and those who rely on processed stuff. There have been several times where I lost my job..but our eating didnt change since I know how to cook.

My 2 oldest daughters dont live with me.. My 2nd oldest moved out about 4 months ago..I saw her the other day..and noticed she put on about 15 pounds..Neither her sister or herself cook..its all about eating foods I wouldnt allow on a daily basis...And yes..they dont earn what we do as parents in our 40s..

Its all about wise choices...and if people dont research...they dont know what to do with whole wheat flour and lentils..(dhal and roti for me since I am South Asian..)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have been on both sides of that coin. I was once a struggling single mom of two living at poverty level. We ate healthy. I clipped coupons and we ate a lot of homemade soup, pasta, peanut butter (LOTS of peanut butter), apples (always cheap in my area). Fish was canned tuna or frozen pollock. Cheap cuts of meat, lots of beans and frozen vegetables. Store bought desserts and fast food were treats because we couldn't afford them on a regular basis. Real restaurants were only for birthdays. Pizzas were homemade because we couldn't afford frozen or delivery.

Now, the kids are grown and gone, My husband and I both have well paying jobs. We still eat healthy We eat out more and order pizza out more, but most meals are still at home. We pretty much eat whatever we want now.
  • EmilyKingston
    EmilyKingston Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Kathryn, your points are quite important. This particular study focused on people who are considered "food insecure," meaning they are not always sure where their next meal is coming from. Please, guys, remember to be polite when you post. Not every person dealing with poverty is obese, stupid, lazy, or trying to scrounge from the government. Please be respectful and considerate or else this thread is going to get locked out by a moderator. No fun.

I love the point one of you made about the Great Depression. We certainly didn't see as much obesity during that time, for sure! So that is a very thoughtful thing to bring up. I think as it relates to this study, the difference between then and now would be that there were not as many highly-processed (high sugar, high fat) foods available back then. For example, if generic cheese puffs were available back then, perhaps folks might have tended towards obesity? I have no idea. Interesting to think about.

Personally, I've found that it costs me more to eat healthy- as opposed to my previous "Whatever Diet-" but that could just be me. I've been trying to buy more fresh fruits and veggies, and higher-quality meat and seafood.

I highly recommend having a look at this study and seeing what they found about how poverty relates to poor nutrition. It is quite interesting, I promise, albeit a big lengthy. Go here: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/1/6.full#sec-8
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

OP was asking about our experience, not talking about those starving in other countries. I stand by my comments 100%.
  • Acg67
    Options
    When it comes to grocery shopping I have to write a list. Once my list is complete I hightlight the most important items that I can't do without. Normally those highlighted items are ingredients that can be used to make a wide range of meals. When I get to the store it's all about the best price, not always the lowest, and sales sales sales.I might have chicken on my list but if pork is on sale for 99 cents a pound I'll buy the pork instead of the chicken. I also normally shop at Aldi's which tends to have food a lot cheaper than other places. If I have any money left over out of my grocery shopping budget I move on to the un-highlighted items. I end up getting a lot of nutritious ingredients that can be cooked into many different items and less, if any, of the pre-made items. That normally means I spend a good couple of hours in my kitchen on Sundays cooking/baking various things for the week but it's much easier on my budget to make everything from scratch then to buy things pre-made.

I do the prioritized list thing too. I also try to add everything up as I put it in the cart, but I generally end up making two rounds of the grocery store - one to get the things on my list and then one to put back the items I don't absolutely have to have in order to get my total where it needs to be. I also can't eat as many fruits/vegetables as I'd like and it makes me sad. Losing weight was easy when we had money because I could could have fruit for breakfast, salads for lunch, and veggies with my dinner. I was full and happy and satisfied. This time it's considerably more difficult.

And, Acg67, I don't understand why you're trying to argue this. There are numerous studies that show a correlation between poverty and poor nutrition and/or obesity. It isn't an opinion. It simply IS.

Phew a correlation? That answers it then, case closed

Same with global warming

w1467103173.jpg