Need help kicking the fat girl mentality

Options
2»

Replies

• gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...I get compliments on how far I've come and I catch myself saying...oh I'm not even close to where I should be or dismissing the compliment instead of enjoying it...
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    thanks again for all the feedback guys - and friend requests. support definitely helps here.

i've been thinking more and have found myself slipping a little again over the past week and was thinking that maybe part of my problem is now i see 200 (well 199) as my end point.

I'm debating resetting my ticker and having my starting pt being 200lbs instead of 220 - hoping that'll help me see this as part of the race instead of like i just crossed the finish line - any thoughts?
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon."
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    fair enough. i'm just trying to change my mentality and think that might help. i'm wondering if i could go back and see all the progress if i did change it....
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    thanks again for all the feedback guys - and friend requests. support definitely helps here.

i've been thinking more and have found myself slipping a little again over the past week and was thinking that maybe part of my problem is now i see 200 (well 199) as my end point.

I'm debating resetting my ticker and having my starting pt being 200lbs instead of 220 - hoping that'll help me see this as part of the race instead of like i just crossed the finish line - any thoughts?

this could work pretty well. also signing up for some kind of event a fun 5k, a sport you enjoy, or a competitive event to train for could also help your mind set to focus on your training, less on the weight loss. even when you're not losing, you're improving
    in your form, strength, endurance, or performance in some way. It might also be helpful to take stock of your performance and fitness level then and now. that does help me.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    rent or buy "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" such an inspiration!!!! easy to do too!!!!

^^ This and Hungry for Change, Food Matters, Forks over knives, America the Beautiful: the skinny commandments (<-- focuses more on positive thinking), Vegucated (<-- meat ethics), and Engine 2 kitchen rescue. These are all great motivational/inspirational documentaries that I love :happy:

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing these, I'm struggling at the moment and found them very interesting!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    First of all you are not fat.....you HAVE fat. It does not define you....You also have a user name that puts yourself down. Try to think about how much you deserve to be in the 1's. You are so worth it. When you have been big for a long time it is hard not to let that define you ( I know this from experience).

Tell yourself....why NOT you? Dont let the number on the scale define you or scare you. You are Beautiful. Try putting the scale away for a while and just keep taking care of yourself in a good way and you may just be surprised when you pull it out again and its in the 1's that you like what you see and feel.

Good luck to you....i know that losing weight and changing your life is a huge mental game. YOU ARE WORTH IT !!
  • jennie5693
    jennie5693 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Throwing out my clothes as they get too big has always helped me not go back up in size and accept the new my :)
  • Cookie_4
    Cookie_4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting and commenting everyone! I've also been struggling with a similar problem where I'd lose a certain amount of weight and instead of being happy for myself, I would gain all the weight back. I don't like being overweight yet somehow it was safe and comforting and miserable all at the same time, but it was what I knew. I've always been the chubby one so I know how to be that, but being a thinner "more attractive" person is new and awkward for me. Like others, I was afraid of change and afraid to lose the part of me that I do like (my nice, friendly, bubbly personality :blushing: ).

What I've realized is that even if I lose 50 pounds, I can still be who I want to be except in a healthier body! Just because I've always been the "thicker girl with a great personality" doesn't mean I have to continue that role if I don't want to. Neither do you! I'd say enjoy the cat calls and take the compliments... You look good! :glasses:
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Free your mind, your *kitten* will follow.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    don't use the labels fat or thin, use healthy or not healthy, then choose healthy

Nicely put!
  • NotorDJP
    Options
    I have totally been where you are. I went from 242 to 174 about 6 years ago. I'm back at 203 again and I feel defeated. I had a lot of stuff happen in those 6 years, but it still happened. I did it to myself, nobody made me eat that food. but when I get under 200 I almost "relax" like, well at least I'm not 200 lbs. This is where its got me.

In your case, I see that too. I'm not a skinny girl am I? I don't want to be one, actually, just healthy and as fit as I can be. Hang in there.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I keep hitting this mental block when i get right under 200 lbs. Somehow i can go from 225 to 200 without even thinking about it really - i mean i put in effort, lots of it but it doesn't really phase me.

As soon as i start seeing things starting with a "1" i freak out a little and feel like that's not "me"

Watching biggest loser for the first time this year made me realize a lot of weight loss is mental and it keeps irking me that i get stuck here. It happened last November and then i gained it all back. I started again in January and am at 198 now but feel that shadow coming in saying - "Julie you are a fat girl and do not belong under 200 lbs"

any ideas on how to get past it? things to read/watch?

You might be trying to stay "safe" in life. The idea of a thin or normal weight might be scary. Maybe deep down inside on an emotional level you feel that if you are a healthy weight, you will look better and more expectations will be piled on you and maybe you won't be able to meet them.

There is no safety in life. Live well today and break out of your shell. We're a long time dead and life is short, so find a reason to embrace it now. Buy some positive thinking or motivational tapes. Find a way to laugh at yourself. Join a dance class that makes you smile, anything to counter that buried fear.

This video (true story) always lifts my spirits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • Jaminjo2
    Jaminjo2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use these boards for support and lots of good advice. I thank you for the topic. You can see that many have the same issues. I need to figure out a way not to weigh myself everyday. I could easily get rid of my scale at home but I work in a hospital setting and there are scales every where I turn. I am not too hung up on the number yet, but I'm also above 200. My freaky number seems to be 208. Why 8, I don't know.

There were a lot of good ideas in this board, I will muddle over some of them and see what I come up with. Thank you everyone.