Exercise? No Problem! Limit my food intake? HELP!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I eat like this too... Way past full, no matter what I'm eating. So, I've been looking into Geneen Roth, who advocates looking into the reasons why you're an emotional eater (I definitely am, and you may be too, if you're consistently eating too much), and learning to eat mindfully. I'm not sure what my calories have been doing since then, but I feel like I'm accomplishing something when I can finish a meal without feeling stuffed, or even *gasp*, have food left over. :) Today I attempted to track my calories, and I was a little over, but I feel ok about it. One day at a time, I guess. lol

Edit: I just saw what you wrote re: ordering in because you're too tired to cook when you get home. Sometimes you just have to do that, so maybe when you order something, before you even start eating, just take half (or even more if it's huge) and put it in the fridge so you can eat it tomorrow. Then, as soon as you're done with the portion you decided on, brush your teeth - RIGHT AWAY.

Anyway, good luck, and feel free to add me if you like. :)

Yeah I am working on being a glutton (one of my many topics in therapy :embarassed: ). But I like the eat half idea I just have to gain the will power to stop lol

I know, right?! That's why it helps to split it before you get in the eating momentum, and put it in the fridge - I like hot food flaming hot, so if it's in the fridge already getting cold, I'm much less likely to go pick at it. If you're not worried about money, it would probably work better to throw it away, but I just can't do that yet.
  • Hoosier_Kat
    Hoosier_Kat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @Hoosier_Kat I didn't think of that. I was actually always worried about making to big of portions lol thanks for the advise

A trick I've found is to freeze portions in a muffin tin. (I have a silicon one that works really well, but a regular metal one will work as well.) A standard sized muffin tin is a little under half a cup. If you heap it you have about 1/2 cup serving. If you fill just above half you have 1/4 cup serving. Two tins is approximately 1 cup. Just fill the tin and put it in the freezer overnight to freeze completely. Then you can pop out the food once it's frozen and put the individual servings in a Ziploc bag or other container and take out the appropriate amount as needed. I've found this works well for a lot of thing: soup, pork or chicken bbq, taco and enchilada filling, beans and rice, etc. You can even do this with mini lasagna. You can make them in the tin and bake them off. Once they are cool, pop the tin in the freezer like you normally would and once frozen pop in your baggie or storage container. Then all you have to do is pop your serving in the microwave to reheat. Just make a thing or two up when you have a day off, and little by little you'll build up a supply of quick meals in your freezer that are ready to go and pre-portioned when you get home after a long day. I've also found that the good home cooked food with real ingredients tends to be much more filling with fewer calories than the fast food or prepacked dinners. Not to mention they're cheaper and have far less sodium.
  • kbyates215
    Options
    @Hoosier_Kat I didn't think of that. I was actually always worried about making to big of portions lol thanks for the advise

A trick I've found is to freeze portions in a muffin tin. (I have a silicon one that works really well, but a regular metal one will work as well.) A standard sized muffin tin is a little under half a cup. If you heap it you have about 1/2 cup serving. If you fill just above half you have 1/4 cup serving. Two tins is approximately 1 cup. Just fill the tin and put it in the freezer overnight to freeze completely. Then you can pop out the food once it's frozen and put the individual servings in a Ziploc bag or other container and take out the appropriate amount as needed. I've found this works well for a lot of thing: soup, pork or chicken bbq, taco and enchilada filling, beans and rice, etc. You can even do this with mini lasagna. You can make them in the tin and bake them off. Once they are cool, pop the tin in the freezer like you normally would and once frozen pop in your baggie or storage container. Then all you have to do is pop your serving in the microwave to reheat. Just make a thing or two up when you have a day off, and little by little you'll build up a supply of quick meals in your freezer that are ready to go and pre-portioned when you get home after a long day. I've also found that the good home cooked food with real ingredients tends to be much more filling with fewer calories than the fast food or prepacked dinners. Not to mention they're cheaper and have far less sodium.

Wait I am confused are you cooking the food then saving it, or are you prepping it freezing it then cooking it?
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've managed to stop stuffing entirely by convincing myself that my fork is NOT a shovel. Taking big bites was making me bloated and stuffed! I concentrated on eating slowly and now within a week I can stop when I feel full. :)
  • mermaidtongue
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. TBH it usually gets worse during the school year when I'm more distracted/ trying to use food to distract myself from my studies.

I've noticed that once I eat anything with *refined* sugars, I am much more likely to crave more things with refined sugars throughout the day. A little is usually fine but I know that if I avoid sweet things I will not crave them as much (not counting fruit, love fruit!).

One thing that has helped me is taking really small bites (don't fill your mouth completely with food and chew completely before swallowing... gets easier over time) because they force you to SLOW DOWN the eating and you'll realize you're getting full on much less food.

Best of luck! I am currently right there with you trying to re-boot my eating habits. :) Feel free to message me if you need support etc. because talking to people w/similar problems really does help me think through my own ;)
  • Hoosier_Kat
    Hoosier_Kat Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Wait I am confused are you cooking the food then saving it, or are you prepping it freezing it then cooking it?

Depends on what you're making and what you want to do. If you only have time to prep it and freeze it raw to cook later,you can do that (kind of like those ready to cook meals in the freezer section where you just dump the bag in the skillet and heat). Most of the time, I just do it when I'm cooking something I can make in a larger batch. Like If I'm making filling for chicken enchiladas, I'll make a really big batch. After I've finished cooking it, I put what I'm going to serve that meal in a dish and scoop the rest into the muffin tins and stick them in the freezer. Out of sight out of mind kind of thing. I do the same thing when I make soup. I make a huge pot, dish out a couple of bowls, then automatically freeze the rest. Makes it so I can have quick meals ready to nuke (kind of like a prepackaged food), and the leftover food isn't sitting out where I can see it and mindlessly grab it. I can be a mindless eater and just grab whatever I see when I'm hungry. My brain takes a minute to figure out the rest of what I made is in the freezer which gives me time to combat that mindless grab and remind myself that the food is for later and already cold. Then I can go about grabbing something like fruit or yogurt instead. It's a bit like forced mindfulness.
  • mdorsett221
    mdorsett221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I spend either Sat. or Sun. afternoon cooking for the week. I bake a bunch of chicken/fish, etc. and portion it out into tupperware. I add a large portion of vegetables to each one to make sure it fills me up. I put 1 snack serving of nuts into 5 little baggies and those are my afternoon snacks. I only bring the portions I set out for myself to work. In your case, school. This helps me a lot. If I don't bring extra food, I don't eat it. In between meals/snacks, if I feel hungry, I drink coffee or tea. Womens' bodies don't process flour/sugar very well so I cut out bread, pasta and anything that contains refined sugar or corn syrup. Oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa and sweet potatoes are still ok for carbs, but mostly, I stick to protein, vegetables and fruit. I hope this helps. Feel free to add me if you want.