pizza, fries, burgers

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    When I crave pizza, I have pizza. When I crave a burger, I have a burger. I simply adjust my other meals such that I hit my calorie totals for the day.

What is your calorie deficit? Perhaps you are trying to eat at too much of a deficit and that is causing these cravings that you aren't able to accommodate. If you are consistently hungry/craving something, reevaluate.

ETA: I also spent all of 2012 mostly *not* eating any pizza...or burgers (on buns at least). Once I stopped eating these foods entirely, I stopped craving them so much. Sure, this approach doesn't work for everyone, but all-or-nothing does work for some. I've just come to the conclusion that a IIFYM approach works slightly better with my current approach. I suspect I'll take another run at paleo/clean/JERF in the future, ideally coinciding with the local harvest season.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant (can you say *cravings*?), I found that the best way to prevent cravings was to eat foods high in nutrients. For a month or so I had a real issue with supper. Anything I ate (even just a piece of fruit) would give me horrid heart burn 2 hours later when I went to bed (I never have heartburn otherwise). So I came up with a compromise. I juiced a bunch of veggies and drank 8 ounces of that veggie juice for supper (I froze the rest to make the effort worth while and save time later). I did that about every other day. On the off days, I would pour a glass of fruit juice and dump a scoop of wheat grass into it. Drink that, and cravings disappeared instantly. I got lots of nutrients while keeping calories low (I had been eating 2 meals a day before I got pregnant, and early on in my pregnancy (this was early in the second trimester) I still didn't need enough calories extra to justify another meal. So this really did it for me. I also found my nails didn't soften as much as they did the previous two pregnancies.

The moral is, if you are craving junk, try eating even healthier and see if the cravings don't go away. I craved pizza during my first trimester (when I had morning sickness) so I would sometimes get a slice of veggie pizza, but now I don't feel the need for it at all. I'll take a green smoothie over a pizza any day!
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've given up nothing that I love for the sake of "dieting."

I will not be able to avoid pizza, fries and cake for my whole life, so why am I going to try? Eat a slice of pizza, or even a whole pizza. Grab some fries. There are a TON of "solutions" and ways to doctor up these foods to make them ~healthy, but that usually doesn't kill the craving for the real deal. Denying yourself is what usually leads to binging. It's better to realize you can still eat "normal" and be able to lose weight. Make sure you can fit it into your totals, and you'll be just fine.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up any particular food entirely. That sounds miserable.

Hell, every Friday (today included) a coworker and I get a 1/3lb peanut butter pickle bacon burger and fries for lunch. I look forward to it every week and it hasn't derailed anything.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I could totally eat a whole pizza right now.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So bread, cheese, veggies (potatoes and pizza toppings), and meat are so bad for you? It's a sad day when this is implied.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    It can all fit in. If there is something that I want, I just work it into my day. Tonight I want desert, so it did take some planning the rest of my meals to make sure that I hit my macros in the calories I had left. But, it was not big deal, and I didn't starve the rest of the day. Sunday I'm planning on a 13 mile hike, and there will be Burgerville afterwards (burger, fries, and a chocolate shake). It's going to be fabulous - the hike and dinner!
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Want pizza? So have a toasted whole wheat or multigrain flatbread pizza with a pesto base, and an abudance of veggies. Add a sprinkle of low fat cheese on top and enjoy!

Want a burger and fries? Grill up a portobella mushroom cap or your own black bean patty and build your burger on a whole wheat bun with whatever veggies you'd like. Make some baked sweet potato fries with a chipotle-honey sauce to have on the side. Go all-out and even treat yourself to a tasty high-protein milkshake using almond milk, ice, 1 banana, and 1 scoop of chocolate or vanilla protein powder.

You don't have to deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, just come up with healthy alternatives - that way you can satisfy your craving without guilt-tripping yourself!
    ^This.

I also recommend boca burgers as a low calorie burger alternative.If you (like me) don't like sweet potatoes, Lay's Light chips are a low calorie alternative (75 calories for one oz)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you put enough tomato sauce on the base you don't need cheese on a pizza at all

Unless you like cheese.

This would be an epic fail for me.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    So bread, cheese, veggies (potatoes and pizza toppings), and meat are so bad for you? It's a sad day when this is implied.

+1

I've gone down from size 20 to size 5/6 by having pasta, pizza, potatoes, and other "evil" foods nearly everyday.

Tonight's dinner is spagetti with cheese...and I've lost 2 pounds this past couple of weeks.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    you lost 5" in 5 days? how?

I was waiting for somebody to catch that, too...
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I gave up NOTHING. Just ate smaller quantities of the 'bad stuff' and ate it less frequently.
    A couple of donuts a week won't hurt anything as long as you make up for it later -- like only a salad for dinner.
    Pizza, burgers, and fries are OK as long as you don't eat the whole pizza yourself or have a triple cheeseburger with bacon and chili-cheese fries every night.
    As others have testified -- don't deprive yourself, just have a smaller portion. If you completely eliminate the calorie-dense foods, you're more likely to finally give in, and consume waaaaaaaaaaaay too much of it.

yes agree. if you have pizza once a week and have a slice or two when you have it, and have a burger with fries once a week then really it's fine. just make sure to have more water with it since it will have a lot of sodium so you don't retain any water weight. if you eat that every meal in large quantities then it's a problem. if it fits in your day then go for it! specially if it is that time of the month, never deprive those cravings! it can end deadly!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    When I crave pizza, I have pizza. When I crave a burger, I have a burger. I simply adjust my other meals such that I hit my calorie totals for the day.

Listen to this guy, he knows what's up. He eats Chipotle EVERY SINGLE DAY.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

+1

I've gone down from size 20 to size 5/6 by having pasta, pizza, potatoes, and other "evil" foods nearly everyday.

Tonight's dinner is spagetti with cheese...and I've lost 2 pounds this past couple of weeks.

right. if you take the ingredients apart they really arent that bad. it just depends how its prepared and how much you eat. you can eat all clean foods but if you eat too many then you can gain weight too. pizza is just bread tomatos cheese and veggies/meat. stuff that you can eat daily even
  • kahdxoom
    kahdxoom Posts: 129
    Options
    Want pizza? So have a toasted whole wheat or multigrain flatbread pizza with a pesto base, and an abudance of veggies. Add a sprinkle of low fat cheese on top and enjoy!

Want a burger and fries? Grill up a portobella mushroom cap or your own black bean patty and build your burger on a whole wheat bun with whatever veggies you'd like. Make some baked sweet potato fries with a chipotle-honey sauce to have on the side. Go all-out and even treat yourself to a tasty high-protein milkshake using almond milk, ice, 1 banana, and 1 scoop of chocolate or vanilla protein powder.

You don't have to deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, just come up with healthy alternatives - that way you can satisfy your craving without guilt-tripping yourself!

Awesome advice!
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, just no.
    It's a good idea in theory, but none of this is even CLOSE to the real thing and so will never fill that greasy void.

Eat what you like, just don't do it often and don't eat the whole damn pizza.
    I try sticking to the kids size portions and just make sure I don't overindulge for the rest of the day... Even week, if I want double cheese ;)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Whilst controversial, cheat meals are a good way of dealing with cravings until you get them under control and start replacing them with healthier alternatives. To my mind there is no single answer, but a combination of several things mentioned above. It's whatever works for you. The vital thing to remember is that the food won't go away, it is how you react to it in the choices that you make for yourself that matter.
  • tamrod2
    tamrod2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Life it too short to eat cardboard..go for the good stuff but log log log oh yea and move move move:drinker:
  • krwilson05
    krwilson05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've given up nothing that I love for the sake of "dieting."

I will not be able to avoid pizza, fries and cake for my whole life, so why am I going to try? Eat a slice of pizza, or even a whole pizza. Grab some fries. There are a TON of "solutions" and ways to doctor up these foods to make them ~healthy, but that usually doesn't kill the craving for the real deal. Denying yourself is what usually leads to binging. It's better to realize you can still eat "normal" and be able to lose weight. Make sure you can fit it into your totals, and you'll be just fine.
    EXACTLY!!!! I eat everything just not all on the same day and in the same amounts as I did before!