exercise with toddlers

Options
Hi there,
Any parents out there have suggestions on how to exercise with little ones around? My husband is away for work a minimum of three days each week and it makes it difficult to find "me" time when I'm responsible for our kids (age 16 months and 3). I don't have a jogging stroller. I don't have a gym membership.

What's working for you?

Thanks.

Replies

• gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Curious to see replies too!
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have the same problem with my 9 month old. I usually work out when shes sleeping or i make sure shes fed and changed and let her play with her toys while i do workout videos. Sure she climbs on me and tries to crawl through me but i like to think thats her way of making my workouts more difficult and effective lol
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If the weather is nice take them to the park. I burn most of my exercise calories walking plus its a cheap day out and hopefully will also tire them out.
  • mrsartis1
    mrsartis1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Any parents out there have suggestions on how to exercise with little ones around? My husband is away for work a minimum of three days each week and it makes it difficult to find "me" time when I'm responsible for our kids (age 16 months and 3). I don't have a jogging stroller. I don't have a gym membership.

What's working for you?

Thanks.

HI there, I do have a toddler of my own and does stroller walking somewhere around the neighborhood atleast 30 mins. I have a copy of 30DS, zumba and other stuff so when my LO naps, I work on it. sometimes he does not take naps so I just play it and we both do it together, yeah he does bother me every now and then but hey some minutes is better than 0 right?
  • mestop1
    mestop1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Best bet would be to get a jogging stroller. You can probably find a cheap one at a garge sale or second hand store.

Otherwise, snack time and nap time work.

Best of luck.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Are they on the same nap schedule? I only have one but I used to workout when she was napping. I would do an exercise video in my basement. Also, I walk a lot so on the nights when I was home alone with her I would take a "walk" in my driveway after she had gone to bed while holding the monitor. I probably looked crazy to my neighbors just pacing back and forth up and down my driveway, but it worked for me!
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i have that issue when my grandkids are over. They aren't quite as young since they are 5 1/2 and 2 1/2. I have a couple of exercise tapes at hope for walking and what not, so I put it on the easier ones and they exercise with me. Especially my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter. If there are weghts involved, I pick her up and modify the exercise. That way I get to workout and everyone has a blast. Besides, she's much heavier then the weights:smile:
  • Angeleyes_simone
    Options
    You can do it while they are taking their nap or have them "workout" with you. My two year old son likes to jump around and do pushups with me when i workout and its super cute
  • jessicajoybanta87
    jessicajoybanta87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have 4 all 6 and under. Do it when they go to bed or get up before they do or at nap time. I have heard people say "have them exercise with you" but I would probably end up accidently kicking one in the face.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Dance! Kids dancing games on the wii/xbox. Youtube 'the wiggles' & get up and dance with the kids. Fun music on the stereo.
  • jcgutierrez
    jcgutierrez Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have three babies, 4,3, and 7 month old. I lost 54 pounds before getting pregnant with my smallest just by doing zumba dvds at home. I would do them at night after the boys( my older two) had gone to sleep. I usually am going to sleep at 12 midnight but it is all worth it!
  • bulkbrah89
    bulkbrah89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to exercise with toddlers? yes, yes it is. The human baby is naturally dumbbell shaped and can be easily maneuvered to perform curls,overhead press,bench and even rowing movements, obviously as your strength increases more babies will be needed, but a baby is a perfect tool for a fitness novice.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I excercise when my kid is asleep. I'm also enrolled in a parent participation ballet class with my 3 yearold. And I have some yoga and ballet dvds for children we do together.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Do you have a regular stroller? You can at least walk with a regular stroller. And you can usually find jogging strollers fairly cheap on Craigslist. that's where I got mine.

Otherwise, exercise videos, strength routines I find online. Go to the gym when I don't have to watch the kiddo.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Kids loved to be picked up and tossed around, they could make excellent devices for a fun strength training routine!! Also, take them to the park - play like a kid.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise when my 12 month old is having a daytime nap. My 3 year old mostly understands that Mummy needs half hour to work out to 30DS or something similar (which I play on the computer) and usually she'll sit and watch the telly or play. Now I've been doing it for a while I hear less of 'I need the toilet', 'I need a drink', 'turn the tv over I don't want to watch this' as she's learn't that she can occupy herself for just that little while and I exercise in the front room so I'm still with her.

I do sometimes exercise when the baby is up but obviously he doesn't understand that I'm lying on the floor and don't want to play with him and he can make it very challenging lol
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    my kids (2 and 3) love when I zumba and doing jumping jacks, they will even "exercise" with me.
  • auncangco1
    Options
    Is it possible to exercise with toddlers? yes, yes it is. The human baby is naturally dumbbell shaped and can be easily maneuvered to perform curls,overhead press,bench and even rowing movements, obviously as your strength increases more babies will be needed, but a baby is a perfect tool for a fitness novice.

:laugh: Ha! This made me laugh. There will be no additional babies for me!

I should probably clarify. I'm a working mom with a full time job so i get home from pickup up the kids around 5:30-6. They don't go to bed until 9. There are no evening naps. I may have to suck it up and do a video after they go to sleep or before they get up. Sidenote: I am absolutely NOT a morning person and the thought of waking up any earlier makes my eyes twitchy! My preferred method of exercise is running or going to a boxing class, but neither of those is in option right now. Thanks for the tips guys. I will definitely try the walks in the regular stroller and the dancing games. At least they'd get a kick out of it. I'm not sure how kindly they'd take to me bench pressing them, but it's worth a shot :wink:
  • auncangco1
    Options
    P.S. I decided to do a google search and came up with this! I thought some of you might like to use it too.

http://goworkoutmom.com/2007/10/playtime-workout-for-moms-and-toddlers/
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Swing your kid like a kettleball. Lift them up, over your head, then down between your legs.

Give them airplane rides over your head.

Lay on your back back with knees bent. Have a toddler stand near your feet. Grab the toddler's hands and pull your knees into your chest until you can place your feet on the toddler's hips. Lift your feet in the air, helping the toddler balance with your hands.

Lay on your side and get a kid to sit on your leg, sidestradle, holding onto your hand. Lift your legs.

Kids usually love these activities and will wait their turn with relative patience.

Play tag with your kids.

Dance with your kids.

Fitness blender has an exercise video for kids that is a couple of games. It kicked my *kitten*.