Help!

Options
Questions: Whats best for me?

I go to Spin class, take long walks around a lake and use the gym twice a week for elliptical and tread mill.

Do I buy a Heart Rate monitor? Do I wait for the FitBit flex? Do I buy a pedometer?

What can I buy that is simple enough to use that will track my calories while, im cleaning my apartment, feeding ducks around a lake or working out hard in the gym?

I see so many people updating their fitness using different tools.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    A BodyMedia Fit will track your calories burned for the entire time you wear it, as well as give you steps taken, minutes of vigorous and moderate exercise, and quality of sleep. I have one and I love it!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Okay first - don't long cleaning your apartment. That's not exercise - that is daily activity. I probably wouldn't log feeding the ducks either.

A FitBit will track daily activity and walking but isn't great for strength training or biking (Spin Class).

A HRM would be good for Spin Class and working hard in the gym.

So it depends on your needs. I personally have a FitBit and a HRM.

I like the idea of the Body Media Fit but I'm too self-conscious to wear a giant device strapped to my arm all day long.
  • LadyThanata
    LadyThanata Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do you have to have the subscription for the Body Media Fit?

Is the arm band comfortable? Is it bulky and easily seen under shirts?
  • LadyThanata
    Options
    Well, I would track feeding the ducks, I go to the lake and walk, i also work the 10 blocks to the lake and back. When its rainy out I go to the gym for spin and on days I don't spin I go on the elliptical.

I'm looking for something that tracks calories while I do anything and everything. Something thats comfortable to wear and easy to use. It will make it easier for me to log my activities.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo and a Bluetooth HRM that sync's to my phone & the App for mostly everything exercise related.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit! I just wear it on my bra all day and sync it at night.
  • LadyThanata
    Options
    I love my Fitbit! I just wear it on my bra all day and sync it at night.

Are you going to stay with that one or get the new flex when it is released? Does it only track your steps?
  • browneyes97
    Options
    Do you have to have the subscription for the Body Media Fit?

Is the arm band comfortable? Is it bulky and easily seen under shirts?

I have the previous version- the bodybugg. After the initial purchase (I paid $100), I got 6 months free of the subscription after that it's $6.95 per month.

That being said, I love it. I know exactly how many calories I burned. I have fat arms so I feel it is more noticeable on me. It's not super bulky but you can tell you are wearing a band under tight fitting sleeves. The actual device you put to the back of your arm so its not too bad.
  • tweety612013
    Options
    I got the BodyMedia fit band and it works great. It tracks all of that and it downloads right into MFP and deducts the calories burned, even tells you when you sleep and how many hours you got. I love it.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Well, I would track feeding the ducks, I go to the lake and walk, i also work the 10 blocks to the lake and back. When its rainy out I go to the gym for spin and on days I don't spin I go on the elliptical.

I'm looking for something that tracks calories while I do anything and everything. Something thats comfortable to wear and easy to use. It will make it easier for me to log my activities.

No, you don't log all of that. That's considered daily activity, aka BMR. That normal stuff is what you would burn on a daily basis. What you log is intentional workouts. Your walk would count but not EVERY MOVE you make, that's just obsessive, and a cheat way to earn more cals, which is not what you want to do. I don't even log the couple of miles I walk everyday for classes, gym and work, or the steps I walk being a waitress 5 times a week, it's not worth it. Just Gym Time & Intention Walks/Jogs. That's it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get a fitbit to help track daily activity and thus get a more accurate calorie goal to work with.. I probably won't get the flex, because my son (15months) would constantly being trying to play with it and take it off my wrist. I already have a HRM for regular exercise and I love it.

I like the idea of a body bugg up until you get to the fact that you have to pay for the device and then pay to see the information it gathers. This doesn't work for me, since I'm on a tight budget.
  • LadyThanata
    Options
    Walking to the park and walking around a big lake, is what I call working out when I'm not at the gym. To many typos in the last post- Sorry. I would NOT add duck feeding lol, I meant to write /type that.

I am looking up everything everyone post so far. I don't mind paying a good amount for a great HRM or Fitbit, I just don't want to continue a subscription in order to enjoy it.

Hoping for more ideas. Thanks!!