shoot for daily goal for caloric intake or around 1200 to lo

Options
jdier
jdier Posts: 110 Member
So, here's a question. If we use the elliptical and burn a whole lot of calories, do we shoot for our daily goal for caloric intake or just stick down near 1200?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You go by whatever MFP recommends for you. If you haven't set it up, go to: Home / Goals / Guided and put in your height, weight, age, how active you are and everything and then MFP will give you what they recommend. Then you can go back into your goals, this type click "custom" and change fiber to 25g and your percentages to 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat as this is what is ACTUALLY recommended and what most people go by (if you want to).
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So, if MFP is telling me to eat 2000 calories, I should be?
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Me Personally.. I try to stick to 1200-1300 on my daily cals. I tend not to eat my exercise calories, but I'm happy they're there when I get in a drinky mood!:drinker:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    You should aim to eat most of your exercise calories (more than half of them definately) Many people try to do this...It is highly important you do this. MFP is already working on calorie deficit and therefore any calories you burn during exercise and do not eat will reduce the deficit even more...potentially pushing your body into starvation mode...where your body will hold on to all fat in order to "survive" and maintain physiological functioning.

The most important element to highlight is...Listen to your body :flowerforyou: It will let you know what it requires. Many people on here fail to eat their exercise calories and have experienced a drastic reduction of progress.

Hope this helps a little :flowerforyou:
  • Chrissy25
    Chrissy25 Posts: 17
    Options
    My daily intake goal is 1200 calories and I know whenever I enter my exercise for the day MFP will say like you have earned so many extra calories. Like today I have burned 300 calories and so it add 300 calories to my food journal giving me 1500 calories. I have still being trying to maintain only 1200 calories though because I don't want to give myself a excuse to eat more.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I use to stick to 1200 calories period until I started burning 500+ calories in a workout. My body seems to not like that big of a deficit. I would try eating maybe at least half of your exercise calories. I try to not leave more then 200 or 300 calories left for the day. I've only been doing this for a few days but I know that's what most people I have talked to on here do.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I try to eat all 1,200 calories. If I dont, I dont. Most days I do though. I'm always over on Fiber and Protein. When I work out I'll try and eat 1/2 to all of my exercise calories. I think I need to change my intake goals though because I'm stuck on one number for a while now. My shape has changed but not the scale.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I think I'm one of those people that has put my body into starvation mode. Now I need to try and correct it! For me at first it worked. Now my loss has come almost to a stand still. And I've drastically changed my routine so it should be falling off.