Zumba...any tips?

Options
My gym offers a Zumba class. It is free with membership, you just have to show up. There is one tomorrow at 11 for one hour. I am far from fit and I am very much a beginner, but it looks like fun. Do you have to know anything about it to just show up and do it? Is it something a beginner can handle for an entire hour? Thoughts are appreciated! :)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you get lost, just do toe taps while you try to figure it out. As long as you keep moving, you will get it quickly.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    No matter what: JUST KEEP MOVING!!! It doesn't matter if you don't catch the steps, just keep moving your body! And don't forget to laugh at yourself especially when you mess up :)
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about getting all the steps right just keep moving and have fun!! Gets easier every time you do it..I started zumba 100 pounds heavier than I am now and haven't stopped dancing the whole time!! Zumba is what started it all for me..try it, at least 3 classes till u decide on it...
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am a certified Zumba instructor and you'll love it because the moves are repetitive (only about 4-6 moves per song). There are some instructors that over-complicate the class with crazy choreography which goes against the Zumba principle,(or someone who has no idea of what they're doing but hopefully you won't have either experience. It is suppose to be a party like atmosphere and there is no such thing as "getting the moves right". Just keep moving, do what you can and have fun with it!

All in all it is so much fun and you'll get a great work out. Expect to burn about 500 calories having a good time!
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You don't have to know all the steps or be a "dancer' to enjoy zumba. The goal is to keep moving! I'm a certified instructor, too, and like the other instructor said, zumba is designed to be repetitive - there should only be a few moves per song - so if the class is designed that way, you'll be picking up the moves in no time! In the meantime, move, smile, sweat, and have a great time! It's a workout that doesn't really seem like a workout because it's fun. Enjoy! (and don't forget to bring some water!)
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    just keep moving, bring water, and don't wear your sneakers with the most grip (will be easier to do some moves). i actually went barefoot for a while until i bought sneakers that were meant to turn in. then again, i am barefoot a lot, so that is more natural for me.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to go barefoot, but maybe some no-slip socks would be nice...and thanks everyone for the great advice! I will definitely look silly, but as long as I keep moving I should be okay. How do you calculate the calories burned? I don't have a HRM...maybe log it as low-impact cardio?
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I log it as "Dancing, aerobic ballet or modern, twist" and I feel the calories burned are fairly accurate.
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Leave your inhibitions at the door and HAVE FUN!!!
  • minivegrunner
    Options
    It's SO much fun. you'll learn the dance as you go! just keep dancing and having fun, and you'll do fine!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Show up with water, sneakers and a towel. Also wear comfortable clothing and be prepared to have a fantastically fun and complete workout! It's the best and no one is looking at you so don't worry about that. Also as long as you keep moving and try mimicking what the instructor is doing you will get better at Zumba each time you go. A hint: stand behing someone who knows the steps, it will be helpful to you :flowerforyou:
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Show up with water, sneakers and a towel. Also wear comfortable clothing and be prepared to have a fantastically fun and complete workout! It's the best and no one is looking at you so don't worry about that. Also as long as you keep moving and try mimicking what the instructor is doing you will get better at Zumba each time you go. A hint: stand behing someone who knows the steps, it will be helpful to you :flowerforyou:

^^^This!!! I am a Licensed Zumba instructor and it's true, everybody is busy looking at themselves in the mirror or at the instructor so don't worry about anybody watching you! Definitely wear sneakers (like a cross trainer without a lot of tread to allow for lateral movement and absorption of impact). I have people ages 16-70+ in my classes. Everybody works at their level. A great teacher will show modifications and remind you to challenge yourself but also to listen to your body and work at your own intensity level. Let the music move you and give it several tries. It truly is exercise in disguise!! Good luck!! And let us know what you think!!

As for logging it, I highly recommend buying and HRM. Every instructor is different, so how much you burn depends on: your height, your weight, the instructors playlist and the intensity/effort you put into it. Each class varies, so for the best accuracy, an HRM would be a great investment.