What time do you stop eatting after?

Options
Ok, so the Dr. at the weightloss clinic that I recently started going to told me not to eat anything past 1:00pm, basically skip supper. He wants me to eat 800 calories at breakfast and 400 at lunch, with 45minutes of exercise everyday. Has anyone else ever heard of this? or do this? I've always heard never skip meals and not to eat supper real late. I've been doing really good staying within the 1200 calories a day but the 1:00pm thing is defiantly not working because I usually don't get into bed until around 2:00am. So I have started eatting something small for supper around 5:00.

Replies

• Harper1984
    Harper1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have never hear of someone doing that.....but I would be SOOOOOOOOO hungry that I would eat anyway....
  • doll2002
    doll2002 Posts: 427
    Options
    Did you let your doctor know that this plan was not working for you? I have no idea why he would tell you to skip dinner. That's a lot of calories for breakfast. You are going amost 12 hours without a meal going by his plan. I try not eat after 7 p.m. and it works well most of the time.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    That is complete garbage. 1pm? Are you kidding me? And this from a weight loss clinic? I'd ask to see some credentials if I were you. You definitely need food after 1pm. This is one of the more ridiculous things I've read on here. Food = energy.

Just, wow.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I stop eating by 7pm...which is atleast 3 hours before I go to bed
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the Dr. at the weightloss clinic that I recently started going to told me not to eat anything past 1:00pm, basically skip supper. He wants me to eat 800 calories at breakfast and 400 at lunch, with 45minutes of exercise everyday. Has anyone else ever heard of this? or do this? I've always heard never skip meals and not to eat supper real late. I've been doing really good staying within the 1200 calories a day but the 1:00pm thing is defiantly not working because I usually don't get into bed until around 2:00am. So I have started eatting something small for supper around 5:00.

Uh, that sounds totally whack-a-doo, if you ask me. I eat my last meal between 5:30 and 6:00pm, and sometimes even have a small snack before bed if I'm still hungry - a rice cake with a schmear of peanut butter, or a small dish of cottage cheese. Not eating after 1:00pm just does not sound smart.
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I've never been to a weight loss clinic, but that to me is rediculous! I would die if I didn't eat that long. I would check and make sure he has his screws tight in his head .. and run far way from there and never look back. I try to eat by 6 o'clock at night and it works for me. Last night I ate at 7:30 ..because my son had a baseball game ..but that's the only time.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that basically goes against all nutrition research. You need to keep eating to fuel your body. I would suggest you break it down more, like 250 cal for breakfast, 350 for lunch, 200 cal HEALTHY snack at around 3:30/4pm, and 400 cal dinner. Not eating after a certain time usually helps most if you are a night time snacker. So have a bigger, high protein and high fiber dinner that will keep you satiated. Pick vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower that are very high in fiber. Asparagus are also great. There is absolutely no reason you should stop eating at 1pm. And aside from that, over eating at breakfast like that will probably set you up for disaster anyway because you are stretching your stomach and then starving yourself after for the rest of the day.

I think you should switch weight loss clinics or maybe just try weight watchers instead, since the have a much better approach.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't do this. The more you eat and exercise, the faster your metabolism becomes. So everytime you eat, your metabolism gets going. That's why the good "diet" plans say to eat 6 small meals a day or 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day (which is what I do and had no problem losing almost 20 lbs in 3 1/2 months - I only have 40 to lose).

Since I work late and only have time to get to the gym after work on nights that I close (slowly becoming less and less thanks to a good schedule) so sometimes I don't get to eat until 8:30 or 9 so I can't really have a cut off time. I think a lot of people on here do 6 or 7. I just make sure dinner is the last thing I put in my mouth (and then my toothbrush :tongue:) for the night.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I stop eating at a different time nearly every night. It depends who takes the kids in, who picks up, whose turn to make supper, if it's during the work week, etc. Sometimes during the work week, the only time I have to work out is after the kids go to bed (after 9 p.m.), but since it sometimes doesn't happen (dog sick, laundry MUST get done, husband has hockey game he didn't tell me about, etc.) I leave room in my food log so that I'm not over if I can't get a good workout in. But, if I do, I will be hungry when I am done, and I don't sleep well on an empty stomach so sometimes it's close to midnight when I finish eating. Other nights, if I was able to exercise in the morning, I am done eating by 7.

Either way, not eating after 1:00 p.m. sounds ridiculous. Did you mean 1:00 a.m. by chance?
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    WOW.... thats just insane... just like others said.. ASK for CREDENTIALS... and that sounds like a diet for MY GREAT AUNT who goes to bed at 5 or 6 pm.... Man... I eat cereal and milk b4 bed.... BUT it works for me.. If I don't I find I am starving when I wake up. ONLY GOOD CARBS THOUGH...:) but everyone is differnt, eating small meals all day and making sure they are healthy is what most dr's reccomend now... I WISH YOU THE BEST.....

PS. I am a night owl, I may wake up early but take a nap... BUT I generally dont go to bed til at least 2 or 3. (this is why I eat cereal around midnight)
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    Anytime you make your body starve for that long, your metabolism slows down and you will go into starvation mode. It's not just how many calories you eat during the day, but that you spread them out properly so that your body always has fuel while it's awake and doing the most work. I do agree with the notion that you should eat more calories earlier in the day and less later in the day, but not to the point where that means absolutely none in the later part of the day. I heard a saying once to eat breakfast like a queen, lunch like a princess, and dinner like a pauper -- I thought it was a pretty good illustration of that notion.

I eat my last meal about 4 hours before bed and my last (very small) snack no later than 1 hour before bed.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I hope you are not spending your hard earned money to pay someone like this to lead you astray.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion!

I normally don't eat past 7pm, but some days it's 7:30pm :)
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    get a second opinion.

I don't think that is healthy.

I don't eat past 8:30, I don't get off work till 6:00 or 6:30 and don't go to bed till 10:30 or 11
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    1 PM?! Are you kidding! I would starve! I usually work till 6 and am not eating dinner till usually after 7. I try to keep my dinners no more then 350 calories. The later I eat the less I eat.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi neighbor:flowerforyou:
    I live in southern Ohio:bigsmile:
    I think I would take my money and go to the grocery store and buy lots of veggies, fruit and whole grains and stick with the way MFP tells me to lose the weight. I have been on most of the crazy diets out there and this sounds like just another fad. What kind of " doctor" is treating you? Doesn't sound like a nutritionist to me. I am over 50, have wasted lots of years yo yoing to where I am at right now. Please don't make the same mistakes I have made. It takes time to get the weight off, there are no quick fixes and this way (MFP) you learn how to do it right and be able to keep it off.
    To success:drinker: ( but only water)
  • riri0301
    riri0301 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ive heard od not eating past 7pm never ever 1pm dats ludacris reliastically speaking ur gonna cave in soon because its such a ridiculous demand ur still up for more than 10hrs not only are u gonna get hungry again but u need food to energize urself..........i hope u get a second opinion best of luck
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I would be soo.o hungry. I go to bed about 10pm. I try to eat dinner before 6pm and absolutely nothing, not even snacks after 9pm...8pm if I can handle it.
  • MissKaay
    MissKaay Posts: 25
    Options
    I never eat after 5, and if I do, I gain the weight.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I eat right up until I go to bed. My commute takes a while so I get up at 5.30 and get home at 6.30, dinner at 7.30/8 then a healthy dessert or after dinner snack and bed by 9.30... no time for pre-bed fasts!

Weight loss has very little to do with what time you eat, except that it is better for your body (hormone responses etc) if you eat regularly. The reason people see success with say 'not eating after 7pm' is because that is the time where people tend to sit in front of the tv and mindlessly snack on things they shouldn't be eating that much of. Basically, when they give themselves a cut-off they eat less per day in total. It has nothing to do with the timing.