Anti-Fat-Gravitron-2000

Options
So the name may not have a lot to do with my qt....buuuuut

I just realised that in the 'rest' days (where i still workout, but just less than 'workout' days) which occur 4 times a week...i have 0g of fat intake and that even on my workout days its only 4g

I assure you this was not intentional, but i have a bagillion (yes, real word) allergies and am vegan and at the moment what i eat is basically all i CAN eat

So qt is - should i be concerned about this? Or is it a good thing?

What are potential benefits or dangers of it??

Thanks guys!!!

Note - i still have heaps of protein - about 60g a day!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I wonder if your calculating fat correctly. Even vegetables have fat. Things like cabbage and broccoli get something like 10% of their calories from fat. I think the only way to eat next to no fat is to basically only eat "fat free" processed food and fruit.
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    I eat pumpkin at the moment mainly for my vegetable source...that and beans ... and fruit .... are sort of mainly it

So even if there is a fat count twould still be only a gram or two....problem or not worth worrying about?
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats are needed to keep all your joints well lubricated. I know you said you had a lot of allergies and are vegan but could you add mixed nuts like cashews or almonds? I am sorry I am not sure exactly what all is appropriate in a vegan diet. Also those bocca burgers in the frozen section offer some fat. I would try and get more than 4g a day, everyone is different, but for me that is pretty low.
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    Alas i am allergic to nuts :(
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    lol I figured, its a common allergy. Hmmm.....can you explain better what is and isn't okay to eat on a vegan diet? I am not as familar with it as branches of vegetarianism. I will brainstorm more fat options!
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    Basically with vegan i dont eat anything that is associated with animals in anyway...no milk, cheese, yogurt, honey, etc
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Talk to your DR. considering your health issues.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you have that many dietary restrictions already, then maybe vegan isn't the best diet for you? If you're not able to get enough of an essential macronutrient (fat) while being vegan, then maybe you should reconsider. While it's possible for most people to get enough nutrition on a vegan diet, it's not going to be possible for everyone, due to other dietary restrictions (e.g. allergies).

Are you allergic to avocado and olives? They're good vegetable sources of healthy fat, as is flax seed and other seeds. If you are allergic to every vegan source of healthy fat, then you really ought to start getting fat from animal sources otherwise you'll become ill from malnutrition. Even in the Qur'an it says Muslims are allowed to eat pork if they would become malnourished without it (i.e. if there was no other source of food or no other source of protein). I have respect for everyone's ethical beliefs so long as they're not harming themselves or others in the process. If your ethical beliefs lead you to eat a diet that's making you ill or likely to make you ill, then really... where's the ethics in that?
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I may be interpreting this wrong but I don't think OP is vegan by choice - she says she has many allergies and what she eats is all she can eat, which would imply that she doesn't eat animal products because she can't.

OP, I would suggest you talk to your doctor.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    try avocado, olives, oils, coconut oil, grapeseed etc you definatly need fats in your diet they are a vital nutrient. I hope you can find a source to get some fats in there x just remembered try adding chia seeds they are great source of omega fats have them in smoothies, muffins whatever, do you eat eggs?, nothing wrong with eggs, buy organic free range (i do) if its the ethics and acai berries, you could go into Govita australian health food shop and ask them for advice.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Op you need dietary fat more than you know.

"First of all, you need fat in your diet to survive, there are basic metabolic functions that require certain fatty acids (omega 3 and 6). If any of these are at 0 for a prolonged period you will die, plain and simple. If they are too low for a prolonged period you can incur organ and nerve damage. You also need dietary fat to absorb some of your fats and minerals. On top of that all of your sex-hormones are produced from lipids so yea."
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would say that's a bad thing. Fat is essential for a healthy body, obviously too much fat is bad thing though. Have you tried coconut oil? It's vegan and quite tasty.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Most people require about 2T of fat per day for their bodies to function long-term. That's 14g of fat per day.

How your body uses fat:
    -Fat lines and insulates some of your nerves, making the neurons transmit messages faster. Without "mylenated" nerves, your muscles and brain won't work. Then you'll die.
    -Hormones are made from fat. No hormones=no emotions, no sexual function, no response to stimulus, no way for your brain to send certain messages to some of your organs. Then you'll die.
    -Cell membranes are made from fat. No fat means your cells will eventually start to fall apart. And you'll die.
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!

Shall make extra effort to try and find some ways to incorporate it in...i cant have avocados or nuts but i might look into the flaxseed!

Thanks again!