MFP Diary: to share or not to share?

Options
I think this belongs here as i believe it can help people get quick support/feedback concerning weight loss.

Just curious why you decided to share or not share your MFP diary.

And why should someone share their diary.

I think the first step is to say to the world, I want to lose weight. But its a leap to show the world everything you eat everyday. Thus making your commitment that much stronger.

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I personally don't share mine. I just don't think its anyones business really. I'm not interested in anyone elses. To each their own, this is our own personal weight loss battle ya know?
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I share mine because if I don't, I tend to cheat and overeat because, I think... ' No one knows but me '

But when I share mine I am honest about what I eat. It also makes me conscious about what I put in my mouth. Before I make food, order food, or eat food... I think 'Many people trying to lose weight are going to see this, do I really want them to know that I could order and eat 1200 calories in one meal from my favorite restaurant? ' ... Whatever works right? I also believe that people could be looking at what I eat, for ideas, advice, and inspiration... And I for sure love to help people, wouldn't want to let anybody else who is encouraged enough to be healthy and a member of this website down...
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Well I am sharing mine ( I hope) for that reason. I think it helps me stay accountable, although some days I'm lazy and don't post my food. =( bad me! I think it might help others to see what we all eat, good and bad alike.

I like when others share their food diary because ( I'm guilty) of stealing meal ideas and snack ideas from some people's. I respect the fact that some people don't want to share, it's completely cool. I think it's a personal choice.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I feel the most important person to be honest with is ME, noone else matters in regards to that in regards to what foods I chose to eat each day. My diary isn't public not because I'm hiding anything. lol I just never made it public plus the fact that I've seen at LEAST 3 attack threads on who's eating what and why and etc. etc. ie. food police, members policing ppl's diaries or coming to conclusions that may or may not be true as to why ppl do what they do with their diaries. Apparently nothing better to do?:noway:

I for one am not here to judge what you put in your diary unless you ASK me if to look over it, I would NEVER EVER look it over other than that and judge you for eating or not eating something. I find that incredibly insensitive and threads that begin with that tone do nothing for this board but have more and more members lock down their food diaries. Someppl use other's diaries to get food tips so when more and more are making them private others lose out. :ohwell:

If anyone ever made a comment on mine I'd be crushed ok, probably more pissed:wink: , but they won't since mine has always been private and the self appointed foodie police already stir up enough crap around here as it is. NONE of us is perfect in anyway.

If we kept to our own business what a world it would be, :flowerforyou: :smokin:
    Yup, feeling abit strongly about this after seeing yet another food police thread yesterday started by the very same person that started the last disastrous (quite painful for some) one where we lost not only many open diaries but a number of MFP members as well. New members do NOT feel comfy with that sort of thread. Well :huh: gee neither do alot of us veterans either!

Becca

jerren
    My response has little to do with the topic raised by you in general but I'm feeling strongly about this topic after several ugly threads have occured that went well beyond simply asking basic questions. :flowerforyou:
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I am accountable to me and me alone so I do not publicly share my diary. Besides which there are some real health freaks on this board and I'd never want to give them fuel to judge me if we were in a debate. :)

Not that I eat all that terribly but I'm not overly concerned with clean eating either.

Anyway - yeah. I don't need input or want input so why make my diary public?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I like sharing mine so others can get ideas from it. I'm a diabetic stay at home mom. I figure if I show people that I can make it work, they'll find the resolve to make it work for them, too!
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I feel the most important person to be honest with is ME, noone else matters in regards to that. My diary isn't public not because I'm hiding anything. lol I just never made it public plus the fact that I've seen at LEAST 3 attack threads on who's eating what and why and etc. etc. ie. food police, members policing ppl's diaries or coming to conclusions that may or may not be true as to why ppl do what they do with their diaries.

I for one am not here to judge what you put in your diary unless you ASK me if to look over it, I would NEVER EVER look it over other than that and judge you for eating or not eating something. I find that incredibly insensitive and thread that begin with that tone do nothing for this board but have more and more members lock down their food diaries. Someppl use other's diaries to get food tips so when more and more are making them private others lose out.

If anyone every made a comment on mine I'd be crushed, but they won't since mine has always been private and the self appointed foodie police already stir up enough crap around here as it is. NONE of us is perfect in anyway.

If we kept to our own business what a world it would be, :flowerforyou: :smokin:
    Yup, feeling abit strongly about this after seeing yet another food police yesterday started by the very same person that started the last disastrous (quite painful for some) one where we lost not only open diaries but a number of MFP members as well. New members do NOT feel comfy with that sort of thread. Well :huh: gee neither do alot of us veterans either!

Heh. 100% agree with this.
  • Ladeejulz
    Ladeejulz Posts: 56
    Options
    If I can help someone by sharing my diary then it's worth it. I also like to view other peoples diaries who are successful in their weight lose because I want ideas on meal choices that might help me. I get bored with my meals at times and like to change things up a little. I appreciate the help from others when I do get a new idea from someone elses diary. Thanks you all who share!!

Julie :bigsmile:
  • georgette70
    georgette70 Posts: 158
    Options
    I don't mind sharing my diary at all!! But to each their own...if you don't share yours..thats fine as well. Like Ladeejulz, I like getting meal ideas....in fact I have picked up a few already....I respect everyone's choice to share or not to share :happy:
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Wait, why would people care what others eat???? I didint even know we could share it until the other day... and I am on here to lose weight so I am obviously no expert so why would anyone care what I eat? LOL
    I feel the most important person to be honest with is ME, noone else matters in regards to that in regards to what foods I chose to eat each day. My diary isn't public not because I'm hiding anything. lol I just never made it public plus the fact that I've seen at LEAST 3 attack threads on who's eating what and why and etc. etc. ie. food police, members policing ppl's diaries or coming to conclusions that may or may not be true as to why ppl do what they do with their diaries. Apparently nothing better to do?:noway:

I for one am not here to judge what you put in your diary unless you ASK me if to look over it, I would NEVER EVER look it over other than that and judge you for eating or not eating something. I find that incredibly insensitive and threads that begin with that tone do nothing for this board but have more and more members lock down their food diaries. Someppl use other's diaries to get food tips so when more and more are making them private others lose out. :ohwell:

If anyone ever made a comment on mine I'd be crushed ok, probably more pissed:wink: , but they won't since mine has always been private and the self appointed foodie police already stir up enough crap around here as it is. NONE of us is perfect in anyway.

Yup, feeling abit strongly about this after seeing yet another food police thread yesterday started by the very same person that started the last disastrous (quite painful for some) one where we lost not only many open diaries but a number of MFP members as well. New members do NOT feel comfy with that sort of thread. Well :huh: gee neither do alot of us veterans either!

Becca

jerren
    My response has little to do with the topic raised by you in general but I'm feeling strongly about this topic after several ugly threads have occured that went well beyond simply asking basic questions. :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've made mine public because quite simply, it reflects who I am, an open book :P
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I share because I'm motivated by the possibility of public failure.

No lie.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I share mine because I don't really care if anyone judges me, I'm ok with how I eat and I wouldn't change anything. I also am vegetarian so if I can help someone out by letting them see my diary, then the good outweighs any potential bad. That's just me though and I am not really bothered by other people's criticism anyway. Besides I've lost 25 lbs so what I'm doing is obviously working. Good luck to all, open diary or not!!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Mine is viewable. I personally like looking at other people's to get ideas on additional healthy items I can add to my grocery list and to see what healthy choices other people make....especially those that do well with their weight loss and have been able to successfully keep it off. I am learning how to eat the right way for a lifetime and I am soaking up all the knowledge I can. I also don't mind if people want to look at mine for the same reasons because I am proud of the choices I make and if someone can learn from my diary, great!

I have been working with a nutrition coach for the past 3 months also.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I keep my food diary open to all. I also like to see other food diaries. I like to see what other people are eating in comparison to their success and to borrow food/meal ideas. I would never presume to judge someone though. Personally, I like organic food... local fruit/produce... clean eating... and trying to minimize processed foods as much as possible. I'm not going to preach to someone that is losing weight eating lean cuisines, 100 cal packs, crystal light, etc. Even if their food diary is public, it's not my business.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I share my diary because I like to look at other's diaries and I figure it's only fair. I like to look and get ideas of stuff I haven't thought to try. I don't care if somebody eats something I wouldn't eat or if I eat something that somebody else doesn't approve of. My choices are mine to make and as long as I'm happy with my progress then it doesn't matter.

But I think it's great that it's optional and everyone can do their own thing! :flowerforyou:
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    My meditation every morning begins with, Today, I will judge no one. And when I'm done meditating I say Judgement is BS.

With that said, I suppose no good forum is without its crap starters.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Well I think Becca said it 100% perfectly and I won't add to it! What I will say is that mine WAS open to the public until thses "food police" posts began, and continue. (as of just yesterday there were 2 different post about "concerns" people were having w/other people eating under 1200 calories) these threads could only start if there were people out there searching through other folks diaries. I personally started MFP for support and motivation during this journey. I did not join to be judged in any way, shape, or form! There is enough of that in the world and I didn't think this was the place for it. So to answer your question, mine became private as of the time those threads began judging others diaries. I, personally think I am doing a good job, and am proud of myself and would love to feel comfortable enough to have my diary open to the public. But this journey is hard enough and I do not need to take the chance of someone bringing me down by giving their unasked for personal opinion, GOOD LUCK in your decision"
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think we have the beginnings of a support group!