24 with chest pains *eye roll*

Options
Hello there everyone :) As you can see by the date under my pic I've been a member of MFP for over two years now. I originally got on here and lost a whopping 60lbs in no time. I went back to all of my unhealthy ways, smoking, drinking, eating like a cow lol and here I am having gained all but 18 of the 60 back.

Now, I'm very much motivated to get healthy again. I quit smoking a few days ago, and have been faithfully sticking to my healthy eating. The major reason for my renewed motivation is these terrible chest pains and heart palpitations I've been having recently. I have been to my Doc and had several tests done, apparently nothing is wrong, but it hurts everyday, which leads me to the reason for this post!

I NEED to somehow put the pain aside and the anxiety that goes with it and get out and get some exercise! It's really hard to get motivated when I'm scared to death half the time that I'm gonna have a heart attack lol. I understand that the likelihood is that the chest pains are only caused by my anxiety issue, but for some reason my realization of that is not making them any better. lol SO, any suggestions on how to get over it and get moving?

Replies

• staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Start out slowly. Maybe as you see some changes, gain some confidence and change your mindset, the anxiety will lessen and the chest pain will go away. I'd be careful even though the doc says there is nothing wrong, unless you've had an EKG, stress test and some blood work.

You can do it, especially if you've done it before and we are here to help and support you! :happy: Welcome back on the wagon!
  • binniej
    binniej Posts: 1
    Options
    Just wanted to suggest something for the chest pains - I had them too, was really worried that I had imminent heart attack! Not suggesting for a second they shouldn't be properly medically supervised, but a homeopath suggested I take magnesium powder (which is soluble) and it has definitely helped. If you also get leg cramps and trouble sleeping, you could have a magnesium deficiency! Can't hurt anyway ..! Look up magnesium and chest pains on internet ..
    All the best, Belle.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going on meds for the Anxiety? That helped my chest pains. Or talking to a counselor? Hugs I hope this get better for you!
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity....had any bad respiratory colds/flus in the last several months? You may have costal chondritis.....the lining of your thoracic (chest) cavity and the area around your ribs becomes inflammed causing what feels like heart attack symptoms. If not, try some light stretching before exercise....you may have tight muscles-pectorals, abs, etc.
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Babe I had the same thing a few years back, in the end I got refrred to a cardiologist. They did blood tests, murmour exams, xrays, ultrasounds, the works. Finally they put it down to stress - i think the official diagnosis was stress relief! I thought I was dying. I would be completely incapacitated for 2/3 hrs at a time and feel so ill I can't even describe it. What I can tell you honestly is that there were a few things in my life at that time that I wasn't fully facing up to. When I addressed them the pains stopped. I've started having them again recently, first time in about 3 years, but this time Im not wasting my time with the doc, I'm trying to pinpoint their cause and fix it myself. If you need to talk, and Im not judging just opened my eyes to these things recently, then you know where I am...x x x
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I did recently wind up in the hospital after having a random seizure outside a bar, they told me it was hypokalemia which is severely low potassium. I was prescribed mega doses of potassium for like a week. I've had my potassium checked since and it's fine now (quit drinking helped I think). When I first found out about the low potassium I was overjoyed to finally have a REAL REASON behind the chest pains, but potassium is normal now and still chest pains.

4 days ago I was put on Lexapro for anxiety and the doc gives me xanax which I use occassionally for really bad panic attacks. So far lexapro makes me feel like a zombie..lol which is why I want to get out and get some fresh air. I'm afraid I'll become like a shutin or something if my chest doesn't quit hurting.

Maybe patience is all I need..dunno! Really thanks for listening, I tend to keep things like this to myself and just whine and complain to my husband hahaha
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    babe honestly, I know it sounds the most ridiculous thing ever, and when they first told me I wrote them off as quacks, but I've come to understand how the body works a bit better over the past 3/4 years. Without going into the long story I emigrated to the US on my own, to a place I'd never been before with no job, no place to live and no friends in sight. I coped with that stress for a long time but thats not to say it didn't manifest in my body, it caught up with me a year later in the form of panic attacks that made me feel like the world was ending. I couldnt understand it at the time becase I'd already overcome the day to day stress, sometimes your body holds on to the big stuff though and releases it when least expected. Don't panic troo much and dont get too carried away with the anti d's either because thats a slippery slope. I took the odd half a xanex myself when a friend offered and I was particularly frayed but you will get through this. Stay strong, focused and determined and in a few months it will be a distant memory x
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kate :) I'm sure you are right, and I'm sure it is just stress. I wish I had a switch to shut off the stress receptor! lol
    Glad to hear I'm not alone and that you got over yours! Some hope there...thanks again :)
    :flowerforyou: Lauren