Calories Burned Estimator

SassyMissDasha
SassyMissDasha Posts: 614
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I found this website .. it gives you the most accurate calories burned ..for whatever activity you are doing, if it's not already listed in the data base. You can look it up here!

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Replies

• ntsmomma1
    ntsmomma1 Posts: 35 Member
    thanks!! :bigsmile:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    thanks!! :bigsmile:

great website! thank you x
  • ebh1024
    ebh1024 Posts: 186
    Thanks...I just recently purchased a Heart Rate Monitor and was totally surprised with the amount of calories burned. I will check this site and compare to my HRM. I'm not burning nearly half as what I thought I was burning. But guess a calorie burned is a calorie burned!
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    I thought I was burning more than my HRM is indicating, but that's ok.... I just gotta keep working my hiney off (literally) and I'll get there. =) Thanks for sharing the site!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    I just tried it compared to my heart rate monitor. I still think it estimates high.
  • What's a heart rate monitor?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    What's a heart rate monitor?

It is a device that you wear that measures your heart rate during physical activity. If you input your weight, height, etc... it can accurately dictate the number of calories you burned during the activity. They range from very simple to very complex.
  • great website...thanks for sharing!
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    It's kinda funny how everyone assumes heart rate monitors have the edge in accuracy when it comes to predicting calories burned. Heart rate has only a very rough relationship with calories burned...depending on your fitness level your heart rate can vary wildly whilst you're performing the SAME amount of work (same amount of work always requires the same energy, ie. you will always burn the same number of calories). Really weight is by far the most significant factor in predicting your calorie burn.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    It's kinda funny how everyone assumes heart rate monitors have the edge in accuracy when it comes to predicting calories burned. Heart rate has only a very rough relationship with calories burned...depending on your fitness level your heart rate can vary wildly whilst you're performing the SAME amount of work (same amount of work always requires the same energy, ie. you will always burn the same number of calories). Really weight is by far the most significant factor in predicting your calorie burn.

HRM's do not rely on heart rate alone, they calculate oxygen used as well to determine calories burned.

That's why HRM's with chest straps are pushed so much and the monitors that only calculate heart rates are generally discouraged.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member

HRM's do not rely on heart rate alone, they calculate oxygen used as well to determine calories burned.

That's why HRM's with chest straps are pushed so much and the monitors that only calculate heart rates are generally discouraged.

outside of having scientists measure your oxygen intake in a lab it's very difficult to get a good idea of how much oxygen you've taken in. Heart rate isn't a good idea of oxygen intake either - someone with good cardiovascular fitness will have a bigger, healthier heart that can pump much more blood (and therefore oxygen) round the body in a single beat, so can burn off a much larger amount of calories than a less healthier person whilst maintaining the exact same heart rate!
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295

outside of having scientists measure your oxygen intake in a lab it's very difficult to get a good idea of how much oxygen you've taken in. Heart rate isn't a good idea of oxygen intake either - someone with good cardiovascular fitness will have a bigger, healthier heart that can pump much more blood (and therefore oxygen) round the body in a single beat, so can burn off a much larger amount of calories than a less healthier person whilst maintaining the exact same heart rate!

You can argue the science all you want - the bottom line is people have more success losing weight using HRMs then they do relying on 'calorie' estimators.

I think MFP can vouche for that...
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Thanks for that link; it was useful in letting me compare how accurate my Garmin HRM is. Pretty accurate, it seems!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    I use that site and also this one: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php for some of the things the other is missing, I think this site calculates a bit higher though, but I try to be as accurate on my times and distances, etc of exercise and try to pick what is the closest to that exercise, I've lost 6lbs so far and weigh in tomorrow :)
This discussion has been closed.