Cheat day = Loss?

Options
So the scale has not moved much in the last 2-3 weeks despite my continuos running and eating well... I am staying under my 1750 calories (I actually increased because i thought that would help my last plateau) and running 2-3 miles every other day. A couple days ago I had a weak moment where I went out to eat and ate 5 lbs of tortilla chips.. ok maybe not literally 5 lbs but it felt like it! That, along with my yummy veggie quesadilla. I felt horrible the next day from eating so. Boo.

This morning i step on the scale and get a .4 loss! Coincidence?

If a delicious mexican meal once a week is what it takes to lose weight, I think I can handle that! :wink:

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I notice the same thing. I tend to lose if I have a few hundred extra calories one day per week. We usually go out to eat on Friday night, and I always have a loss (or maintain) on Sunday morning.
  • Moonbeem11
    Moonbeem11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The theory behind this is - your body adjusts to eating a certain amount of calories. So if for a little bit, it "thinks" it doesn't have to conserve as many calories it will burn up more. The body just wants to survive so it sets the metabolism accordingly. Some people say that having a cheat day helps - or at least varying the amount of calories you eat. This is also true of foods - it is best to rotate foods because we need different nutrients.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I personally think having a "cheat" meal is good for the motivation and for the soul. Obviously healthy eating makes you feel great but life is too short for food to become a chore and I think once a week if you feel like having something a bit naughty then why not!

the only thing I've fallen into the trap of is allowing the cheat day to escalate out of control - literally make it a whole day of stuffing my face with junk, but as long as it's controlled I think it's a good idea and obviously as you have found doesn't do any harm to your progress! result
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I always believed that having a cheat "MEAL" helps to reboot your metabolism to full throttle. I often have a cheat meal every 3-4 pounds I lose, like many said, it also helps to keep you sane during your journey to a better and healthier lifestyle.

Now, a cheat meal doesn't mean you should be eating junk food that has high fat/sodium. That's a no no..

A cheat meal in my book is high carb and calories during a meal to go pass your daily calories intake. In my case, I eat a big portion of pasta with meatsauce.

That being said, remember that everyone has a unique case, different body/metabolism type.

Good luck!

Yours truly,
    Novice bodybuilder.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I call those days "No log" days because I hate the word cheat. I am just living my life, not on a diet. I didnt log yesterday because we were out on a whale watch and then went out to eat...basically I was snacking at the snack bar all day and then I just ordered whatever I wanted for dinner without thinking about calories or tracking, etc. I also didn't take advantage and go crazy and eat a 10,000 cal meal. I ordered sensibly, but I did eat candy and chips on the boat, and I did have regular coke with dinner, and I did eat pizza and fries. whatever.

Earlier in this week, I weighed 200lbs. I weighed in today and I am at 199. So that one no log day didnt kill me. I dont think one day is going to destroy anyone's progress. Is it the best thing to do? probably not. But we are living our lives.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yea, this has happened to me and my mom as well.

Once, I indulged in Five Guys burger and fries. Lost 2.5 pounds that day.
    My mom went to Cheesecake Factory. She hadn't been able to lose in a week or so. She went and lost three pounds.
  • titanbonnie
    Options
    A cheat MEAL is ok, it keep us sane. But, it should not turn into a Cheat DAY! food is good but health is better!
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My "cheat" meal is just me eating up the extra calories from the other days during the week. It keeps me sane and I think it helps with the weight loss!! (for me it's just usually about an extra 500-600 calories for that meal-so not a binge) So I truly eat back all of my exercise pts!! Today it means I get potato oles with cheese with my chicken taco. I have lost more then 7 lbs in 4 weeks so I'm standing by this theory until it stops working-if it does I will re evaluate and try something else. Good luck in finding what works for you! :drinker: