I Strongly Dislike Exercise!

Options
I want to refrain from saying I hate exercise but do strongly dislike it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm heavy and it takes a lot of energy or if I'm just lazy. I don't like the gym. I don't like lifting weights. The thing is I would love to be a runner. Walking and running. Nice and simple. Has anyone gone from hating exercise to loving it? What changed and why?

Replies

• kaydrinkscoffee
    Options
    I totally hate exercise, because it does just feel like hard work and I'd rather spend my time doing fun things. But I just started belly dancing, which I love love love, because it is more like having fun than working out - though it's brilliant for toning the core ^_^
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Runners high. . . . from running

Lifting, because I enable beast mode

Of course its hard, Its really hard. No excuses, not ever.

couch 25k. google it.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I get like that sometimes. Then I find something I really love to do, and I find myself looking forward to it. I change my workouts all the time because I get bored so easily.

Walking is great! I lost the first 30 pounds that way because I was too heavy to do much else. I walked for about 45 minutes every night, and when I got into better shape, I increased it to an hour and picked a route that had a couple hills. I looked forward to listening to music and looking at the scenery. A guy on my friends list has lost close to 100 pounds by walking for an hour or two every night.

Then I got into Turbo Jam... and "Just Dance"... and the elliptical... and now "The Firm".

Once I lose more weight, I'd like to try C25K.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to love it to do it? I've have jobs that I didn't like but I showed up every day. I've taken classes that I hated but passed with great grades.

Don't make excuses
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm really lazy, so I used to hate exercise. Once I got into the habit of doing it, it made it a lot easier to do. There are some things I hate doing, like the elliptical, but that's just because I get bored if there's nothing good on the TV near my machine. But I love lifting, I like doing 30 Day Shred occasionally, and I adore Insanity. I also want to start running this summer, and I'm going to use the Couch to 5 K program that a previous poster mentioned.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    walking and running is great excercise!
  • SniffyDoodle
    Options
    Find exercise you enjoy and do that. I think part of the problem is that people think that *exercise* means going to a gym. Exercise can be walking with friends, swimming, playing a sport, leisurely biking.

The way I learned to love it was to find ways to integrate it into my life as a natural part of my day rather than an intentional effort. When I lived only 7 miles from my job, I bought a good bike instead of a car, and I biked everywhere... to work, to the grocery store, to the park on the weekends to play tennis with my sister. I walked with co-workers every day. I ran because it was good stress relief and it got me away from the house and kids for a while when I could just listen to my own music and get lost in my thoughts. Now that I've moved into a house that has a pool, I swim. My kids and husband will even swim with me, so they are getting exercise too and everyone loves it.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Running ..nice and simple?..You're in for a surprise.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I agree that C25K is a great place to start to get to like running... although it's the runners high at the end that I enjoy rather than actually doing the running. I tend to complain for the whole run and then the high at the end and the success of finishing makes me forget how bad it was when I was doing it. And for some reason, I always look forward to going out again.

I go to fitness pole dancing classes for my fun exercise... it's brilliant arm and core strength and such a laugh!
  • RoseThePenguin
    RoseThePenguin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just move more. You don't have to like it to do it. Get healthy and you'll feel 100x better.Or stay lazy and feel as you do now.
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I ran just because I knew I had to do something. I felt like ****ing king of the world when I finally ran two straight miles, something I couldn't even do in high school. Now my knee sucks and I can't run and I hate that more.

Work towards a goal and when you accomplish it, you'll want to kill it again and again.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Choose an exercise you love! I love walking and I do that as my main exercise.
  • kcoburn327
    kcoburn327 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think you should find some stuff you enjoy... Start with walking, swimming, water aerobics. Or something else.... A year ago you wouldn't have found me with ten miles or a gym... Now I work out 4 to 6 times a week and I love it
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am very lazy and would far rather sit in front of the computer or TV or curl up with a book. And for a while when i started trying to improve my fitness, i really struggled to work out. But just lately, after many months of forcing myself to do it and using any excuse not to, i am actually starting to not hate it.

I have a short term competition going on with a friend right now - not competing against each other but with and for each other - and having that short term, very challenging goal that i might actually be able to achieve, has me going to the gym putting in crazy time on the elliptical (pet name: monster) and treadmill every day.

So 2 things. As you get fitter and feel stronger and healthier, it DOES become easier to motivate yourself. And second, for some people, attainable goals - some short term ones even that you don't have to wait months and months for but can see on the horizon - that might help make working out easier too.

But in any case, walking and running are great. Exercise doesn't have to be formal or organized to be good exercise.

Good luck!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have finished C25K and run regularly, but frankly I don't like it so much. I love lifting, swimming, hiking, cross country skiing, walking, and my newest passion is POLE FITNESS! I agree with the posters that say that say that exercise doesn't necessarily mean going to a gym. I live in a fairly walk-able community, but I can easily put on 2-5 miles of walking per day if I decided to do my errands on foot instead of driving. Same could go for biking. Being outside drives me, but I like going to the gym, too. I don't like working out at home. You have to find what works for you!

I would definitely suggest C25K! It really, really works. Also, I recently found a running partner that I train with once per week and that adds a social aspect to my exercise. I'm also starting a yoga class with another gal a different day of the week. I like a mix of solo exercise where I can sort of meditate and some exercising with a friend for interaction.

If you don't like lifting but want strength training, you should try pole fitness. It's so fun that you don't even realize you're working out til the soreness hits! Incredible workout for upper body and core.

P.S. I did find exercise difficult and painful when I was heavier. But, it really works and you will feel better if you keep it up. Start with Leslie Sansone videos if nothing else. Get to three miles. I wanted to wait til I got below 200 to run again, and I did.
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Running ..nice and simple?..You're in for a surprise.

This ^^^^ I do boxercise, 30ds and other exercise DVD s, lift weights and running...running is the hardest I find. Exercise bike is easy though and cross trainer, maybe do that.
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have gone from HATING exercise to LOVING it!
    In reality - I just hated the exercise that I did. I realized there are literally thousands of different ways to ecercise, you just have to find the ones that YOU love and that fit you.

I used to go running - hated it! Actually, STILL hate it!
    Aerobics - never liked it, jump rope - nope, exercise machines - nope.... etc.

What did it for me was HIIT training - once I discovered it I didn't stop and now it's been maybe 3-4 years that I still do it and love every second.

Bottom line: come on... there are SO many ways to exercise (also sports!) - there has got to be at least ONE that you will love!
  • Nepion
    Nepion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, I prefer to be doing other things, like playing video games or knitting. However, I'm finding the more I deliberately exercise the less onerous it becomes. Now I feel disappointed if I don't get to exercise. (I'm still not sure I'd actually say I like it.....)

As for running, I started the C25K a few weeks ago and it's been great to have something to guide me into running. I suggest you try it if running seems like something you'd want to do.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Man this quote has been used by me three times in the last day but it has been relevant each time.

Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

Find a physical activity you enjoy besides the obvious ;P belly dancing was mentioned...a lot of people enjoy dancing and rollerblading.

My partner does roller-derby and I enjoy fire-twirling,circus skills and going to take martial arts back up.