3 week plateau, really getting discouraged

Options
I'm really getting depressed about this and keeping my motivation up is getting tougher - this is HARD work with no reward. I weighed in just now at 189.2lbs, so 0.2 OVER what I was on 3/30 (189) - ever since then I have been fluctuating between 191 & 193...today is the first day in 3 weeks that I was under 190 again (I can't believe I am actually talking about #s here, no one in the world knows how much I weigh but now all of the internet does LOL). What is going on?? Was my low weight of 189 a fluke? I just took my measurements, I've lost an inch on my waist and 0.25" in a few other places - since I took my measurements on 3/9. So its not like I'm really losing measurement-wise either.

Prior to that I also had a 3 week plateau and then lost over 3lbs over just a few days - is that just how this is going to be, plateau a few weeks then lose a few lbs? Before that I was steadily losing a bit every week and that made me much happier! I have been working out much more often lately, got an HRM to accurately figure out calories burned, have been good about logging every single day (I have been going over a bit lately, but not by much).

SO what is the deal? I'm seriously on the verge of giving up :(

Replies

• cfletch123
    Options
    I must be on that same plateau that you are on. For at least three weeks now fluctuating between 191 and 193. Last sunday I finally hit 190 but the next day back up there again. I am totally discouraged but, I know I'm eating much healthier now. When you finally get off that plateau, grab me and take me with you.. Good Luck!
  • Eastexchis1
    Options
    You can both do it. Just keep plugging along. For every pound you lose you take so strain off of your heart. I did the same thing for almost 2 weeks and I was being so good on my diet. In fact I was eating about only 2/3rds of my calories,but no exercise because of spinal problems. Figured out how to use recumbent bike for a little while each day and it jump started the weight loss again and I am getting better about eating more of my calories. Trying to not use artificial sweeteners either. I am doing no sugar and no white flour. Good luck cfletch and Urbanlotus.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is not aplateau - 3 months may be...

Our bodies need to readjust along the way resulting in these stalls.

Are you underfeeding yourself? This can cause metabolic damage and result in a true plateau.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Are you underfeeding yourself? This can cause metabolic damage and result in a true plateau.

I don't know if there is a technical definition of it - what I'm saying is I've been the same weight/more for 3 weeks. If this went on for 3 months there is no way I can keep it up. I don't think I'm underfeeding, I'm at 1200 calories (which is why I feel ok going a bit over) and eat back all my exercise calories, I don't feel hungry. I know there is a lot of controversy here about 1200 cals but I have insulin resistance and other issues that affect my metabolism, eating more than that has never made me lose weight.
  • jzammetti
    Options

I don't know if there is a technical definition of it - what I'm saying is I've been the same weight/more for 3 weeks. If this went on for 3 months there is no way I can keep it up. I don't think I'm underfeeding, I'm at 1200 calories (which is why I feel ok going a bit over) and eat back all my exercise calories, I don't feel hungry. I know there is a lot of controversy here about 1200 cals but I have insulin resistance and other issues that affect my metabolism, eating more than that has never made me lose weight.

So, I know you don't want to hear this (so I wonder why I am responding) but you need to eat more. 1200 calories net is not enough for any adult person and cetainly not enough for those of us that are overweight.

Please learn about TDEE and calculate yours and then eat at a reasonable deficit from there. Underfeeding causes hormonal damage, and loss of lean body mass (which directly causes your metabolism to slow - which is why many people regain their lost weight after a time).

EDIT; I have zero experience with insulin resistance...so I have no idea how that affects a person and weight loss - maybe ask a doctor?
  • UrbanLotus
    Options

So, I know you don't want to hear this (so I wonder why I am responding) but you need to eat more. 1200 calories net is not enough for any adult person and cetainly not enough for those of us that are overweight.

Please learn about TDEE and calculate yours and then eat at a reasonable deficit from there. Underfeeding causes hormonal damage, and loss of lean body mass (which directly causes your metabolism to slow - which is why many people regain their lost weight after a time).

EDIT; I have zero experience with insulin resistance...so I have no idea how that affects a person and weight loss - maybe ask a doctor?

Yeah, I knew this thread would turn into this, which is why I preemptively said I HAVE eaten more before and it DOES NOT WORK. I HAVE learned about TDEE, BMR, etc. Does not work for me. Insulin resistance slows down your metabolism and makes it difficult to lose weight - hence my eating the 1200 calories.
  • jzammetti
    Options

Yeah, I knew this thread would turn into this, which is why I preemptively said I HAVE eaten more before and it DOES NOT WORK. I HAVE learned about TDEE, BMR, etc. Does not work for me. Insulin resistance slows down your metabolism and makes it difficult to lose weight - hence my eating the 1200 calories.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21961463

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_ways_to_improve_insulin_sensitivity

I think it is more about what you eat...do you practice a low carb lifestyle?
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Thank you for the articles! I don't, I love my carbs :(. I need to go back to my endocrinologist and ask her for specifics about what I should be doing etc - when she diagnosed me it was before I started my weight loss journey. But on a good note, I've lost 1.8lbs since I made this post! So maybe this just is my pattern - 3 week stall, then loss.