ladies: pills and weight gain??

Options
I've been taking hormone pills for 3 months now. I talked to my friends about it, because a lot of them have been taking contraception at some point in their life. What i'm taking is similar, due to weight loss I lost my periods, and now i'm on hormone therapy and i started getting my period every month.
I noticed that my hips, love handles and boobs got bigger and chubbier. I'm sure i'm working out and eating properly, because doing the same thing proved to work in the past, when i lost all the weight and got lean.
So yes, some of my friends told me that they did gain weight and some of them told me that it's a myth and that only eating excessively can make you gain weight.
Now, I'm frustrated because i'm doing all this hard work and not getting the results that i want. I know it's probably just bloating and retaining water and not real fat, but still.
Can't exactly ask my doctor about this because i'm studying abroad.
I'm on the verge of just quitting the therapy, but then my parents will kill me. I understand i sound childish but all this work and no results is really frustrating :(
has any of you had similar experiences?

Replies

• RecoveringToHealthy
    RecoveringToHealthy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The only time I've really gained weight was during my recovery from anorexia. I lost my period, but just before it came back I started to get bigger boops and bigger thighs. So yeah, hormones can definitely change your body.

May I ask why you're taking hormone pills?
  • ldowning92
    Options
    I know what you mean, it is frustrating! Maybe try asking for a different therapy at your local doctors if you have a clinic on campus that you can transfer to or at a family planning clinic?
    Hormone pills affect people differently so you might find even a different brand would have fewer side effects. I tried a couple of different pills because of the bloating and the mood swings but found the arm implant was much better!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i lost my period and i have to take them in order to get fertile again. not that i want kids now but it's bad if a woman is infertile at any point of her life, apparently.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you lost so much weight that you lost your period, then it's probably okay to gain some back. If you're concerned about the side effects, then either contact your doctor by phone or seek out one near where you are now. Whatever route you decide to take, your overall health is important. Take care of yourself.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes, I gained 15 pounds after going on birth control pills. I did not change my eating or work outs at all, so yes I attribute it to shifts in hormones. My body doesn't do well on synthetic hormones at all. Every time I've been on them, I've had problems. Now I've had a hysterectomy and my doctor put me on progesterone cream which works so much better for me at balancing my hormones, and it hasn't made me gain any weight.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    i lost my period and i have to take them in order to get fertile again. not that i want kids now but it's bad if a woman is infertile at any point of her life, apparently.

If you don't want to take the pills, don't take them.

When I first stopped taking birth control pills, my period stopped for three months. My doctor said that there is no medical need for a period to come. Granted, if you want to be fertile, it helps to ovulate, but I really don't want to have kids.