Fiberone bars

Options
ok this post is kinda gross but I must say something.

I love the taste of fiberone caramel and oat and the others.. great way to get your fiber in but I work in public service and some of
the side effects of fiber one are a bit ,,, noisey.. errr plus your constantly going to the washroom is this just me but anyone else notice the `side effects of this`` I started taking beano ,,, but jeez,,

Replies

• terib67
    terib67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!! I too, have enjoyed fiber one bars, but definitely noticed that side effect. The nutritional nurse helping me informed me it's because of the sugar-alcohols they put in bars like that (sorry I can't remember the exact name) your body has a hard time processing them. Hope that helps!
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Fiber One bars - love them! I don't get this side effect, but I drink a lot of water. Maybe try more water?
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I like them, too. I don't get the side effects, but I also try to get plenty of water and alway get enough (or more) fiber each day from various sources.
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I understand. I could clear a room with the side effects!
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    The package contains the warning that they may cause a laxative effect.....

The extra fiber is from chemical compounds, not natural sources. You may be sensitive to those compounds and may need to find other sources of fiber.
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I noticed when I was eating them frequently, I had more BM's, but not gas. This topic came up as I was watching "The Biggest Loser" with my sister several weeks ago, and she said alot of people call them, "Fart Bars." I thought it was funny. But, I might suggest cutting down on them if it is bothering you. They do contain alot of fiber in them, though they are quite tasty.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    you're probably getting that reaction because of the immense amounts of highly processed ingredients in the bar. Things like soy oil, hydrogenated "vegetable" oils (including soy), etc. Those things are garbage IMO and you know what we say... garbage in = garbage out.
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A registered dietician told me the ingredient causing the 'gassy' feeling is the chickery root...some people digest it better than others. She, herself, said she cannot eat that product at all; however, I can eat them several times a day and not have any problems. I love them! Maybe try eating half a bar a day, see how it goes and then work your way up to a full bar if you wish. Good luck! Hugs, SisterC
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Never had that problem. But I have from Alli if you eat to much fat. Does anyone use Alli?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that problem. The only time I get gassy is if I go for a long time without getting up to my fiber goal and then later getting up to it...your body is just adjusting. The beano should help. :happy: I ate the off-brand of Fiber One & found out they have high fructose corn syrup in there so if that's something any of you are worried about, I'd check the Fiber One boxes!!
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    I love FiberOne bars. I had that issue only the firsty few days I was eating them, but it soon passed. I really believe it was because of how little fiber I was getting before. My body just needed to adjust.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    This topic came up as I was watching "The Biggest Loser" with my sister several weeks ago, and she said alot of people call them, "Fart Bars." I thought it was funny.
    :laugh: You know everyone reacts differently to the same foods. I have yet to try them, but maybe eat half a bar or two to um...get things rolling? Just try it when you don't have to work. :laugh: