Exercise plan for someone who can't really run?

Options
Hi all! A few months ago I jumped on the C25K bandwagon, but since I am so large and have never really run before, I ended up hurting my knee pretty badly. I want to lose a significant amount of weight before I start running again.

The problem is, what do I do instead? I like to walk, but it gets boring if I use it as my main source of exercise. I am looking for a variety of good, fat-burning exercises for someone who is very large and very sedentary. I have been doing a fat-burning pilates video for the past few weeks, but it is already becoming boring to me, so I just want to have a variety of exercises to choose from.

Any ideas would be great. Thank you!

Replies

• ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How about borrowing a friend or neighbor's dog and taking it for a walk every day?
  • trevebyn
    trevebyn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How about an exercise bike in front of the tv and use it whilst watching our favourite programmes?
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. You don't ever necessarily think how many cal's you can burn with a simple walk, but it's a good amount.

Also, exercise bike. You can find good bikes for cheap these days. Just 5 minutes per day with a good pace on an exercise bike can make a real difference over time.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Start by walking. Cheap exercise bikes have a pretty low weight limit so don't spend money on something you might not be able to use.

You can find a lot of workouts videos for free on Youtube too!
  • candymara
    candymara Posts: 49
    Options
    I literally CANT run since I am in a wheelchair but it doesn't have to stop you from exercising. My favourite exercise activities are swimming and rowing machines :)
    In fact I'm going to be joining a Rowing club in june!

If you can walk instead of run, that's ok too. Try walking with ankle and wrist weights!
  • JaimeMWS
    JaimeMWS Posts: 36
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, swimming is highly aerobic and doesn't put any stress on the knees. Some pools have water aerobics classes that are fun.
  • susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm a frustrated runner too - my knee just won't take it. So - I do spin classes, row, walk up steep hills, pilates, swim, aqua classes, strength/weight exercises (often easier if you're big and strong - one plus for us). You can ride a bike, clean house energetically - it all helps. And if you don't want to go to a gym, borrow a book from the library on bodyweight exercises - that way you don't even need any gear to work out - the library will have other exercise dvds too so you can change it up and not get bored.

Anything that gets you out of breath and pink in the face is spot on!

Good luck - you'll find a way and soon you'll be jogging with the best

S:happy:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight of 237 I started riding a 3 wheel recumbent bike. I have severe back, neck and knee issues, so this particular trike was the only way I could exercise at the time. I started slowly and worked my way up a little at a time. When the weather got bad, I bought an indoor stationary recumbent and rode it while I watched TV. Started off with an easy tension (2) and worked my way up. This week I have ridden 3 times outside (5 miles, 5.3 miles, and just finished up 4 miles) and I rode 30 minutes on the indoor yesterday. I am 50 lbs lighter, and stronger than I have been in many years.
    The recumbent bikes are much easier on your knees and back, especially for larger people. They also high a higher weight capacity.
    My two have helped me get my life back, after being disabled for several years.
    You can do this. Just take it slow and be consistent. It won't happen overnight, but it WILL happen!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Half of my obese clients started kickboxing with me to lose weight and get fit. May need to modify some moves, but the calorie burn is great.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My knees can't take running but I love to hike. If there are any great trails around you can burn just as many calories as running on the right inclines. Check out geocacheing. It is kind of like treasure hunting outdoors. It can be challenging and fun.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Pending double knee replacements here. I do stationary bike, elliptical and a lot of seated upper body workouts both with and without 3 lbs weights. Works great!
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Can you try a Les Mills Body Pump class somewhere? They just rock (imo), a good, music driven weight class for any size and age. I don't like to run and this was a great way for me to exercise.
  • evilfairies
    evilfairies Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, these are great ideas! I don't have access to a pool unfortunately, but hiking is a good idea as well as getting a stationery bike. I've taken classes before, but my self-consciousness usually takes over and I have to leave the class early.
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    burpee's, jump rope, jumping jacks, jump squats, believe it or not they will burn alot of fat off you if you do variations of them with minimal breaks in between and keep the heart rate elevated. these are great body weight exercises that you could start with, and easily do at home as well. or if you have a gym membership, check out some of their classes they offer. my fav is kettle bells. we did like 5 minutes of jumping jacks towards the end of the 50 minute class and it wiped me out, i forget how well a simple exercise like that works. theres a lot of simple routines that utilize body weight (especially untill you strengthen your overall body) for strength training and cardio routines. highly recommended to start with this type of routine and progress to weights and other forms of strenuous cardio, etc...untill your body is ready, to prevent further injury. even swimming!!! thats good stuff there. just make sure whatever it is you do, that it challenges you. and when you've mastered that routine up the intensity, or switch to a new one to keep challenging the system. if it ever starts to become monotonous or easy time to find something else fun to do
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of DDP Yoga? When I started the program eleven weeks ago, I struggled to walk for extended periods of time and was incapable of running (I'd broken my ankle/leg in two places the previous year). Not only can I run now, but I've lost 47 lbs (though some of that is due to improved diet, obviously), am more flexible than I've ever been in my adult life, and no longer have foot, knee, back, or shoulder pain (from various issues gained over the last twelve years or so).
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    walk! find new places to go walk, new parks - volunteer to walk someone's dog (elderly friend/neighbor, shelter, etc). When I was at my heaviest at 260, I couldn't even walk up just 1 flight of stairs before getting embarassingly winded (up to my boss's office, of course!). So that's how I started. Just 1 lap around the block was a lot. Then I found an adjacent loop that was a half mile, and would add a lap, then another, etc and built up from there. Walk with friends! Get a good book or podcast to listen to while you walk. :) I park farther away at work, and whenever I go to the bathroom, I make a loop around the office. I also walk on my lunch - I like the fresh air and sun!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Walking is good if you enjoy it. Find different routes and enjoy the view.

I've got a bad ankle and I pay for days after I run so I use a stationary bike and a regular bike for a lot of my cardio. Cycling outside is fun, too.

DVDs for interval training that use light weights & cardio are great, too. Most have three levels so you can modify to your abilities.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you live or work in a building with several flights of stairs you can use then, too. Many years ago I lived in a 6 story apartment & I would climb the stairs several times for exercise. Going up counts but going down takes less effort so it counts less.