Is it ok to increase calories to 1400

Options
I have been eating 1200 calories a day since 1/4/13. have lost 32 pounds. I am 5'6 166 pounds and 51 after reading some of the message boards I am wondering if I should increase my calories since my weight lose has stalled. My goal is 135-140.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes - you ahve been seriously undereating. You should calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat at a reasonable deficit from there (maybe 15%) and start heavy lifting if you aren't already.
  • hollimahoney
    Options
    Hello!

I think you could increase at 100 cals a week and up your intensity of your workouts. When you stop losing then you know to stop the calorie increase. Try to remember that calories aren't the only factor so look at protein, carbs, ect. :)
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of the previous posts, I would suggest comparing a few different calorie recommendations and find which best fits your lifestyle. Your activity level could even be higher than 1400.
  • wendiebradley
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss! I started MFP about 9 weeks ago, and have been following the 1200 calorie goal per day with the exception of the 4 days a week, I'm exercising (elliptical and weights for a total hour) and have only lost 4 pounds! (Good news is I AM losing inches) I'm beginning to wonder, like you, if I shouldn't be looking at increasing the calories. Seems like I'm hungry all the time - especially after work out days. I'll be curious to see if you increase, how it works. Good luck!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I increased my calories from 1500 to 2000 and changed my macros to 40%carbs, 30%protein and 30%fat. And even though I haven't exercised for two weeks due to a bronchitis, I've still lost a pound a week.
    So don't just look at calories, look at where they come from. I'm definitely in favour of eating more :-)
    (5'7" and 165lbs)
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    if weight loss has stalled increasing to 1400 and staying there is not going to solve your problem - its about being dynamic and trying to keep your body guessing. try raising to 1300-1400 in combination with changing up your exercise routine and increasing your intensity