First post: what do I do after a binge? :(

Options
I have been following a 1200 cal diet pretty closely with a cheat day once a week or once every two weeks and have been exercising 5x a week. I have lost 19 pounds but still need to lose about 22-27 more. I totally binged today its not even 6pm and i have already eat 3,170 calories. I plan on not eating for the rest of the day and Im still going to go workout on the elliptical for an hour. I dont want to stunt my progress. Should I maybe do an hour of walking on the treadmill? or workout a 6th day this week to offset my binge. I've already had my cheat meal this week so this makes me feel really crapy :(
I just got on birth control and i swear it makes me sooo hungry I can eat and eat and not get full. Any advice would be appreciated

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories, I'm guessing you probably have A LOT of room for extra calories. Rather than worry about what you can do now that you've done it I would ask yourself what you can do to prevent it from happening again. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest calculating your TDEE and BMR and trade quick weight loss for sustainable weight loss. Eating appropriate amounts of calories will certainly help with the binging. Best of luck and dont beat yourself up!
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It happens. Don't beat yourself up. Sounds like you've been doing great, and 19 lbs. is wonderful progress. Do your exercise, and get back to it tomorrow. Maybe ask your dr. if your b. control has any side affects like hunger.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Eat steamed or stir-fried broccoli. It has hardly any calories and will make you feel full so you won't want to eat as much.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    tommorrows a new day........... just forgett about that binge, go for a walk. if the birth control is the cause seek medical advice
    also maybe 1200 cal is not enough for you,
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    After a binge, brush it off and start new the next day.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Let it go. It happens. Think of it as keeping your metabolism revved up if you have to justify it somehow, but let it go.
  • starrynight1929
    starrynight1929 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't impact your weight loss significantly. The most important thing you can do is get back on track ASAP, like other people said. Go back to your 1200 calories a day tomorrow. And to be positive, it was probably good for your metabolism to have that 3,000 calories today.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    You "binged" because you're eating too little. You need to up your calories to a reasonable level. Please read the following info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
    It will help you set a healthier, more realistic goal.

Also just over 3000 calories is not binging imo. I would probably scare the crap out of you when I have one of those days when I could just eat everything in sight. Or any day before I decided to get healthy, really.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating back those exercise calories you are setting yourself up for long term failure.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I have been following a 1200 cal diet pretty closely with a cheat day once a week or once every two weeks and have been exercising 5x a week. I have lost 19 pounds but still need to lose about 22-27 more. I totally binged today its not even 6pm and i have already eat 3,170 calories. I plan on not eating for the rest of the day and Im still going to go workout on the elliptical for an hour. I dont want to stunt my progress. Should I maybe do an hour of walking on the treadmill? or workout a 6th day this week to offset my binge. I've already had my cheat meal this week so this makes me feel really crapy :(
    I just got on birth control and i swear it makes me sooo hungry I can eat and eat and not get full. Any advice would be appreciated

1) your calories are very likely too low. did you calculate 1200 or did you just choose that number based on what a friend told you?
    2) 1 day is not going to hurt you. 3200 calories translates to maybe 8 ounces of extra new fat after you subtract your calorie needs for the day. even less than that if you do some cardio to increase your TDEE.
    3) the trick is to not let a 1 day binge turn into a 1 week binge and to not let that turn into a 1 month binge. but 1 isolated day is irrelevant in the big picture.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    What I would do (and have done) after a binge? Forget it, start fresh tomorrow and work to make it as good as you can, as others have said , I think your cravings are from not eatting enough, Please read through some stuff and listen to people who have lost a bunch on here.

Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

use this to figure your numbers if you want detail
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it - forgive yourself and forget about it, so you can move on. DO NOT restrict tomorrow to try to make up for it, because you'll just set yourself up for another binge! And that's a vicious cycle. Once is fine, but trust me - you don't want to get in the cycle where you starve-binge-starve-binge over and over and over again. Also, you're eating very little all week - maybe that's why your body cried out for more food today?