Calculating Restaurant Calories

iguanaliz
iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Is there any rule of thumb regarding estimating calories in restaurant meals? I am going to a family event today at a local, privately owned restaurant. That means no readily available nutrition information. I'd like to think that if I stick with things like the tuna sashimi or a nice salad with low cal dressing, I'll be okay. But seeing how many calories are in seemingly innocent sounding meals at some of the larger chains, I'm not so sure. Any advice or suggestions? (It's an Irish pub, but they have standard American fare as well.)

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    How fun! I would just ask questions about how the foodis cooked and omit the sauces, butters, and ask for the dressing on the side. Have a good time and don't let the food control you!:heart::flowerforyou:
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    i have this problem also so what i do in this case is get as close as possible by tracking a similar meal at chain restaurant like applebees. I know this is not totally accurate but it is better than not tracking at all. I also add like an extra few calories to insure i don't go over. Probably not the best thing to do but better nothing at all. If you figure out a better way let me know i am open to new suggestions. I also ask at the restaurant if they have the nutritional values of things on the menu, sometimes they do and other times they look at me like i am nuts or laugh, and i laugh with them. Have a great day!:flowerforyou:
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Both great ideas! Eh, I don't worry about them looking at me like I'm nuts. It's a neighborhood place so they know me...and my nuttiness. It's just not generally dieting-related nutiness :-) Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.